Looking for a cozy vegetarian chili? Try our Easy Vegetarian Chili for an easy and hearty weeknight meal. It’s loaded with three kinds of beans, vegetables, fire-roasted tomatoes, and enough spices and chili powder to create a delicious vegetarian chili. This chili is so good, no one will notice the meat is missing!
When it comes to making Chili in our family, there’s competition, especially with the men in our family. Everyone thinks they make the best chili … and they would prefer it with meat, but of course, we are all trying to eat a little healthier.
At least some of us are trying… 😉
This easy vegetarian chili happens to be just that, healthier, and most importantly – positively delicious!
Simmered in a Dutch oven, this chili is easy to make and serve. Its chunky, thick texture is loaded with rich flavors, and with a little shredded cheddar and sour cream on top to add more delicious flavors and textures – you won’t even miss the meat.
It’s perfect to serve with some steamed rice on the side, and maybe with our homemade cheesy mini biscuits, to complete the meal. YUM!
What makes this easy vegetarian chili so good?
- The beans in this vegetarian chili are firm and tender to the bite, not mushy or overcooked.
- Plus, the vegetables are well balanced in this one making this chili very flavorful.
- Besides being very easy to make with minimal prep, this chili only needed 30 minutes to simmer on the stove-top and it was done. 🙂
- No need to cook it for hours and no need for fancy equipment.
- Just a 6-quart Dutch oven pot to make this chili on the stove-top will do!
EASY VEGETARIAN CHILI…
For this recipe, it calls for one whole jalapeno chopped, and it made it very spicy, with a real kick to it.
However, if you’re like me and prefer the milder spicy flavor to it, then omit the jalapeno in this recipe.
The fire-roasted tomatoes which already have green chilies in them will suffice and will make a delicious chili with enough spiciness without overdoing it.
With only 4 easy steps, our vegetarian chili can be ready in no time!
So then… what are you waiting for… let’s make CHILI!!
Four Easy Steps to Make this Chili…(*full recipe card below!)
1. Step 1: In a large dutch oven pot, over medium heat, heat olive oil, and toss in chopped onion, bell red pepper, carrots, and minced garlic. Saute the vegetables until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Step 2: Add in the jalapeno, and stir to fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Step 3: Add in all the beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, and all the seasonings. Cover with a lid.
4. Step 4: Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer the chili for 30 to 35 minutes. Turn off the heat. Taste the chili, and adjust the seasonings with salt. Then serve.
Cook’s Notes and Tips:
If you prefer a very spicy vegetarian chili, then make it with all the ingredients listed below in our recipe card.
Or, if you prefer a more mild spiciness, OMIT the one jalapeno, especially if you plan to use fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies in them.
Always WASH your hands after handling a spicy pepper because it could cause a great deal of harm to your eyes if you touch them.
Also, if you use the jalapeno pepper and you don’t want it crazy spicy, then remove the seeds and the white membrane from the jalapeno pepper and discard. This will help it make it less spicy.
What if you can’t find any fire-roasted tomatoes? Then use crushed tomatoes instead, but you will need to add in the chopped jalapeno to give it some heat.
How To Tone Down our Easy Vegetarian Chili If it’s Too Spicy:
1. Adding Dairy: Dairy always adds a nice cooling effect if the chili is too spicy. Add a dollop of sour cream or yogurt on top. Also adding some shredded cheddar cheese on top also helps.
2. Adding a Sweetener: Add some honey to the dish. A tablespoon or more will tame spiciness.
3. Adding in Ingredients: Add more ingredients that will help tone down the spiciness. Add in more beans, or finely chop one or two potatoes and toss those in before finish cooking, simmering for 5 minutes, until the potatoes soften.
Your family and friends will LOVE our Easy Vegetarian Chili!
This is such delicious chili, even though it’s vegetarian. Best of all, this recipe feeds about 8 or more servings, and the total cost was less than $12.00 to make.
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving, and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
OH and don’t forget to have some cold beer on hand to go with it!
ENJOY… and have a great day!
… Thanks for PINNING!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion- chopped
- 1 red bell pepper- chopped
- 2 carrots - peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves -minced
- Optional: 1 jalapeno- finely chopped (for more heat)
- 1 (15.5-oz) can Great Northern Beans- drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-oz) can red kidney beans- drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-oz) can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 2 (14-oz) cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes with green chilies (from Trader Joe's)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Optional: 1 Tbsp. honey
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- fresh cilantro- chopped, as a garnish
- In a large dutch oven pot, over medium heat, heat olive oil, and toss in chopped onion, bell red pepper, carrots, and minced garlic. Saute the vegetables until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the jalapeno, and stir to fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in all the beans, the fire-roasted tomatoes, and all the seasonings. Cover with a lid.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer the chili for 30 to 35 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle chili in individual bowls, top with shredded cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro on top and serve!
- Serves 8 to 10
A Few More Delicious and Easy Recipes for Chili… try these!
Sweet Potato Chili ~ flavorful sweet potato chili is made with ground beef or turkey, sweet potatoes, black beans, and fire-roasted tomatoes.
Easy Beef Chili Recipe~is made in one pot and it’s ready to serve in 40 minutes! The vegetables along with the spices give this chili it’s aromatic flavors!
Easy White Bean Chili with Chicken~ is loaded with shredded chicken, white beans, chicken stock, cumin, and enough roasted green chilies in it to give it that ‘wow’ factor from the very first spoonful to the very last drop!