Dover Sole Livornese is a flaky white fish poached with wine, chicken stock, garlic, onions, tomatoes, olives, capers, and artichoke hearts! These wonderful ingredients are absorbed by the fish while simmering, and it surely packs a LOT of flavors! So tasty! Dover Sole Livornese is a fast and easy recipe that makes a quick dinner in 20 minutes.
Dover Sole is a soft tender white fish with a mild taste and a delicate texture. It’s either sold fresh, frozen or filleted.
I found these Dover sole fillets at Trader Joe’s in the freezer section the other day and decided to try poaching them with a light Tuscany-style livornese sauce.
Frozen Dover Sole fillets are easier to cook and when they come available at Trader Joe’s I usually buy a few packages at a time and keep them in my freezer.
How to Make Dover Sole Livornese: (full recipe card below)
First, place the frozen package in the refrigerator overnight to defrost, or leave the package on your counter to defrost. They take only a short few hours to defrost.
Cut open the package (preferably near your sink to drain the liquid) and rinse them, drain and place them onto a plate.
Then prep and chop all the vegetables for this recipe.
4. Next, heat olive oil in a deep skillet pan and toss in the chopped onion, garlic, tomato, and capers. Saute for a few minutes until the vegetables have softened.
5. Simply lay the slices of Dover sole on top of these vegetables. Then, toss on top the artichokes, olives, and fresh chopped parsley. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
6. Next, pour in the white wine and chicken stock or fish stock. Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes more, or until the fillets are fully cooked and turn white.
7. Dover sole will be very soft and delicate when cooked, so use a large and wide spatula to pick them up and transfer them to a serving plate. Then spoon the remaining sauce over the fish and serve.
Don’t worry if the fish breaks apart when serving; it will not matter or change the flavor.
This recipe for Dover Sole Livornese is adaptable to any white fish. It’s simple and delicious and the sauce is very light and full of flavor.
An easy recipe and one that will make a seafood dinner fast and delicious!
We love these quick and easy dinners, don’t you?
For More Easy Seafood Recipes… try these:
- 8 ounce (1/2 pound) Dover Sole fillets, about 2 to 3 fillets
- 1 + 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves- chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. capers
- 1 ripe tomato - chopped
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- a small handful of green olives- cut in halves
- small handful kalamata olives -pitted
- 4 or 5 marinated baby artichoke hearts in oil
- fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or fish stock
- 1/2 Tbsp. lemon zest
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- If Dover Sole comes in a package, rinse the fillets under cold water and drain them, then place them on a plate nearby.
- In a large deep skillet or pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add in the chopped onions, garlic, tomato, capers, and crushed red pepper flakes. Saute and stir until the vegetables are softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the dove sole fillets on top of the sauteed vegetables. Then toss on top of the fish, the olives, fresh parsley, and artichokes. Season with some sea salt and black pepper. Pour in and around the fish the white wine and chicken broth. Toss in the lemon zest.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for about 5 to 6 minutes, until the fish is fully cooked.
- You can serve right from the skillet or transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve with sauce poured on top and around the fish. Don't worry if the fish falls apart, it won't change the flavor or presentation.
- Yields: 2 servings
After the fish is cooked, you can keep it covered with the lid until you are ready to serve. Just reheat it on low heat for a few minutes before serving. Fish will be very soft and delicate, so don't worry if it falls apart when serving.
Serving Size:1 serving (4-ounces)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 10.8gCarbohydrates: 9.2gProtein: 21g
… Thanks for PINNING!