This Best Vegetable Lasagna is filled with 3 luscious layers of fresh vegetables smothered with some cream, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese, and it’s exquisitely delicious! Plus, we use no-boil noodles to make this vegetable-filled lasagna even easier.
Our vegetable lasagna is packed with amazing flavors and textures.
For this recipe, we make our own tomato sauce from scratch, and prefer a fresh marinara sauce to give this lasagna its yummy fresh taste!
Plus, when you make it with no-boil lasagna noodles and have prepared marinara sauce on hand, this vegetable lasagna comes together in no time.
Loaded with fresh vegetables, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and fresh spinach, as vegetable lasagna, this one is very satisfying and filling.
While it’s loaded with nutrient-dense veggies, cheese, and some cream, you’ll be surprised it has a very light texture to it, creating by far the best-tasting vegetarian lasagna we ever had!
If you’re looking for the best vegetable lasagna… then this is it!
COOK’S NOTES and TIPS for Best Vegetable Lasagna:
This recipe is a 2 step process. The first step is to cook the vegetables, causing them to fully caramelize for more flavor, and the other step is to assemble the lasagna together. You can prepare this lasagna one day before and refrigerate until you are ready to pop it into the oven.
Keep in mind, you will need a lot of prepared marinara sauce on hand. We always make a double batch of our Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce and keep it in the fridge. You will need about 4 cups or more.
It’s best to rinse the fresh spinach, but do not spin the water out, since it needs the extra moisture while baking.
If you buy pre-washed and already chopped vegetables at the market, it will help save a lot of time in the prep work. Plus, using the no-boil noodles also helps cut the time in half.
You can adapt this recipe, and add some of your favorite vegetables with this lasagna. And make it more cheesy by adding in an extra layer of shredded cheese in between the layers with the vegetables.
Also, I prefer to bake the lasagna without the final layer of cheese on top. Then add the cheese on top for the remaining and final 5 minutes of baking time. This way the foil wrap does not pull off some of the melted cheese when you remove it, ruining the top layer of melted cheese.
This lasagna will feed a large family. And it reheats beautifully.
Best Vegetable Lasagna makes an easy and fabulous meal for the whole family to enjoy!
I made this the other night. This is such a delicious dish. Getting your family to eat more healthy greens like spinach is not always easy, but you can most certainly hide them in this lasagna. It always works for us.
This lasagna makes a perfect meal for your family, it’s our go-to meal for busy weekends and weeknights.
You may enjoy another recipe for lasagna, try our mom’s Easy Meat Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles, it too is a fabulous meal. We hope you will enjoy both lasagnas as much as we do!
Enjoy and have a great day!
*Follow along with our Step-by-Step directions, or jump down to the bottom for our full recipe card.
How to Make the Best Vegetable Lasagna:
1. First, saute the vegetables. In a non-stick skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté zucchini with onions over medium heat for a few minutes, or until zucchini is softened and tender to the bite, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove zucchini and place it into a bowl. Set aside.
2. In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and garlic, and saute on medium heat, for about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté mushrooms for 2 to 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened and juicy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
QUICK NOTE: If you can’t find Giovanni Lasagna sheets, you can use 2 boxes
of Barilla No-Boil lasagna sheets instead. Just follow directions below for baking time.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
4. Using a large casserole baking dish, about 12″ x 8″ x 2-1/2″. Spread a layer of tomato sauce, about 1 cup, or more on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the 1st layer of lasagna sheets over the sauce, layering them side by side.
5. Spoon the mushrooms on top including its juices, and spread it evenly. Then cover with more marinara sauce, about 3/4 cup or more if needed.
6. Place the 2nd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the mushrooms.
7. Spread another cup of tomato sauce on top of that. Then spoon the zucchini and onions mixture on top of the sauce. Spread it evenly.
8. Add the 3rd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the zucchini. And place a handful of rinsed baby spinach on top.
9. Next, pour and drizzle the half-and-half cream directly over the spinach.
10. Finally, cover the spinach with the 4th layer of lasagna sheets. Cover with a layer of tomato sauce on top. (Here is where you can cover with foil wrap and bake the lasagna before topping with the final layer of cheeses.)
11. Cover with foil wrap.
Directions for Baking Times:
Cook’s NOTE: If you are using the Giovanni already cooked lasagna noodles. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Then uncover, top with grated Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella, then continue to bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted.
If using Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagna sheets, you will need more baking time. BAKE, Covered for 25 to 35 minutes, then remove the foil, and top with both kinds of cheeses and BAKE for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is completely melted on top.
12. Remove from oven, set it aside for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Then cut into squares, and serve.
Serves 6 to 8
For More Tasty Vegetarian Dishes, try these!
- 2 Packages (pre-boiled) Lasagna Sheets, 6 per package, (Giovanni Brand, find these in the refrigerated section of supermarkets) or 2 boxes of Barilla No-Boil Lasagna.
- 3 medium-size zucchini - sliced into 1/2 -inch thick
- 2 medium onions -chopped
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 12 to 16-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves - sliced
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach - rinsed
- 4 to 6 cups marinara tomato sauce
- 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Half-and-Half or heavy cream
- 2/3 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a non-stick skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté zucchini with onions over medium heat for a few minutes, or until zucchini is softened. About 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove zucchini and place it into a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and garlic. Over medium heat, sauté garlic for about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté mushrooms for 2 to 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
- Using a large casserole, 12" x 8" x 2-1/2" baking dish.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE LASAGNA: Spread a layer of tomato sauce, about 1 cup, or more on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the 1st layer of no-boil lasagna sheets over the sauce, layering them side by side. If you need to break one or two to make them fit, that's Ok.
- Next, spoon the mushrooms mixture including all the juices on top, and spread it into an even layer. Then spoon marinara sauce over the mushrooms, about 3/4 cup.
- Place the 2nd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the mushrooms. Then spread some tomato sauce on top of that.
- Add the zucchini and onions mixture on top of the sauce. Spread it evenly.
- Add the 3rd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the zucchini. Place a handful of rinsed baby spinach on top.
- Next, pour the half-and-half directly over the spinach.
- Finally, cover the spinach with the last layer of lasagna sheets. Gently press down. Top with a layer of marinara sauce.
- Cover with foil wrap.
- If using the Giovanni already cooked lasagna noodles. BAKE for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove foil cover and top with grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese. Return it to the oven, uncovered, and BAKE for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- If using Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagna sheets, BAKE covered for 25 to 35 minutes, then uncover and top with grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese. and Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted on top.
- Remove from oven, set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Cut into squares, and serve.
- Serves 6 to 8
NOTE: If you can't find Giovanni Lasagna sheets, then use 2 boxes
of Barilla No-Boil lasagna sheets instead. Just follow directions on the
package for the amount of time needed for baking, about 30 to 40 minutes.
This recipe was first posted in 2011, some of the photos and content have been updated.
In case you missed it…
MOST POPULAR POSTS THIS WEEK: