An easy, delicious Skillet Tortellini Dinner in a creamy sauce is made with caramelized onions, peas, bacon, cheese, and cream. You can serve as a comforting weeknight meal, or double its size for a gathering because everyone will love this dish! And it’s ready in 20 minutes!
Tortellini are little pasta, typically the size of a quarter or smaller and stuffed with cheese. Tortellini are similar to Agnolotti which is also little pasta stuffed with a variety of fillings such as meat and vegetables.
Both are wonderful to use in soups or serve with sauce-based dishes.
I prefer cheese-filled tortellini for this recipe.
You’ll notice the creamy cheesy tortellini gets infused with smoky flavors from the bacon and caramelized onions.
Besides, it’s loaded with so many textures and flavors everyone will go “WOW” after their first bite! …and they will even ask for more!
I made this for dinner the other night and my son went nuts over this dish! He said, “hey MA! … needs more cream, and this is literally crack!”
So, I adjusted my recipe for more cream! 🙂
We enjoy making skillet dinners from time to time and some of our favorites have been our pasta with veal in lemon sauce, and our classic easy shrimp dinner, and our warm tortellini and broccoli salad, just to name a few.
But this one is a little different…
Instead of boiling the pasta separately in a large pasta pot, the tortellini actually cooks inside the skillet along with the peas and caramelized onions! Perfect!
And with this method, it makes this meal great for an easy clean-up!
How Do You Make This Easy Skillet Tortellini Dinner?
1. First, remove the package of tortellini from the freezer and open the package. Set it aside.
2. Second, cook the bacon. I prefer to cook a few bacon strips in a small skillet until it’s fully cooked crispy. If you prefer, you can cook the bacon in the microwave. Then, crumble the bacon or place each piece into a mini chopper, pulse a few times to chop it.
3. Next, place a large, deep skillet on the stove-top. Heat olive oil and butter, toss in the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are golden.
4. Toss in the peas and simmer for a few minutes.
5. Then, pour in the broth and bring the broth to a low simmer.
6. Toss in the frozen tortellini, raise the heat, and cover the skillet with a lid. Simmer the tortellini for a few minutes.
7. Toss in chopped bacon and grated cheese and gently stir to combine.
8. Remove the cover and pour in the heavy cream, and gently stir the tortellini to blend the mixture. Simmer until most of the liquid is almost absorbed and the tortellini is tender.
9. Then turn off the heat. Here is where you can add in a little more cream if you prefer it creamier. Then transfer to a casserole dish and serve!
Cook’s Notes and Tips for Success!
Frozen or refrigerated cheese tortellini will work well with this recipe simply because tortellini cooks up quickly.
Keep in mind, the tortellini will absorb most of the cream, so the longer it sits, the more the cream will get absorbed. Therefore, add in extra cream if you prefer this dish to be more creamy.
I used only 3 thick slices of bacon. But if you want more bacon? Sure, why not! You can use 4 to 5 thin slices of bacon.
My Easy Skillet Tortellini Dinner is definitely a winner and a keeper!
This is such a delicious dish. The outcome was FANTASTIC! I bet your family and friends will go bonkers over it.
Serve this easy skillet tortellini dinner with a side of greens, and choose one from our 13 Fast & Easy Salads for a complete meal.
Easy Skillet Tortellini Dinner is truly worth making! You’ll have to try my recipe because I am certain it won’t disappoint.
More Easy Dinner Recipes!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 3 thick slices of bacon - cooked
- 1 + 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 garlic clove - chopped
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 2 cups frozen baby peas - rinsed
- 1 + 3/4 cups of vegetable broth
- 16-ounces (or 24-oz) package of frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 + 1/4 cups heavy cream, and extra
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- First, cook the bacon, then transfer to a mini chopper and pulse a few times to chop it. Set it aside.
- Next, in a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter on medium heat, toss in the garlic and onions and cook the onions for 3 to 5 minutes until golden color.
- Toss in the peas and simmer on low heat for about 2 minutes to flavor the peas.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Toss in the frozen cheese tortellini and raise the heat and cover with a lid. Then simmer on low heat for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the cover to check on the tortellini, gently stir the tortellini.
- When tortellini is almost ready, toss in chopped bacon and grated pecorino cheese. Gently stir to combine.
- Finally, pour in the heavy cream and with a spatula, to help flip over the mixture and continue to simmer for a few minutes more, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the sauce has thickened a little. Taste the tortellini and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Give it a final stir and transfer to a casserole dish. Then serve!
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489
Hello friend! Did you try our skillet tortellini dinner recipe? Let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below in our recipe card! We’d love to hear from you! 🙂
For more delicious dinner ideas and recipes, follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘ Weekly Subscribe Newsletter Box’ and get our new recipes FREE every time we post, and a reminder of great older ones too!
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by…
xo Anna and Liz