Baked Cauliflower Wings with homemade buffalo sauce are simple, mildly spicy, and totally delicious! These are bite-size cauliflower florets baked until crunchy, then tossed with a homemade buffalo sauce and broiled for a few minutes longer until the sauce caramelizes. So Good! Maybe, no one will miss the chicken wings with this recipe.
Vegans will love them as well, just switch out the butter for vegan butter! Serve alone or with your favorite dipping sauce and you will have a fun appetizer for your guests on game night!
Cauliflower wings are made with a simple homemade buffalo sauce that tastes amazing!
These spicy cauliflower wings are so much healthier to eat!
Let’s face it, homemade buffalo sauce is so much better, and with only 4 ingredients, you really can’t go wrong!
No need to buy buffalo sauce when you can make it at home in 5 minutes!
Recently, my daughter and I went to lunch downtown Charleston, and these cauliflower wings were on their menu. More and more restaurants are adapting their menus adding a few vegan dishes to them.
So, when I saw these cauliflower wings on the menu I was curious to make them as an appetizer.
And since my kids love to order their favorite bar food, buffalo chicken wings, why not try to make them something that is better and even healthier.
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER WINGS:
1. First, open 1 head of cauliflower and break apart or cut off its florets. Place them into a non-stick medium size pan.
2. Bake the cauliflower at 425 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes, until they are slightly charred. Remove and set them aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup of hot sauce, with 4 tablespoons of butter, some honey, and garlic powder. Simmer on low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring until the sauce bubbles around the edges and reduces a little.
4. Then taste the buffalo sauce and judge yourself if it has too much heat. I didn’t think so, but everyone’s taste is different. This is where you can adjust the heat to the sauce, adding more honey, if desired.
You can replace real butter with vegan butter and please all the vegans in the house!
5. Next, transfer the cauliflower into a medium-size mixing bowl and pour the buffalo sauce into the bowl. Toss the cauliflower until the sauce coats all the florets.
6. Transfer back to the same baking or roasting pan.
7. Change the setting on your oven to Broil. And broil the cauliflower for a few minutes until the buffalo sauce caramelizes, about 5 minutes or so. Keep an eye on them while they are in the oven because all ovens vary with temperatures.
8. Remove and serve with a ranch dressing, or try our favorite Tzatziki yogurt sauce for a healthier dipping sauce.
The cauliflower will shrink down to bite-size while baking, making these better for finger-licking! And, they may even lose some of their crunchiness due to the sauce on top.
But nevertheless, they are still spicy hot delicious, and satisfying! Just serve these cauliflower wings with some cold beer nearby!
MORE Tasty Appetizers for Game Nights!
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into medium florets.
- 1/4 cup hot sauce ( I used Cholula original hot sauce)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried snipped chives, as garnish
- ranch dressing, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the cauliflower onto a baking pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until slightly charred. Remove and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, on low heat, add hot sauce, butter, honey and garlic powder. Stirring until the sauce bubbles around the edges and continue to simmer for another minute or two until if slightly reduces and thickens.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a mixing bowl. Pour the buffalo sauce over the cauliflower and toss to coat the cauliflower evenly. Transfer the cauliflower back to the same baking pan.
- Change the setting on the oven to Broil.
- Place the cauliflower in the center rack. And broil the cauliflower for a few minutes until the sauce caramelizes, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle any remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with dried snipped chives on top, as garnish.
- Serve with ranch dressing, or your favorite dipping sauce, and some carrot and celery sticks, if desired.
The cauliflower will shrink down while baking, and even lose some of their crunchiness due to the sauce on top. But they will still satisfy!
Recipe for buffalo sauce is adapted from Delish.