Beet Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette over Ricotta is a terrific combination of creamy and crunchy textures, along with sweet and sour flavors all-in-one delicious dish. Boiled beets are chopped and tossed with a pomegranate vinaigrette and served over a bed of creamy ricotta. Then it is topped with crushed pistachios and broccoli sprouts which makes this salad totally amazing!
Perfect to serve as an appetizer or even as a side dish to any main course, this is one beet salad you will enjoy all year long!
In fact, if you serve it as an appetizer, our London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection, or our Parmesan Crusted Turkey Cutlets would be great with this beet salad.
Beets are not everyone’s thing. But when you boil or roast and season them correctly, you get a sweet, delicious flavor from them.
They’re even better when you marinate them with a sweet and sour vinaigrette made easily with a pomegranate flavored vinegar, some salt, and extra virgin olive oil.
The combination of different textures in every bite will definitely satisfy everyone’s palate.
This beet salad is a popular dish served at a restaurant on Sullivan’s Island called Obstinate Daughter, and it happens to be our favorite.
It was a dish developed for their autumn menu, but beets are becoming an “all seasons” vegetable. Plus, the pomegranate flavored vinegar is available all year long too.
I love ordering this dish every time we dine there. So, I decided to try duplicating this beet salad at home.
Ingredients Needed for Beet Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette…
What you’ll need for Beets Salad with Pomegranate over Creamy Ricotta:
pomegranate balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
extra virgin olive oil
ricotta cheese ( I used Galbani)
crushed pistachio nuts
a package of fresh broccoli sprouts
How To Make This Beet Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette over Creamy Ricotta…
1. First, boil the beets until they are tender, chop and toss them with a simple pomegranate dressing, then allow them to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or more.
2. Then take a cup of ricotta cheese and whisked it with a little extra virgin olive oil and some buttermilk. Taste and season with sea salt to taste. Next, spoon it onto a small plate and smear it, shaping it into a small-looking pie.
3. Seasoned it with a little fresh cracked black pepper on top.
4. Next, I spooned the beet salad over the ricotta cream and topped it with some crushed pistachio nuts to ensure every bite has a nutty edge, then garnished with a sprinkle of broccoli sprouts (for some healthy greens and color).
What I love about this beet salad…
I made this beet salad early in the morning and served it for lunch.
You can easily serve this as a “new appetizer” too. Great idea for a dinner party.
Make ahead and prepare the beets salad one day before. Then serve it over the creamy ricotta just minutes before serving.
And, as a garnish, or for additional color, don’t forget to pick up a package of broccoli sprouts at the market.
What are Broccoli Sprouts?
Broccoli sprouts are the first green shoots to emerge once a broccoli seed has germinated. They are known to be one of the “superfoods” and can be added to a variety of dishes.
Very healthy and are best described as nature’s best source of Sulforaphane which supports our body’s long-lasting antioxidant and essential cellular function.
You can buy the seeds on Amazon and grow them yourself ( in about 3 days) and in your own home, or buy them fresh at your local grocery store.
Seriously, I think we should be eating more broccoli sprouts. Don’t you think?
Beet Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette over Ricotta turned out delicious!
This dish is not only loaded with flavors but it is very filling at the same time. There’s plenty on this small plate, and enough to share among 2 or even 3 people.
Its pretty and colorful presentation will make everyone drool over this salad, especially if they are fond of beets. A delicious dish, worth trying.
…Thanks for Pinning!
Looking for more recipes for beets? …try these:
- 1 pound (small or medium size) fresh beets
- 2 Tbsp. pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese ( I used Galbani)
- 1 Tbsp. buttermilk
- sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- crushed pistachio nuts
- a package of fresh broccoli sprouts
- Cut off stems and discard them. Place the beets in a medium pot filled with water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer the beets for about 25 to 30 minutes or until tender (when a knife can easily slide through them you know they're ready). Drain and allow them to cool under running cold water for about a minute or so.
- Peel and cut beets into small (about 1-inch) chunks. Transfer into a mixing bowl. Drizzle on top with extra virgin olive oil and pomegranate balsamic vinegar. Season with a little sea salt and pepper to taste. Toss until well combined. Taste the beets, and here is where you can make an adjustment to flavor, adding more pomegranate vinegar if you prefer. Allow the beets to marinate and place them into the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, blend 1 teaspoon of olive oil and buttermilk with ricotta cheese until the ricotta is creamy and smooth. Taste, and season with a pinch of salt, to taste. ( I prefer to garnish with salt before serving)
- Spoon the ricotta mixture on a small plate and create a pie effect, pressing outward with the back of a spoon into a rim shape. Top with fresh cracked black pepper.
- Spoon some of the beet salad on top of the ricotta cream. ( you will have plenty of beet salad leftover), and top with some crushed pistachio nuts. Garnish ricotta cream with broccoli sprouts and a pinch of sea salt on top and serve.
- Serves 2 to 4
Cooks Notes: You can make this beet salad ahead of time. If you are making this for one serving, you will definitely have plenty of beet salad leftover to serve on another day. No worries, beet salads stay fresh up to one week.
Serving Size:1 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 8.6gCarbohydrates: 14.7gFiber: 2.3gProtein: 9.1g