Best Vegetable Lasagna is filled with 3 luscious layers of fresh vegetables smothered with some cream, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese, and it’s exquisitely delicious! Plus, we use no-boil noodles to make this vegetable-filled lasagna even easier.
A Vegetable Lasagna…
- This vegetable lasagna is packed with amazing flavors and textures.
- Loaded with fresh vegetables, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and fresh spinach, as vegetable lasagna.
- It has a very light texture to it.
- This one is very satisfying and filling.
For this recipe, we prefer a fresh marinara sauce to give this lasagna its delightful fresh taste!
Plus, if you have “no-boil” lasagna noodles and have prepared marinara sauce on hand, this vegetable lasagna comes together in no time.
It is by far the best-tasting vegetarian lasagna we ever had!
COOK’S NOTES and TIPS for this Lasagna:
- This recipe is a 2 step process. The first step is to cook the vegetables, causing them to caramelize for more flavor.
- The other step is to assemble the lasagna.
- Remember, you will need a lot of marinara sauce on hand. We always make a double batch of our Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce on hand. You will need about 4 cups or more.
- It’s best to rinse the fresh spinach, but do not spin the water out, since it needs the extra moisture while baking.
- To save time in prep work. Buy already chopped vegetables at the market, it will help save a lot of time in the prep work.
- Also, using the no-boil noodles also helps cut the time in half.
- This lasagna will feed a large family.
- And it reheats beautifully.
Make it your own…
- You can adapt this recipe, and add some of your favorite vegetables with this lasagna.
- Make it more cheesy by adding an extra layer of shredded cheese in between the layers with the vegetables.
*Follow along with our Step-by-Step directions, or jump down to the bottom for our full recipe card.
How to Make the Best Vegetable Lasagna?
1. First, saute the vegetables. In a non-stick skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté zucchini with onions over medium heat for a few minutes, or until zucchini is softened and tender to the bite, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the zucchini and place it into a bowl. Set aside.
2. In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and garlic, and saute on medium heat, for about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté mushrooms for 2 to 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened and juicy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
QUICK NOTE: If you can’t find Giovanni Lasagna sheets, use 2 boxes
of Barilla No-Boil lasagna sheets instead. Just follow the directions below for baking time.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
4. Using a large casserole baking dish, about 12″ x 8″ x 2-1/2″. Spread a layer of tomato sauce, about 1 cup, or more on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the 1st layer of lasagna sheets over the sauce, layering them side by side.
5. Spoon the mushrooms on top including their juices, and spread it evenly. Then cover with more marinara sauce, about 3/4 cup or more if needed.
6. Place the 2nd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the mushrooms.
7. Spread another cup of tomato sauce on top of that. Then spoon the zucchini and onions mixture on top of the sauce. Spread it evenly.
8. Add the 3rd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the zucchini. And place a handful of rinsed baby spinach on top.
9. Next, pour and drizzle the half-and-half cream directly over the spinach.
10. Finally, cover the spinach with the 4th layer of lasagna sheets. Cover with a layer of tomato sauce on top. (Here is where you can cover it with foil wrap and bake the lasagna before topping it with the final layer of cheese.)
11. Cover with foil wrap.
Directions for Baking Times:
Cook’s NOTE: If you are using the Giovanni already cooked lasagna noodles. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Then uncover, top with grated Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella, then continue to bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted.
If using Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagna sheets, you will need more baking time. BAKE, Covered for 25 to 35 minutes, then remove the foil, and top with both kinds of cheeses and BAKE for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is completely melted on top.
12. Remove from oven, set it aside for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Then cut into squares, and serve.
Serves 6 to 8
Best Vegetable Lasagna makes an easy and fabulous meal for the whole family to enjoy!
This is such a delicious dish. Getting your family to eat more healthy greens like spinach is not always easy, but you can most certainly hide them in this lasagna.
It always works for us.
This lasagna makes a perfect meal for your family, it’s our go-to meal for busy weekends and weeknights.
You may enjoy another recipe for lasagna, try our mom’s Easy Meat Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles, it is another delicious meal.
We hope you will enjoy both lasagnas as much as we do!
Enjoy and have a great day!
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating:
TO STORE: If baked, allow the lasagna to cool completely, cover tightly and refrigerate. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
TO FREEZE: You can freeze the lasagna before baking. Cover tightly and freeze it for up to 2 months.
BAKE and REHEAT: If frozen, allow the lasagna to thaw on the counter the day you plan to bake it, or overnight in the fridge (the night before).
First, remove the tray of lasagna from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before baking. This will ensure it has warmed up to room temperature, and it will bake evenly. Then bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or more until the lasagna is heated through.
Additional Vegetarian Recipes, try these!
- Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna
- Easy Stuffed Shells
- Best Zucchini Lasagna – without Noodles
- Vegetable Bolognese with Pappardelle
- Homemade Lasagna with Vegetables
- Best Eggplant “Manicotti” Casserole
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- 2 Packages (pre-boiled) Lasagna Sheets, 6 per package, (Giovanni Brand, find these in the refrigerated section of supermarkets) or 2 boxes of Barilla No-Boil Lasagna.
- 3 medium-sized zucchini - sliced into 1/2-inch thick
- 2 medium onions -chopped
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 12 to 16-ounce package of sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves - sliced
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach - rinsed
- 4 to 6 cups marinara tomato sauce
- 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Half-and-Half or heavy cream
- 2/3 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a non-stick skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté zucchini with onions over medium heat for a few minutes, or until zucchini is softened. About 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the zucchini and place it into a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and garlic. Over medium heat, sauté garlic for about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté mushrooms for 2 to 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Using a large casserole, 12" x 8" x 2-1/2" baking dish.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE LASAGNA: Spread a layer of tomato sauce, about 1 cup, or more on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the 1st layer of no-boil lasagna sheets over the sauce, layering them side by side. If you need to break one or two to make them fit, that's Ok.
- Next, spoon the mushrooms mixture including all the juices on top, and spread it into an even layer. Then spoon marinara sauce over the mushrooms, about 3/4 cup.
- Place the 2nd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the mushrooms. Then spread some tomato sauce on top of that.
- Add the zucchini and onions mixture on top of the sauce. Spread it evenly.
- Add the 3rd layer of lasagna sheets on top to cover the zucchini. Place a handful of rinsed baby spinach on top.
- Next, pour the half-and-half directly over the spinach.
- Finally, cover the spinach with the last layer of lasagna sheets. Gently press down. Top with a layer of marinara sauce.
- Cover with foil wrap.
- If using the Giovanni already cooked lasagna noodles. BAKE for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove foil cover and top with grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese. Return it to the oven, uncovered, and BAKE for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- If using Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagna sheets, BAKE covered for 25 to 35 minutes, then uncover and top with grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese. and Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted on top.
- Remove from oven, set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Cut into squares, and serve.
- Serves 6 to 8
NOTE: If you can't find Giovanni Lasagna sheets, then use 2 boxes
of Barilla No-Boil lasagna sheets instead. Just follow the directions on the package for the amount of time needed for baking, about 30 to 40 minutes.