Baked Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole is like eating cauliflower mac and cheese, only instead of pasta as in the “mac,” it’s packed with only cauliflower! This low-calorie, Keto-friendly, gluten-free casserole is creamy delicious, and it makes a wonderful side dish that’s loaded with nutrients!
I mean, how many ways can we make cauliflower?
We buy cauliflower weekly. So when it comes to dreaming up different ways to make it for my family, it’s not easy.
Every so often I make my girl’s favorite cauliflower dish: my pasta with creamy cauliflower.
But since my girls have been home for the past few weeks, they requested for some low-carb, gluten-free dishes for dinner.
So when I was craving for some comfort food like mac and cheese (… but I’m always voted out), I decided to make this baked cheesy cauliflower casserole instead.
Simple, easy, and totally delicious! This cauliflower dish turned out better than I expected.
This recipe serves four people. If you need more servings you will need to double this recipe.
And it reheats beautifully.
For this recipe, you will need:
9-inch baking dish
one small head of cauliflower
a few seasonings
How To Make Baked Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole (full recipe card below).
This recipe couldn’t be easier!
1. First, cut up the cauliflower, cutting the florets, and discard the cord. Then give it a good rinse. Next, in a medium-size pot, toss in the florets and pour water up to one inch.
2. Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer the cauliflower for a few minutes. Turn off heat. Drain water and cover to steam for 2 to 4 minutes, until tender.
3. Transfer cauliflower to a baking dish.
4. In the meantime, make the cheese sauce. In a small saucepan, pour in the cream, then add in the mustard, seasonings, and cheddar cheese. Simmer until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens.
5. Pour the cheese sauce directly over the cauliflower. Then bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until the cheese sauce is bubbling and cauliflower is golden on top.
Cook’s Notes and Tips!
You can adapt this recipe and use a blend of shredded cheeses to your liking.
Can we use frozen cauliflower florets? I haven’t yet but I’m sure it’s fine.
You may add additional seasonings to your liking, try a splash of smoked paprika.
If you don’t have heavy cream, you can use 1 cup of milk or almond milk, and whisk in 2 teaspoons of flour (or GF flour) and simmer until the sauce thickens. Then add in the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese completely melts.
Don’t forget to scoop up some of that delicious cheese sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle over each serving. It’s the best!
Your family will love this baked cheesy cauliflower casserole as much as we do!
This is a delicious cheesy dish. Eat it alone, or serve it as a side for dinner.
Best of all, it’s high in protein and only 198 calories per serving! I think you’ll want to add it to your rotation!
…Thanks for Pinning!
Looking for more ways to cook cauliflower? Try these…
MAKE THE CHEESE SAUCE:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Protein: 9.9g
If you make our baked cheesy cauliflower casserole, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating! We’d love to hear from you. Sharing your insights and experiences helps everyone who reads them, and helps us too!
For more delicious recipes…
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Weekly Newsletter Box’ and be the first to get new recipes every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
HAPPY Baking! 🙂
xo Anna and Liz