Lentil Spinach Soup is a simple soup loaded with lentils, fresh baby spinach, carrots and a few extra vegetables. Flavorful, very light, and comforting, this Lentil Spinach Soup makes a perfect meal to come home to. An easy recipe to make and a delicious soup you can enjoy all week long and never get tired of eating the same thing!
This recipe for lentil spinach soup is SO EASY to make!
Lentils cook up very quickly, and they practically cook by themselves the longer they sit on the stove; slowly absorbing most of the liquid in the pot.
Best of all, 1 cup of lentils gives you 47 grams of protein.
Plus, the veggies in this soup including, spinach, carrots, celery and onions are not only low in calories, but extremely high in nutrients! A win-win!
This recipe is adapted from our low-fat lentil soup with veggies and it’s still one of our favorite soups! The recipe is easily adaptable, you can add more or less veggies to your taste.
Lentils are a good source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K, and are particularly rich in dietary fiber, while spinach is packed with vital nutrients such as iron and beta-carotene. They are considered to be among the “power-foods” these days.
What I love best about this lentil soup? Besides the fact that lentils normally melts in your mouth with every spoonful, is the addition of carrots, celery, onions and garlic that gives this soup a ton of flavor!
Your family and friends will love this Lentil Spinach Soup! It is triple delicious and triple healthy for everyone!
Hope you’ll try this one!
Here’s a COOK’s Tip:
If you are cooking this soup early in the day, simmer ONLY the lentils for only 15 minutes. Then turn off the heat, and leave it covered while it sits on the stove. When you are ready to serve the soup before dinner, while its reheating, toss in the spinach at the very last few minutes before serving.
…Thanks for Pinning!
More Tasty Soup Recipes! Try these:
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots - thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks - thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups (32 ounce) low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups of water
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried lentils (about 2+1/2 cups)
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach, rinsed
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- In a 3 to 4-quart soup pot, heat olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in salt, red pepper flakes, water, vegetable stock, and lentils. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Last step, add the spinach into the soup and simmer for a few minutes more, until spinach wilts. Taste and season with fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- If the soup is too thick, add an additional 1/2 cup of water or stock.
- Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano grated cheese at the table.
- Serves 6