Mom’s Chicken Soup with Quinoa
Mom’s Chicken Soup with Quinoa is homemade chicken soup made with an entire chicken, fresh chopped vegetables, seasonings and quinoa (instead of noodles) to give it a healthy twist! This happens to be our mother’s Italian version of her traditional chicken soup, with a minor change.
It’s perfect for a light dinner during weeknights. Great for reheating for lunch, and it’s very tasty, low in calories and low in fat with a lot of protein.
What makes this a low calorie and low fat chicken soup?
The secret is the removal of all the skin and fat from the chicken. Then, replacing the pastina or noodles with a high protein grain like quinoa, gives it a full body flavor while adding more protein into the soup, leaving you fuller longer.
Using quinoa makes this a great gluten-free dish!
Mom’s chicken soup is then simmered for at least 2 hours making the chicken practically melt into pieces and in your mouth. Then the quinoa is added and cooked for the last 10 minutes.
Mmm… and it’s so yummy!
This is a simple recipe for stove top, slow cooker and even your instant pot. And it makes enough to feed a crowd!
You can pair this soup with a tossed salad and a side dish of steamed vegetables. It’s so good for you and delicious, without all the fat and calories and it’s Gluten-Free!
Your family will ask for seconds!
Please PIN it to your Dinner Board!!
MORE SOUP RECIPES!
Quick and Easy Soup with Broccoli
Yield: 6 to 8
Mom's Chicken Soup with Quinoa
Mom's Chicken Soup with Quinoa ~ is homemade chicken soup made with an entire chicken, fresh chopped vegetables, seasonings and quinoa (instead of noodles) to give it a healthy twist! Perfect for the Instant pot, slow cooker or stove top!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
- One whole chicken
- 12 to 15 cups water
- 2 whole carrots - cut into large chunks
- 2 celery stalks - cut into large chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 large white onion- cut in half
- 1 fresh tomato- cut in half
- 1 cube of beef bouillon
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 cup of Quinoa (pre-washed, no rinsing brand )
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large bowl, remove all the skin and fat from the chicken and rinse thoroughly. Cut the chicken into large chunks, leaving the bones within. Fill a large pot (about 8-quart pot) with water, about 12 cups of water. Add all ingredients. Fill with more water if you can. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer for two hours. Then set aside to cool.
- With a slotted spoon, fish out and remove most of the vegetables and bay leaves, leaving only carrots and celery. Also, remove all the bones from chicken and discard the bones.
- Turn the heat on low. Bring to a low boil and add the quinoa and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste the broth and season with more salt if desired. No pepper. Serve and add some Parmesan cheese into each bowl or at the table.
- Chicken soup stays fresh up to 3 days refrigerated.
- Serves 6 to 8
I love chicken soup. I think using quinoa instead of noodles is a great and healthy idea.
Thank you Dawn!! And welcome to our site, its so nice to meet you! We use quinoa a lot lately and especially in soups! Glad you like this one. Have a great day!
Oh yes! a perfect chicken soup! SO delicious and perfectly healthy!
What a healthy and delicious way to make chicken soup! I loved quinoa the first time I tasted it but never thought of using it in soup. Love it!
Same with me Sue, it was my sister Liz's idea to use quinoa in soups and I love it ever since!
I've always known your mom is one smart lady. This looks perfect in every way. Love it!
Tricia you are so sweet! thanks again!
I have never eaten Quinoa – it scares me!
Lol… It scared me at first too, but after being introduced, we fell in love with this grain, not only is it so healthy for you but it's a snap to cook with and we love incorporating quinoa into so many recipes these days…. Oh please you have to try it just once, and then you will be hooked, like us! lol…..xxoo
Light and lovely. Nothing better than a moms recipe.
I can't imagine that it gets any better than this. I'm with Abbe, that nothing can ever beat Mom' chicken soup. Thanks for sharing this rendition, I love it!
Thanks Dan! We need a lot of soup this week, it has been brutally cold all week long. And, everyone is coming down with a cold these past few days. Hope you are staying warm by a cozy fire! 🙂
So hearty!! This is definitely chicken soup for the soul!
There is nothing, I repeat-nothing, like Mom's chicken soup. At least that's what my kids tell me! This looks great!
Thank you Abbe, we say the very same thing. Hope you are staying warm, these few days have been brutally cold Enjoy!