Black Bean and Rice Soup is a simple recipe made with black beans, celery, onions, vegetable stock, and steamed rice. Simple, flavorful, and very filling! Plus, it’s a convenient and inexpensive meal when you need one. Only need a handful of staple ingredients to make this soup into a fabulous meal!
Reasons to LOVE this Black Bean and Rice Soup…
- Black Bean and Rice Soup is a hearty soup and one that offers a rich and thick texture leaving you to think it’s a stew. But don’t be fooled. It’s easily prepared as a soup.
- It is most nutritious and delicious, you’ll be amazed at how fast you can make this and have dinner ready in minutes!
- Black beans have plenty of protein and fiber, leaving you full longer, while the rice adds a velvety texture to it.
- Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates which gives us the energy we need.
- The healthier choice would be brown rice, but I prefer using white rice with my soups.
- This dish is so filling, I didn’t need to make anything else. It’s a meal all alone, and it’s perfect for those meatless Mondays.
Quick Tips for Success…
- I used organic black beans and simmered the soup with a few ingredients for about 20 minutes.
- And, while I was simmering the soup, I also steamed one cup of white rice, adding it to the soup at the very last minute.
- Very easy to make. No need to use a pressure cooker or crockpot with this recipe.
- Always a good idea to have a few cans of organic black beans and rice in your pantry. You never know when you may need to make a quick meal or run out of food. And, that usually happens in my home, by the end of the week.
Black Bean and Rice Soup, as a quick meal, will surely become everyone’s favorite, especially my vegetarian friends.
A great recipe for you to try. We like to call this one – a bowl of health!
…Thanks for Pinning!
Looking for more hearty Bean Soups? Try some of these!
- 15 Bean Soup with Pancetta and Basil
- Creamy Black Bean Soup
- Tuscan Swiss Chard and Beans Soup
- Baby Lima Bean Soup
- Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
- Black Bean and Quinoa Soup
- Hearty Vegetable and Rice Soup
- 2 cans (15 ounces) organic black beans- rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion - peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks- chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup steamed rice
- grated Parmesan cheese, at table
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and add the onion and celery and sauté until the onions and celery become soft and translucent about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the stock, water, salt, cayenne pepper, and black beans.
- Bring soup to a low boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the rice and follow the directions of the package to steam the rice.
- Finally, add the cooked rice into the bean soup and stir until well combined for about 2 minutes, or until heated through. Turn off the heat.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some grated Parmigiano cheese on top. Serve warm.
- Serves 6 to 8