Potato Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Our Potato Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is thick, creamy, cheesy delicious! Loaded with vegetables and chopped broccoli for some texture, this potato broccoli, and cheddar soup is one hearty bowl of goodness that’s easy and comforting.
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
We LOVE this soup! It’s thick, creamy, filling, and big on flavor!
Oh and did I mention – there is NO cream added whatsoever!!! Plus, it is gluten-free too.
For this recipe, I made a large batch this past weekend and was able to store some in the freezer for another dinner during the week.
Loaded with flavor, this broccoli and cheddar soup is perfect for a chilly evening.
Serve it with a side of our Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich, or with our Italian Muffuletta Sandwich for an easy dinner.
This recipe for potato broccoli and cheddar soup makes enough to feed a large crowd.
I made this soup in a large pot on the stovetop, but it can be easily made in your crockpot, or slow cooker as well.
How To Make Potato Broccoli and Cheddar Soup?
- First, simmer cubed potatoes, onions, and celery with vegetable or chicken broth and water.
- Then add in some steamed chunks of broccoli (and reserve about 1 to 2 cups), and puree it with an immersion hand-held blender, to get a luscious velvety texture. And, you can puree it right in the pot for easy cleanup – it is even better!
- Next, after it’s pureed, add in the extra chunks of cooked broccoli to give the soup some texture. Then stir in the cheddar cheese. As the cheese melts into the soup it will enhance the cheese flavor. Making every spoonful SO GOOD!
Everyone gave it a thumbs up. I hope you love this soup as much as we do!
Additional Options To Jazz it up…
- some strips of cooked bacon crumbled on top of each bowl.
- sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese on top.
Questions and Answers…
- Can I Use Frozen Broccoli? Yes, indeed. You will need to defrost the broccoli in a colander, rinse and drain, then toss it into the soup. And reserve some to toss in at the end.
- Can We Freese This Soup? This recipe makes enough soup for you to freeze half the batch for another evening. But first, you must wait for the soup to cool completely before storing it in a plastic container and freezing it.
- How Long Can We Freeze It? Soup freezes well for up to one month. Allow to defrost completely before reheating.
Don’t forget to Pin it! … and SHARE! thanks again!
More Comforting Soup Recipes!
- Creamy Butternut Squash Potato Soup
- Split Pea and Thyme Soup
- Potato-Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Broccoli Zucchini Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Parmesan Soup
Potato, Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Potato, Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is easy to make. It is thick, creamy and comforting. Loaded with veggies and fresh chopped broccoli, along with cheddar cheese, makes one hearty soup that's filling, and delicious. Perfect for family and friends on a chilly night.
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks- chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion- chopped
- 5-pound bag yellow potatoes- peeled, cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth, or low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 small broccoli heads (3 to 4 cups) - divided
- 1+ 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, extra for garnish
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- optional: cooked bacon, crumbled or croutons for garnish
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add celery and onions, and sauté until they are softened about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, and salt. Cover with a lid.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then lower heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn off the heat.
In the meantime:
- Clean the outer skins of the broccoli and chop them into tiny, bite-size pieces. In a medium pot, bring 1-inch of water to a boil, then add broccoli and cover.
- Simmer the broccoli on a low boil for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the broccoli to steam for another 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. The color of the broccoli should be bright green and tender.
- Add only HALF the cooked broccoli to the potatoes. Reserve and set aside the other half.
- Using an immersion hand-held blender, begin to slowly pulse up and down directly inside the large pot of soup to puree the potato and broccoli. Puree until well blended. If you don't have one, then blend in your blender but only in small batches and only use the lowest speed. The heat of the soup could pop the lid off the blender, so be extra careful.
- Stir in the remaining cooked broccoli and cheddar cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted and blended. Season with fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Serve warm.
- Optional: Before serving, top each bowl with some crumbled bacon pieces or croutons.
- Serves 6 to 8
This is what I’m craving right now! Warm, hearty and on the healthier side. Thanks and hope you all have a wonderful Happy New Year!
Thank you Tricia and the same to you!
Mmm, this is perfect for these chilly winter days! So comforting, Liz and Anna!
Thank you Roz, we hope to post a few more this month.. Have a great weekend!
I made a broccoli, cheese and potato soup the other night and immediately regretted not making a bigger pot. I love to freeze soups – so thank you for this big recipe of deliciousness!
You're welcome Tricia! Thank you for your sweet words!
What a delicious soup, both visually and because of the ingredients. It's so well presented too in your photos! I'm getting the ingredients for the weekend. Thank you for this new recipe!
Oh thank you Sandra! We hope you will enjoy this one as much as we do!
I love a good hearty soup like this!
Delicious-looking soup and I really like that there is no added cream! I know a certain husband who would love this.
HI Sue! My family loved this soup so much, I made it again later in the week. Thanks for the lovely comment!