This Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe is very light, and moist on the inside with the perfect amount of sweetness. It’s made with simple ingredients including white cornmeal and it’s the perfect side for any festive meal! Quick, easy, and delicious tasting. This is our favorite cornbread recipe.
Hey Friends! Today, I am excited to share with you this tasty and ridiculously easy recipe for cornbread. If you have never made cornbread in your life – then this recipe is for you!
Because I live in the South, there is no limit to the variety of cornbread found in Charleston, but there is one that earns rave reviews over and over from locals and visitors alike.
This popular restaurant is called Slightly North of Broad, aka S.N.O.B. and it happens to be one of our favorite dining spots located here in downtown Charleston.
They make the BEST cornbread in all of Charleston, and I found this recipe in a local cookbook.
This cornbread recipe is moist and fluffy on the inside while it’s flaky on the outside. It has a perfect amount of sweetness which is not normally found in Southern cornbread recipes, making this a delightful cake-like cornbread.
It’s so good, you can’t stop eating it.
This cornbread may be just the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table.
But this cornbread may be a game-changer! I mean, why not add one more side? …right?!
This recipe for cornbread happens to be one of the easiest recipes ever!
For this recipe, you will need one large mixing bowl, an electric hand-held mixer, a spatula, and a 9 x 12-inch baking pan.
It took me 10 minutes to whip up the batter, and only about 40 minutes to bake.
For this easy cornbread recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- eggs – you will need at least 5 eggs for this recipe.
- butter – this is necessary to make cornbread moist.
- sugar – you only need 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- yellow cornmeal or white cornmeal – I used Indian Head Old Fashioned Stone Ground White Corn Meal.
- flour – unbleached all-purpose flour.
- baking powder – necessary to make the bread rise.
- salt – one heaping teaspoon is needed.
- oil – any vegetable or canola oil is fine.
- honey – any honey will suffice.
- milk – I used 1% low-fat milk, but you can use any.
- buttermilk– whole cultured buttermilk is preferred.
How to Make Easy Homemade Cornbread?
Directions…. (*full recipe card below!)
- First, in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and melted butter.
- Then beat in the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Next, pour in the oil, milk, buttermilk, and honey. Beat for 1 minute until the mixture is well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Transfer the batter to your 9 x 12-inch baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until it is golden on top and around the edges, and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut and serve warm.
Questions & Answers…
1. What makes this cornbread moist and delicious tasting?
Some cornbreads will turn out very dry and crumbly due to using too much cornmeal. That’s why it is important that the cornmeal and flour are equally measured in this recipe. Also, the butter is important to giving the cornbread its moist and soft texture, while the outside is firm and crispy.
Best of all, it is the honey along with the buttermilk that gives this bread its delicious flavor. So don’t skip them. 😉
2. Are Cornmeal and Polenta the same thing?
No, not exactly. They are both made from corn, but cornmeal is an ingredient to use for bread, corn muffins, and even pancakes.
Whereas polenta, is a Northern Italian grain, also made from corn and it is similar to grits, but it is simmered into a savory dish and served as part of a meal.
3. What is the difference between Yellow Cornmeal and White Cornmeal?
The difference between yellow cornmeal and white cornmeal is that yellow grains are made from yellow corn and white cornmeal is processed from white corn. Both will give you a yellow coloring but the white cornmeal will give you a light-pale yellow color when baked.
Tips and Notes…
- How to Measure The Flour? It is important when measuring the flour into the cup, you should do it by spooning it and leveling it at the top. This will prevent you from adding too much flour to one cup.
- Do Not Over-Bake. Keep an eye on it while baking. If over-baked, it may turn out dry.
- I used white cornmeal. It’s made from white corn, but when you bake it, it turns a light yellow color.
- Keep in mind, all ovens will vary. When you start to smell the delicious aroma of cornbread, that is an indication that it is ready Check with a toothpick inserted in the center to be certain.
- To Store and Freeze: It’s best to store in a sealed container and freeze. It will stay fresh and frozen for up to 3 weeks.
- To Reheat: Then allow the bread to thaw and reheat in a microwave for about 30 seconds, to bring it back to soft and moist. Or reheat in the oven for a few minutes until it is warm.
- Best when served the day you make it.
Ideas to serve cornbread with…
- well, it’s perfect as a side for the holidays, especially for Thanksgiving!
- serve it with your favorite chili on game nights.
- serve it with your favorite soup, it goes great with our Healthy Autumn Squash Soup. It goes well with our moist, flavorful cornbread.
- or you can toast some up and serve it with your favorite eggs and bacon breakfast.
Options for serving…
These are toppings you can serve with your cornbread, but trust me, it doesn’t need any topping. It’s that good!
- A slab of butter or any compound butter
- spread some jam or fruit preserves
- drizzle with honey on top
- maybe a small drizzle of maple syrup
- You can cut any leftover cornbread into smaller pieces, even cubes, toast them in the oven, and use them as a delicious garnish for other dishes and salads.
- Toss them on top of creamy soups, and your favorite chili and stews.
This recipe for Easy Homemade Cornbread is loaded with flavor! Soft cake-like texture with sweet flavors, everyone will enjoy it after their first bite.
Your family and friends will enjoy this cornbread. It’s different and fun to serve as a side with some of your favorite dishes. Try this recipe!
Also, try our pumpkin cornbread recipe! It too is delightful!
Additional Sides to Serve Cornbread With…
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- Healthy Autumn Squash Soup
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Easy Hash Browns Breakfast
- 10 Healthy Vegetable Soups
- Tomato and Saffron Bisque
- 5 eggs
- 8 Tbsp. (113g) ( 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (201g) granulated sugar
- 2 + 1/2 cups (365g) yellow cornmeal
- 2 + 1/2 cups (300g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 + 3/4 Tbsps. baking powder
- 1 heaping tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup ( 112g) canola oil
- 1 cup (1% low-fat) (230g) milk
- 1 cup (225g) buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180C). Change the rack to make one in the center of the oven. Then butter the bottom and sides of your 9 x 12-inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar together. Gradually add in the butter and continue to beat.
- Next, add the cornmeal and beat for a few seconds. Beat in flour, salt, and baking powder. The dough will be thick and sticky.
- Pour in oil, milk, buttermilk, and honey. Beat on medium speed for an additional minute or two, until the mixture is well incorporated and smooth.
- Pour the batter into your greased 9 x 12-inch pan.
- Bake on the middle rack. Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean and the top is golden.
- Once the bread is fully baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Yields: 24 slices
Keep in mind, all ovens vary. When you start to smell the delicious aroma of cornbread, that is an indication that it is almost ready. Check on the bread, and use a toothpick inserted in the center ( must come out clean) to be certain.
Best when served the day you make it.
Store in a sealed container and freeze for up to 3 weeks. Then allow the bread to thaw and reheat in a microwave for about 30 seconds, to bring it back to soft and moist.
Serving Size:1 serving ( 28.4 g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 9.9gSaturated Fat: 3.2gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 157mgCarbohydrates: 20.6gFiber: .9gSugar: 10.9gProtein: 2.9g
…Thanks for PINNING!