This comforting and cozy Hearty Lentil Soup features a thick broth with tender lentils and creamy potatoes that melt in your mouth with every spoonful. It’s vegan, protein-packed, and high in fiber. A simple recipe that requires no blending, and achieves a creamy texture is a winner. This soup is easy, satisfying, and positively delicious!
Hearty Lentil Soup…
This is one of the easiest soups to make!
- It is a soup with lentils as the main ingredient and flavored with a few additional ingredients.
- There’s no special equipment needed.
- Lentil soups can be vegetarian or include meat, and may come in different colors such as brown, red, yellow, green, and even black lentils.
- Lentils lend themselves to a simple simmer with liquid, a few seasonings, and vegetables.
- Best of all, it’s protein-packed, and high in fiber legume.
These Simple Ingredients are Needed…
This soup requires a few ingredients.
DRIED LENTILS: Choose a package of Non-GMO or organic dried lentils for maximum flavor.
BROTH: we prefer to use organic vegetable broth along with water.
VEGETABLES: only whole garlic cloves and 1/2 of a small onion are needed to flavor this soup.
POTATOES: only 2 potatoes chopped or 1-inch cubed will make this soup thick and creamy without adding any additional ingredients or dairy.
HIMALAYAN SALT: These days, we prefer to use Pink Himalayan salt. It is a better salt, containing over 84 minerals and trace elements. It has more potassium, magnesium, and iron than table salt. Plus, it is also less processed.
How to make our Hearty Lentil Soup? (*full recipe card below)
1. This recipe starts with rinsing the lentils and draining them. Then toss all the ingredients into one soup pot. There’s nothing to saute.
2. Next, simmer the soup on low heat, covered, until the lentils are tender, and the potatoes are softened, about 15 minutes or more.
3. Finally, taste the soup, and adjust the seasonings, as needed. Then serve.
QUICK NOTES and TIPS…
- Keep in mind, all packages of lentils are different. Some will require a longer time to cook, while other brands will need less time.
- Lentils will continue to thicken and absorb the broth, the longer it sits and even after you turn off the heat.
- No need to chop the garlic or onion. Just toss them in.
- If you find the soup gets too thick? Simply stir in a little water to your liking.
- What Brand of Lentils did I use? I used a brand called Camellia Lentils. They are non-Gmo and cook up quickly.
Health Benefits of Potatoes:
- Did you know that potatoes are antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial?
- Plus, they contain nutritional cofactors and coenzymes plus bioactive compounds to keep you healthy and assist you with stress.
- Potatoes are also brain food. It helps keep us grounded and centered.
Add in additional vegetables of your choice, such as carrots, celery, and tomatoes. The possibilities are endless.
Lentil Soups are healthy for the whole family!
This one is hearty, filling, and very tasty. The creamy potatoes are delightful in this soup.
It is simple, easy, and loaded with goodness – perfect for a quick meal. Ideal to serve for lunch or dinner.
Try this recipe, it won’t disappoint.
Additional recipes for Lentils…
- 8 ounces dried lentils - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups of water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 of a small onion (do not chop)
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 2 (Idaho or baking) potatoes- chopped or cubed
- dash of cayenne pepper
- freshly chopped Italian parsley
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Place all the ingredients in a medium-sized pot and cover it with a lid. Turn on high heat and bring the soup to a full boil.
- Next, lower the heat, and simmer the soup on low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lentils are done when they are softened and tender to the bite.
- Turn off the heat. Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your taste. Fish out the garlic cloves and onion.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with grated parmesan cheese at the table.
- yields: 6 servings
Keep in mind, as the soup cools down, it will continue to thicken the broth.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: .7gCarbohydrates: 34.9gFiber: 13.4gSugar: 2gProtein: 11.9g
…Don’t forget to Pin this to your Soup Board!
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you make our easy Hearty Lentil Soup we’d love to know how it turned out!
Please let us know by leaving a review and a star rating below. Sharing your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps us too!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
thanks for stopping by…
xo anna and liz