Sweet Potato Chili is an easy, flavorful chili made with ground beef or turkey, sweet potatoes, black beans, and fire-roasted tomatoes. With spices that give enough heat to this delicious sweet potato chili, even I couldn’t stop eating this one. Omit the meat, double the beans and turn this one into a Vegetarian Chili! Perfect for gatherings, game-nights, and potluck!
To give some heat to my Sweet Potato Chili, I found organic fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies already diced in them. They even sell them at Trader Joe’s if you have one nearby.
I also used chili powder and ground cumin as the main seasonings.
Together they were spicy enough for this chili and therefore, I found that I didn’t need to add any salt or pepper.
Plus, I love sweet potatoes in this chili. Their savory flavor and melt-in-your-mouth quality help balance some of the heat and spices with every bite. PERFECT!
FYI: I’m not a huge fan of chili, but I have to tell you, this Sweet Potato Chili turned out so good!
The flavors and creamy textures combined made everyone love this variation and truly enjoyed it for dinner.
Serve with tortilla chips or eat it alone. It’s delicious!
This comforting bowl of sweet potato chili makes a delicious meal. Perfect for an easy, relaxing dinner with a beer!
What if we can’t find fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies included?
No worries! You can add in 1 can (4.5 ounces) of diced green chilies into the recipe, along with 1 or 2 cans of crushed tomatoes.
COOK’s Notes and TIPS for sweet potato chili:
If you have any leftovers you can refrigerate this chili for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
Double up on the beans and omit the meat, and make this a vegetarian version.
Sweet potato chili can be made with ground chicken, veal, pork, or beef.
Nutritional Facts (per serving):
390 calories/ 9g fat( 2g saturated fat)/ 49g carbs/ 31g protein/ 14g fiber
* Our full recipe card below!
Ingredients Needed for Sweet Potato Chili:
1 pound (16 ounces) lean ground beef or turkey
2 sweet potatoes
1 cup chopped green onions (about 6)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves – minced
2 (14 ounces) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup of water
1 (15 ounces) can black beans, rinsed
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
extra green onions chopped for garnish
optional: salt & pepper to taste
1. In a medium nonstick skillet, over medium heat, add the ground meat and lightly season with salt and pepper to tenderize the meat as it cooks. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up big clumps and brown evenly.
2. Meanwhile, peel and cut sweet potatoes into half-inch pieces.
Remove skillet from heat, and set aside.
3. In a 4 or 5-quart saucepot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the green onions and garlic. Sauté for two minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the cooked meat into the pot, using a slotted spoon to drain excess fat.
5. Pour the fire-roasted tomatoes, water, black beans, chili powder, and ground cumin. Cover and reduce the heat to simmer for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Garnish with some chopped green onions on top and serve. Serves 4
More Tasty Recipes for Chili!
Finally… here are some Fantastic Recipes for Sweet Potatoes!
Hello friends! Have you tried this chili recipe? Feel free to leave a comment and a star rating below. We enjoy reading your comments, as it helps our readers and it helps us too!
For more delicious recipes, follow us on Instagram and on Pinterest. And, don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe NEWSLETTER Box’ and get our recipes FREE every time we post!
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz 🙂
This post contains affiliate links.
* 2 Sisters Recipes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Amazon Associates is designed to provide a means for websites to earn commission fees by linking to amazon.com, with no extra cost to you! It helps pay for our web hosting and services for this blog. We truly appreciate and thank you for all your support!