Sweet Potato Chili is an easy, flavorful chili made with ground beef or turkey, sweet potatoes, black beans, and fire-roasted tomatoes. With spices that give enough heat to this delicious sweet potato chili, even I couldn’t stop eating this one. Omit the meat, double the beans and turn this one into a Vegetarian Chili! Perfect for gatherings, game-nights, and potluck!
To give some heat to my Sweet Potato Chili, I found organic fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies already diced in them. They even sell them at Trader Joe’s if you have one nearby.
I also used chili powder and ground cumin as the main seasonings.
Together they were spicy enough for this chili and therefore, I found that I didn’t need to add any salt or pepper.
Plus, I love sweet potatoes in this chili. Their savory flavor and melt-in-your-mouth quality help balance some of the heat and spices with every bite. PERFECT!
FYI: I’m not a huge fan of chili, but I have to tell you, this Sweet Potato Chili turned out so good!
The flavors and creamy textures combined made everyone love this variation and truly enjoyed it for dinner.
Serve with tortilla chips or eat it alone. It’s delicious!
This comforting bowl of sweet potato chili makes a delicious meal. Perfect for an easy, relaxing dinner with a beer!
What if we can’t find fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies included?
No worries! You can add 1 can (4.5 ounces) of diced green chilies into the recipe, along with 1 or 2 cans of crushed tomatoes.
COOK’s Notes and TIPS for sweet potato chili:
If you have any leftovers you can refrigerate this chili for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to one month.
Double up on the beans and omit the meat, and make this a vegetarian version.
Sweet potato chili can be made with ground chicken, veal, pork, or beef.
Nutritional Facts (per serving):
390 calories/ 9g fat( 2g saturated fat)/ 49g carbs/ 31g protein/ 14g fiber
* Our full recipe card below!
Ingredients Needed for Sweet Potato Chili:
1 pound (16 ounces) of lean ground beef or turkey
2 sweet potatoes
1 cup chopped green onions (about 6)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves – minced
2 (14 ounces) cans of diced fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup of water
1 (15 ounces) can of black beans, rinsed
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
extra green onions chopped for garnish
optional: salt & pepper to taste
1. In a medium nonstick skillet, over medium heat, add the ground meat and lightly season with salt and pepper to tenderize the meat as it cooks. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up big clumps and brown them evenly.
2. Meanwhile, peel and cut sweet potatoes into half-inch pieces.
Remove the skillet from heat, and set aside.
3. In a 4 or 5-quart saucepot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the green onions and garlic. Sauté for two minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the cooked meat into the pot, using a slotted spoon to drain excess fat.
5. Pour the fire-roasted tomatoes, water, black beans, chili powder, and ground cumin. Cover and reduce the heat to simmer for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Garnish with some chopped green onions on top and serve. Serves 4
More Tasty Recipes for Chili!
- Easy White Bean Chili with Chicken
- Easy Beef Chili Recipe
- Bowl of Beef and Red Bean Chili
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
Finally… here are some Fantastic Recipes for Sweet Potatoes!
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Muffins
- Sweet Mashed Potatoes with Mascarpone Cheese
- Oven-Fried Sweet Potatoes
- Curried Carrot Sweet Potato Ginger Soup
- Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon
- Cinnamon APPLE Sweet Potato Muffins