Salad anyone? Try our simple version for Arugula Beet and Goat Cheese Salad. Loaded with fresh greens, sweet and tender beets, and creamy goat cheese, this salad is totally delicious, festive, and colorful for the holidays! Its sweet cider dressing offers tangy, juicy, and savory flavors all at the same time. It’s a hit every time we serve it, and it’s no wonder why everyone always comes back for more!
We make salads all the time, but healthy salads like this one we enjoy making over and over again – all year long. Plus, it’s not limited to just the holidays.
Fresh arugula, tender juicy beets, and creamy goat cheese tossed with a sweet cider vinaigrette make this salad fabulous tasting! …and even addicting.
Best of all, its sweet vinaigrette is made with only 3 ingredients.
I never liked beets in the past, until I discovered a way to cook them that changed me forever!
In the past, I have made hundreds of variations to an arugula beet salad, but I always go back to this simple recipe. Simply because I love how this salad only requires a few fresh ingredients, and the flavors are dynamic and always consistent.
The Best Way To Cook Beets…
The secret to making beets taste so good – is to boil them!
Boiling them on the stovetop, or in your slow cooker rather than roasting or baking is the key!
It makes a huge difference in taste, texture, and flavor. The beets become soft and sweet.
Boiling them not only makes them tender but also will remove most of the gritty, grimy taste everyone seems to complain about.
Once you make these beets this way, I bet you will convert some of your family members; even those who don’t like beets will learn to love them (at least we hope). 🙂
How to Cook Beets on STOVE-TOP…
Place the beets in a medium-size saucepan and add enough water to cover the beets. Depending on their size, boil the beets, covered, for at least 20 to 25 minutes. Then turn off the heat and allow the beets to remain in the pot (covered and on the stove) for another 15 to 20 minutes. They will continue to cook while sitting in hot water.
Beets will be done when a fork or knife can slide through them. Then drain, and peel off skins.
Beets come in all sizes and shapes. Therefore, you will need to adjust the time for boiling. So check on them every so often when boiling the beets.
How to Cook Beets in a SLOW COOKER…
Rinse any debris from the beets and cut off any greens and discard them.
Do not Peel them before cooking them. Peel off their skins AFTER they are fully cooked.
Place the beets into a large slow cooker. Add 2 cups of water and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
How To Assemble the Salad…
1. First, scatter a layer of fresh arugula in a serving platter. Use your best judgment, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
2. Make the vinaigrette in a small bowl.
3. Scatter over the arugula with chopped beets on top. If you have extra chopped best, you can reserve them for additional servings or for the next day. You can easily whip this salad up again, within 3 days.
4. Then scatter with chunks of goat cheese (you won’t need the entire package). Here is where you can prepare (make ahead), cover, and chill the salad. Then just before you serve, drizzle with the vinaigrette over the salad.
5. Drizzle with the vinaigrette over the entire platter and serve. If you wish you can toss the arugula and beets with the vinaigrette then scatter the goat cheese on top. It doesn’t matter.
6. Best served chilled.
Great Tips for Success…
You can cook and chop the beets up to two days ahead. Then assemble the salad the day you serve it.
This salad is not only easy and but also very adaptable. You can add more of fewer beets to the salad. Plus, you can add in additional ingredients, like walnuts or cranberries, and even increase or decrease its size as needed.
Boiling the beets creates a sweeter flavor in taste. Also, as always, they will absorb the apple cider vinegar better making them delicious tasting. Plus, they become perfectly tender to the bite.
Boil them on the stove-top (covered) for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave them alone for an additional 20 minutes or so, until you can easily slide a knife through them. They will continue to cook to perfect tenderness. Then drain.
Nutritional Facts about Beets…
Beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Also, they’re high in antioxidants and can help fight against cancer and other chronic diseases. Besides, their juice is rich in nitrates and has been found to lower blood pressure and increase blood flow to the brain. These are just a few reasons to add beets to your diet. For more nutritional facts, click here.
More Delicious Recipes for Beets!
Additional Healthy Salads…
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 package (4-ounces) goat cheese
- 1 package (5-ounces) of fresh pre-washed arugula
- one bunch of fresh beets (3 or 4 beets)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- Cut off any greens of beets, rinse any debris and discard them.
- On STOVE-TOP: Transfer your beets to a medium-size saucepan. Fill it with water, leveled with the beets. Cover with a lid.
- Boil the beets on medium-low heat for about 25 to 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave them alone for an additional 20 minutes or more, or until a fork or knife can easily slide through them.
- Drain and allow them to cool. Peel or lightly scrape the skins under running cold water, this will help the skins to fall off easily. Then chop and transfer to a bowl. Cover with clear wrap and chill.
- With SLOW COOKER: Place the beets into a large slow cooker. Add 2 cups of water ( or more to cover the beets) and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours, until they are tender. Remove, peel, chop, and chill.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Then season with Kosher salt to taste.
- NEXT, grab a serving platter and scatter fresh arugula in a single layer. Scatter on top with chopped beets Then scatter chunks of goat cheese on top ( about half the package, 2-ounces).
- Finally, drizzle over the entire platter with the apple cider vinaigrette and serve.
- Best served chilled.
…Thanks for Pinning!
Hello friends! If you make our easy arugula beet and goat cheese salad, please tell us and leave a comment and a star rating below! Or have fun and snap a photo and share it on Instagram and on Pinterest; be sure to hashtag or tag us @2sistersrecipes.
We’d love to see what you make!
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Subscribe to our “2 Sisters Recipes Weekly Newsletter” and get our recipes FREE! Plus, any new updates and reminders of some great older ones too!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz