Lentil Spinach Soup is a simple soup loaded with lentils, fresh baby spinach, carrots and a few extra vegetables. Flavorful, very light, and comforting, this Lentil Spinach Soup makes a perfect meal to come home to. An easy recipe to make and a delicious soup you can enjoy all week long and never get tired of eating the same thing!
Lentil Spinach Soup is SO EASY to make! Lentils cook up very quickly, and they practically cook by themselves the longer they sit on the stove. Lentils, spinach and carrots are low in calories, but extremely high in nutrition.
Lentils are a good source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K, and are particularly rich in dietary fiber, while spinach is packed with vital nutrients such as iron and beta-carotene. They are considered to be among the “power-foods” these days.
Lentils alone as a soup, normally melts in your mouth with every spoonful. But when you add in some carrots, celery, onions and garlic like I did here, doesn’t hurt either. It actually gives this soup a ton of flavor!
Lentil Spinach Soup is triple delicious and triple good for everyone! Hope you’ll try this one. It won’t disappoint!
Here’s a kitchen tip: If you are cooking this soup early in the day, simmer the lentils for only 15 minutes. Then turn off the heat, and leave it covered while it sits on the stove. When you are ready to reheat the soup before dinner, and while reheating, add the spinach for the very last few minutes before serving.
If you make this soup – please snap a photo and hashtag it #2sistersrecipes. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots - thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks - thinly sliced
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups (32 ounce) low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups of water
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried lentils (about 2+1/2 cups)
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach, rinsed
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- In a 3 to 4-quart soup pot, heat olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in salt, red pepper flakes, water, vegetable stock, and lentils. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Last step, add the spinach into the soup and simmer for a few minutes more, until spinach wilts. Taste and season with fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- If the soup is too thick, add an additional ½ cup of water or stock.
- Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano grated cheese at the table.
- Serves 6