Potato Skin Bites as Nachos are little baked potato skins filled with our favorite taco filling, topped with diced tomatoes, green onions and shredded cheddar cheese and served as little “Nachos.” Only these are without the tortilla chips! The perfect little appetizer for all game-nights, with guaranteed success for everyone calling for more!
Let’s face it. Who doesn’t like nachos on game nights? These little potato skin bites are so versatile, you can get creative and modify the toppings to suit your taste.
Best part? 1 cup of baked tortilla chips (alone, without any toppings) is 293 calories, compared to a small potato skin, which is ONLY 50 calories! 🙂
Go ahead and jazz things up! Try substituting the filling with ground turkey, chicken, or even with refried beans, instead of beef.
This recipe is a two-step process. The first step is to bake the potatoes, and the second step is to make the filling and bake them again until the cheese is melted on top. Easy Peasy!
The key to these delicious little bites is in the meat filling. Adding a taco seasoning mix to the filling gives them our favorite taco flavors! Makes these little potato skin bites taste amazing!
I found these Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes while shopping and because of their size, they worked perfectly for this recipe. Turning these little potatoes into “Nachos” was a breeze!
To Make Potato Skin Bites as Nachos!
1. While the potatoes are baking in the oven, make the filling!
2. Simply brown ground meat in a skillet, simmer with some water and taco seasoning mix until fully cooked and tender.
3. Next, remove most of the flesh from the potato, leaving a border, about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick. Reserve the remaining flesh of the potatoes for another recipe, and can easily make potato broccoli and cheddar soup for another meal. Just Sayin’
4. Fill each potato with taco filling. Top with freshly diced tomatoes, green onions, and shredded cheese. And, bake again until the cheese is melted. Then serve!
You can never go wrong with these potato skin bites as Nachos! They’re gluten-free, inexpensive, and totally delicious! You can prepare them ahead of time, and reheat easily in the microwave or oven.
Plus, this recipe makes enough potato skin bites to feed a crowd.
Your family and friends will LOVE our Potato Skin Bites as Nachos!
The outcome was fabulous! Positively delicious! The boys really loved them and said it was like eating little soft tacos. In fact, my family gave these bites a different name, some called them “little taco potato skins” and others “little potato nachos.”
Well… whatever you may call them… “Nachos or Tacos”- makes no difference to me! You’ll just have to make this appetizer and watch them disappear!
Serve these Potato Skin Bites as Nachos warm with sour cream and guacamole on the side. They are a definite winner! 🙂
More Tasty Finger-Food Ideas For Game Nights!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 11 small Baby Dutch yellow potatoes (1.5 pounds)
- 1/2 pound of ground beef (turkey or chicken), about 2 cups
- 2/3 cup water, plus extra if needed
- 1 package of organic Taco Seasoning mix
- 2 small scallions- diced diagonally
- 1 ripe tomato- diced into tiny pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- olive oil cooking spray
- Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse potatoes in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray, or drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread it evenly on the bottom of the pan using the back of a tablespoon.
- Cut each potato in half, place cut side down on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn them over, and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Using a small spoon and remove most of the potato, leaving a thin border, about 1/4-inch thick. Reserve the potato flesh for another recipe.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size skillet, brown ground meat on medium heat until meat is fully cooked, about 3 minutes. Dissolve 2 or 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix (depending on how spicy you like it) with 2/3 cup of water. Pour into the skillet with meat, and simmer on low heat until liquid is reduced.
- Fill each potato with taco meat filling (about 1 tablespoon).
- Top each with fresh toppings: diced tomatoes, scallions, and shredded cheddar cheese. (At this point, here is where you can cover them with clear wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake and serve.)
- Then BAKE again, or microwave for a few minutes, until the cheese slightly melts or is melted.
- Allow resting for a few minutes before serving. Serve them warm.
- Yields: 22 potato skin bites
…Thanks for Pinning!
Hello friends! If you make these delicious potato skin bites, please tell us and leave a comment with a star rating in our recipe card! Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram and on Pinterest; be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes. Also, try easy sheet pan nachos or one with easy beef nacho recipe.
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Subscribe to 2 Sisters Recipes Weekly Newsletter and get all new posts, and reminders of some great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Anna and Liz