Potato, Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is creamy, luscious and cheesy with chunks of broccoli, and oh SO yummy! It’s loaded with potatoes, celery, onions, chicken broth, fresh chopped broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese. Potato, Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is one hearty soup that’s filling, easy and cheap to make on the weekends, and perfect to serve family and friends when watching the games.
I made a large batch this past weekend and put some into the freezer for a quick dinner during the week.
I LOVE this soup! It’s so delicious, very satisfying and big on flavor! Oh and did I mention- there is NO cream added whatsoever and it’s gluten-free too. Of course!
This recipe for Potato Broccoli and Cheddar Soup makes enough to feed a large crowd.
I made this soup in a large pot on stove-top, but I am sure it’s easy enough to make it in your crock pot, or slow cooker as well.
Just simmer cubed potatoes, onions and celery with vegetable or chicken broth and water. Then add in some steamed chunks of broccoli, and puree it with an immersion hand-held blender, to get a luscious velvety texture. And, puree it right in the pot for easy clean up is even better!
Next, after it’s pureed, add in some extra chunks of broccoli to give the soup some texture. Then stir in the cheddar cheese. As the cheese melts into the soup it will enhance the cheese flavor. Making every spoonful SO GOOD!
Everyone gave it a thumbs up! Not bad, coming from my family.
If you want to jazz up this Potato Broccoli and Cheddar Soup a tab more, just microwave some strips of bacon, crumble them and toss some on top each bowl along with a sprinkle of shredded cheese. YUM!
Winter and cold weather is the time for comforting soups like this one. Hope you’ll give it a try!
Have a good weekend!
Here’s a tip: This recipe for Potato Broccoli and Cheddar Soup makes enough soup for you to freeze half the batch for another evening, especially when you’re short for time. Wait for soup to cool completely before storing it into a plastic container, then freeze. Soup freezes well up to one month. Allow to defrost completely before reheating.
Also, if you get a chance to make this Potato, Broccoli and Cheddar Soup, snap a photo and hashtag it #2sistersrecipes.
We’d love to see what you cook! 🙂
Don’t forget to Pin! … and SHARE! thanks again!
Potato, Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Soup / Starter
Serves: 6 to 8
Potato, Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is creamy, luscious and cheesy with chunks of broccoli, and oh SO yummy! It's loaded with potatoes, celery, onions, chicken broth, fresh chopped broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese. This is one hearty soup that's filling, easy and cheap to make anytime and perfect to serve family and friends when watching the games.
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks- chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion- chopped
- 5 pound bag yellow potatoes- peeled, cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth or low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 small broccoli heads (3 to 4 cups) - divided
- 1+ ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, extra for garnish
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- optional: cooked bacon, crumbled or croutons for garnish
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add celery and onions, and sauté until they are soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, water and salt. Cover with a lid.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then lower heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn off heat.
In the meantime:
- Clean the outer skins of the broccoli and chop into tiny, bite-size pieces. In a medium pot, bring 1-inch of water to a boil, then add broccoli and cover.
- Simmer on low boil for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat and allow the broccoli to steam for another 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. The color of the broccoli should be bright green and tender.
- Add only HALF the cooked broccoli to the potatoes.
- Reserve and set aside the other half. Using an immersion hand-held blender, begin to slowly pulse up and down directly inside the large pot of soup to puree the potato and broccoli. Puree until well blended. If you don't have one, then blend in your blender but only in small batches and only use the lowest speed. The heat of the soup could pop the lid off the blender, so be extra careful.
- Stir in the remaining cooked broccoli and cheddar cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted and blended. Season with fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Serve warm.
- Optional: Before serving, top each bowl with some crumbled bacon pieces or croutons.
- Serves 6 to 8