Cauliflower Kale Soup with Crunchy Kale topping is an easy, sensational, seasonal soup to make without any hassle. Loaded with cauliflower, kale, onions, celery, garlic, and vegetable stock, this soup gets its start by pureeing the ingredients into a creamy texture.
The result is a flavor that is lusciously delicious with every spoonful. Topped with some crispy kale chips adds a satisfying crunch. It’s so tasty, this soup surprisingly proved to be a winner, even to my most reluctant eaters.
Today it’s really cold outside. And it’s always a good time to break out the Dutch oven or a large pot and get cooking! Our family loves to come home from work and find a pot of soup on the stove.
Vegetable soups are good for everyone, especially the ones filled with nutrients to help boost the immune system. That fact alone makes this recipe a perfect dish to serve your family this time of year.
I must confess that when I came across this recipe in a magazine, I was a little skeptical at first to try it, but my instincts told me to go ahead and experiment.
How to Make this Cauliflower Kale Soup with Crunchy Kale:
Steps 1 & 2: Simply roast the cauliflower for about 20 minutes. While that’s roasting in the oven, get started on making the soup. Simply sauté the onions, garlic, and celery together with some olive oil.
Steps 3 & 4: Then add in the broth, along with the roasted cauliflower, and fresh baby kale. Simmer the soup on low heat for a few minutes, then in small batches, transfer to a blender to puree.
Relatively easy, very creamy, and delicious tasting!
The first time I made this cauliflower kale soup with crunchy kale topping was last week when I was visiting my daughter and 3 grandchildren in New York.
My sister Liz was visiting as well, and when I told her what I was attempting to make, from the sound of the ingredients, she thought it wouldn’t be good.
But the result took her by surprise; and actually, took us all by surprise! So much so, that we all had 2 bowls of this delicious soup.
The bonus topping of crunchy kale chips is what made this soup even more sensational.
HOW TO MAKE CRUNCHY KALE TOPPING?
Just toss the kale loosely on a pan with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and bake until they become crunchy. Then sprinkle a few kale chips on top of each soup before serving.
And I have to give you some warning!
These kale chips turned out so good, I had to make a second batch immediately because my daughter and I couldn’t stop eating the first batch as soon as they came out of the oven. Haha!
They are THAT good! And, they turn out very light and practically melt in your mouth.
Kale chips will make the perfect snack too!
Cauliflower Kale Soup with crunchy kale is low in calories, low in fat, dairy-free, and vegan!
What could be better than a bowl of soup on a cold winter night?!
A Few Notes and Tips about Cooking Cauliflower:
Every time I mention cooking cauliflower, the most asked question arises; is there a way to prepare cauliflower to prevent that terrible smell? The answer is Yes!
There are better options for cooking cauliflower.
First, don’t steam or boil it. Rather, roasting or sauteing cauliflower is the best way to go to prevent that stinky stench.
Also, when you add olive oil and fresh garlic to the cauliflower and even some herbs, results in a pleasant aroma, making your house smell wonderful.
*Full recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make this Cauliflower Kale Soup with Crunchy Kale Topping:
First, Roasting the Cauliflower:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a large baking sheet, spread cauliflower and drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper over them.
2. Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring or shaking the pan occasionally, until tender.
Next, Make Kale Chips:
1. Reduce the heat to 300 degrees. On a large baking sheet, scatter half the kale onto a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and lightly drizzle with extra virgin olive oil over the kale.
2. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes until crispy, tossing the kale at least once. Set aside.
Then Make the Soup:
1. In a Dutch oven or a large soup pot, over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and celery and sauté for about 8 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the cauliflower and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining kale, simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Puree soup in a blender in batches, or use an immersion hand-held blender. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with crispy kale chips; add a much as you like. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
… Thanks for Pinning!
Finally, more tasty recipes to enjoy Cauliflower:
- Potato-Cauliflower Soup
- Pasta with Creamy Cauliflower
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Baked Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- Baked Cauliflower Wings
- Cauliflower Gratin Casserole
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil - divided
- 5-ounce package of baby kale, divided
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 3 to 4 stalks of celery- sliced
- 3 garlic cloves - chopped
- 6 to 7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- optional- grated parmigiana cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (230C).
- On a large baking sheet, spread cauliflower and drizzle with olive oil ( about 1 tablespoon) and sprinkle with salt and pepper over them. Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring or shaking the pan occasionally, until tender.
Make Kale Chips:
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees F (148C). On a large baking sheet, scatter half the kale onto a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and lightly drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (1 tablespoon) over the kale.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes until crispy, tossing the kale at least once. Set aside.
Make the Soup:
- In a Dutch oven or a large soup pot, over medium heat, warm 2 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, and celery and sauté for about 8 minutes, until softened.
- Add the cauliflower and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining kale, simmer for another 10 minutes. Puree soup in a blender in batches, or use an immersion hand-held blender.
- Ladle into bowls. Top with crispy kale chips; add a much as you like.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese at the table.
- Serves 6 to 8
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you make this delicious cauliflower kale soup with crunchy kale, we’d love to know how it turned out! Please leave a review and a star rating below. Sharing your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps us too!
Have fun and snap a photo and share it on Instagram and on Pinterest; be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes or #2sistersrecipes.
And stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter for all the latest updates.
Also, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Subscribe to 2 Sisters Recipes Weekly Newsletter and get all new posts, and reminders of some great older ones too! Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!