Chicken Smothered with Marsala Mushrooms is an easy chicken marsala recipe. Thinly sliced chicken cutlets are quickly sauteed in a skillet until golden brown, then smothered with marsala wine, mushrooms, and parsley. Healthy, delicious, and a one-skillet meal helps make dinner a snap!
If you know me, then you’ll know that I adore easy one-skillet meals like this one. I am usually, and almost always – pressed for time, and need to make dinner in a hurry.
Chicken Smothered with Marsala Mushrooms…
- Using thin chicken cutlets is what helps me get this dish done in minutes. No need to pound them.
- For me, thinly sliced chicken cutlets cook up quickly.
- Keep in mind, that you can make this dish with chicken thighs, or chicken breasts, but will need more time to fully cook the chicken.
- This is a simple recipe. Perfect dinner to serve family and friends.
What is Chicken Marsala?
Chicken Marsala is a classic Italian dish served in most Italian restaurants. It is a dish made with tender pieces of chicken and it’s served with a rich, savory mushroom sauce. At times, it is served with a side of pasta.
What is Marsala?
Marsala is an Italian wine with a long shelf life. Always look for good quality Marsala wine and skip the ones labeled “cooking wine.” It makes a huge difference in flavor.
How To Make Chicken Marsala? (3 Easy Steps!)
- First, we need to prep the mushrooms and set them aside. Then cut the chicken cutlets into smaller pieces.
- Next, in one large skillet, we saute the mushrooms until brown and tender and remove them aside. Then we saute the chicken until golden on both sides.
- Finally, the two are joined together and finished off with some marsala wine, chicken broth, and lots of fresh parsley. Simmered for a few minutes more, and dinner is ready in 15 minutes!
*Full recipe card below!
Ingredients for Chicken Smothered with Marsala Mushrooms:
For our recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic cloves
- crushed red pepper flakes
- white mushrooms or any mushrooms sliced
- salt and black pepper
- fresh parsley
- skinless thin chicken cutlets (about 5 to 6 cutlets)
- all-purpose flour (or GF )
- Marsala wine
- chicken or vegetable broth
DIRECTIONS To Make Chicken Marsala:
1. First, rinse the mushrooms, drain them, and set them aside. Next, prepare the chicken. Rinse each chicken cutlet and cut each one in half or into thirds, depending on its size. Then set aside.
2. In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Heat over medium heat, until butter is melted. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté garlic for about 1 minute.
3. Add the mushrooms and salt and sauté the mushrooms for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, and until they are golden.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of Marsala wine, and simmer for 1 minute. Sprinkle and stir some chopped parsley on top, and turn off the heat. Transfer mushrooms into a dish or bowl and set them aside.
4. Place some flour into a shallow plate. Set aside.
5. In the same large skillet, heat additional olive oil and butter over medium heat. Take each chicken cutlet and place it into the flour, one at a time, and gently coat both sides with flour. Shake off excess. Transfer each one into the heated skillet.
6. Sauté the chicken for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste and some fresh parsley.
7. Transfer the mushrooms mixture back into the skillet and over the chicken. Add in the remaining marsala wine, and simmer on low heat for about 1 minute. Take a wooden spoon and gently stir while scraping the bottom of the pan, to deglaze the dish.
8. Finally, add the chicken broth and cover it with a lid. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Top with some fresh parsley. Remove and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with more fresh parsley on top. Serve immediately. Time: about15 minutes.
Cook’s Notes and Tips!
- It’s best to rinse and drain your mushrooms before using them. They will always come with some soil or sand on them.
- Keep in mind, that mushrooms will release a lot of liquid and moisture into the skillet while you are cooking them. And that’s ok. You will need to continue to simmer them until all the excess liquid has been absorbed. Then add the Marsala wine to the mushrooms.
- Also, I added 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, giving this dish a little more heat. But you can reduce that amount to about a pinch or two. And that will be fine.
- Need Additional Sauce or Gravy? Sure! Just add an additional 1/2 cup or more of broth into the mixture and simmer for a minute or so before serving.
- Desire To Be Creamy? You may add a little cream and even fresh thyme and you’ll get rave reviews, no doubt.
Chicken Smothered with Marsala, Mushrooms and Parsley will make a delicious meal.
It’s a very light dish, not heavy, and very flavorful!
The chicken is insanely moist and the rich, savory sauce along with tender mushrooms add another level of flavor and round out this dish.
Options for sides to serve…
Serve with a green salad on the side to complement the meal, or try any of these:
- creamy mashed cauliflower (low-carb)
This dish is so… amazing!
Oh and don’t forget a great bottle of wine! ...then it’s perfect!
… Thanks for PINNING!
Additional Recipes for Chicken … try these!
- Sauteed Chicken Cutlets with Cherry Tomatoes, Olives, Feta and Basil.
- Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce.
- Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata.
- Chicken Cutlets with Garlicky Asparagus.
- Chicken Rollatini with Ham Cheese and Spinach.
Finally, try another popular recipe for Marsala…
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil - divided
- 3 Tbsp. butter - divided
- 4 garlic cloves - sliced
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh sliced white button or Crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley - divided
- 1 pound (16-ounces) skinless thin chicken cutlets (about 5 to 6 cutlets)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp. Marsala wine - divided
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- First, rinse each cutlet. Then prepare the chicken cutlets by cutting each one in half or into thirds, depending on its size. Then set them aside.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. And heat over medium heat, until butter is melted.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté garlic for about 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and salt, and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the excess liquid has evaporated.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Marsala wine, and simmer for 1 minute. Sprinkle some chopped parsley on top, and turn off the heat. Transfer mushrooms into a dish or bowl, and set them aside.
- Next, place the flour into a small plate. Set aside.
- In the same large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Take each chicken cutlet and place it into the flour, one at a time, gently coat both sides with flour and shake off excess flour. Transfer each one into the heated skillet.
- Sauté the chicken for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste and some fresh parsley.
- Transfer mushrooms back into the larger skillet and over the chicken.
- Add in the remaining Marsala wine, and simmer on low heat for about 1 minute. Take a wooden spoon and gently stir while scraping the bottom of the pan, to deglaze the dish.
- Add the chicken broth and COVER with a lid. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Top with some extra fresh parsley. Remove and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with more fresh parsley on top. Serve immediately. Time: 15 minutes.
- Serves 4
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 22.1gSaturated Fat: 7.3gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 11.2gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 2.1gProtein: 40.9g