Black Bean and Rice Soup
Black Bean and Rice Soup is a simple recipe made with black beans, celery, onions, vegetable stock, and steamed rice. Simple, flavorful, and very filling! Plus, it’s a convenient and inexpensive meal when you need one. Only need a handful of staple ingredients to make this soup into a fabulous meal!
Reasons to LOVE this Black Bean and Rice Soup…
- Black Bean and Rice Soup is a hearty soup and one that offers a rich and thick texture leaving you to think it’s a stew. But don’t be fooled. It’s easily prepared as a soup.
- It is most nutritious and delicious, you’ll be amazed at how fast you can make this and have dinner ready in minutes!
- Black beans have plenty of protein and fiber, leaving you full longer, while the rice adds a velvety texture to it.
- Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates which gives us the energy we need.
- The healthier choice would be brown rice, but I prefer using white rice with my soups.
- This dish is so filling, I didn’t need to make anything else. It’s a meal all alone, and it’s perfect for those meatless Mondays.
Quick Tips for Success…
- I used organic black beans and simmered the soup with a few ingredients for about 20 minutes.
- And, while I was simmering the soup, I also steamed one cup of white rice, adding it to the soup at the very last minute.
- Very easy to make. No need to use a pressure cooker or crockpot with this recipe.
- Always a good idea to have a few cans of organic black beans and rice in your pantry. You never know when you may need to make a quick meal or run out of food. And, that usually happens in my home, by the end of the week.
Black Bean and Rice Soup, as a quick meal, will surely become everyone’s favorite, especially my vegetarian friends.
A great recipe for you to try. We like to call this one – a bowl of health!
…Thanks for Pinning!
Looking for more hearty Bean Soups? Try some of these!
- 15 Bean Soup with Pancetta and Basil
- Creamy Black Bean Soup
- Tuscan Swiss Chard and Beans Soup
- Baby Lima Bean Soup
- Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
- Black Bean and Quinoa Soup
- Hearty Vegetable and Rice Soup
Black Bean and Rice Soup
Black Bean and Rice Soup is made with black beans, celery, onions, vegetable stock, and steamed rice. Simple, flavorful and very filling! Plus, it's a convenient and inexpensive meal when you need one. Perfect for meatless meals!
- 2 cans (15 ounces) organic black beans- rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion - peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks- chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup steamed rice
- grated Parmesan cheese, at table
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and add the onion and celery and sauté until the onions and celery become soft and translucent about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the stock, water, salt, cayenne pepper, and black beans.
- Bring soup to a low boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the rice and follow the directions of the package to steam the rice.
- Finally, add the cooked rice into the bean soup and stir until well combined for about 2 minutes, or until heated through. Turn off the heat.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some grated Parmigiano cheese on top. Serve warm.
- Serves 6 to 8
This sounds so good! A combination I would not have thought of but I should have considering most of my Mexican restaurant entrees come with beans and rice 🙂
We made this soup again last night and I decided to add in a scoop of rice in the middle of each dish when serving. It made a lovely presentation and my family loved it! Only this recipe has an Italian flair to it! Lol…
This is great! I’ve never thought to make rice and beans a soup, but why not?!! I would personally love sour cream on this soup instead of Parmesan, but that’s just me. Love it.
Hi Mimi! The sour cream sounds delish! So go for it! Enjoy and thanks again
That sounds delicious! Maybe I will try it with sour cream too! Thanks for the tip! 🙂
Hey Ann and Liz am assuming you add the celery in your black bean and rice soup after the 3 to 5 mins of heating oil and onion?\
Heu Michael, yes! Did I miss that? I will go in and edit that – thanks for letting us know! Have a great weekend. 🙂
I love black bean soup, so full of healthy fiber and flavor! Love how you added rice in your recipe and so perfect for these cold January evenings!
Thanks Roz, This happens to be one of our favorite soups and our Dad's too.
I've thought a lot about this recipe since I saw it on your email post. It's amazing how something like this can be so simple yet so satisfying. I need to make it! I think I'm going to make your bolognese this weekend. Can't wait to try it!
Thanks Tricia! would love to hear how the sauce turns out for you!
A stick to your ribs but not your thighs soup! My favorite kind.
Lol. Joanne! Love your comments all the time!
I truly love every thing in this bowl and could eat it every singe day. Love your rendition, Ladies!
This looks like great soup, especially because I love black beans so much! Definitely going to give it a try!
Thanks Pamela! So nice to see you again! Black beans are my favorite as well!
What wonderful soup for cold weather. Simple, "unfussy" as a teacher of mine used to say, and soul satisfying. Well done you two! There are so many recipes out there that require a lot of work, and they are beautiful and delicious, but they are just not practical for every day eating. This is my kind of food. Thanks. Buon domenica!
Grazie Adri!! Yes, that is our style these days, cooking without a lot of work, and without sacrificing flavor!
Thanks again for your lovely comment.
Very hearty comfort food for sure, looks delicious! great for a rainy or snowy day! 🙂
Thank you Michael, and welcome to out site! It's so nice to meet you too! We enjoy this soup all winter long, hope you will too. Enjoy!
You're so right – this is a bowl of health! delicious and so perfect for this cold weather 🙂