Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese is an easy and flavorful side dish and healthy too! I promise that all of your skeptical, picky eaters who turn up their noses at the mention of “Brussels Sprouts” will quickly become converts when presented with my revitalized recipe.
A Modern Twist of Brussel Sprouts…
My delicious, modern twist on this tired vegetable is roasting the Brussels Sprouts with bacon, onions, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, extra-virgin olive oil, and Parmesan cheese.
Just prep and pop them into the oven for a tasty side dish! It’s that easy.
Prepared in this fashion, the “unpopular” brussels sprouts flavor is camouflaged.
The result is a crunchy, crispy dish with silky onions that is irresistible to pass up at the table!
These brussels sprouts are SO delicious, no one will ever believe they’re eating them.
Brussels sprouts are at their best during the fall and winter months when the cold weather concentrates their sugars and brings out their nutty flavor.
They are little cousins to the cabbage, but with a lot less pungent nature and they are a natural match for bacon and onions.
And, of course, adding some Parmesan cheese doesn’t hurt either!
Ingredients and Notes for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese:
Bacon: Liz and I love the flavor of bacon but not fond of the fat that comes along with it. So we strip most of the fat beforehand from the bacon and use only the leaner pieces. Using a package of smoked, uncured bacon in this recipe, adds so much flavor to the Brussels sprouts.
Garlic Powder: works beautifully with this vegetable, so don’t leave it out. No need to add too many seasonings.
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: prefer EVOO (instead of butter), it adds a healthy flavor.
Onion: one onion chopped always adds flavor to the sprouts.
Parmesan Cheese: before the sprouts are completely roasted, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese over them and return them to roast for a few more minutes until the cheese melts. This will infuse and enhance all the flavors making them even more delicious.
- Brussels Sprouts: you will need about pound of them, then rinse, clean, and slice each one in half.
As you know, we believe adding a little parmesan cheese makes everything taste better.
These days, my family adores roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, even my Maria who is the picky eater in the family!
A great side dish to serve for the family, a small dinner party and the holidays.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese will complement any meat, seafood, or chicken entree!
Try this recipe with friends and family, I promise they will be asking for seconds.
Double the recipe for additional servings!
(*Full recipe card below!)
DIRECTIONS to Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204.4C). Spray the bottom of a large roasting pan with cooking spray and set aside. Remove 3 to 4 slices of bacon from its package, trim and discard excess fat from the bacon and chop into pieces. Set aside.
2. Spread Brussels sprouts in a single layer in the prepared roasting pan.
Scatter the chopped onion, garlic powder, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes over them.
3. Drizzle olive oil over them. Sprinkle with pieces of lean bacon on top.
4. Place the pan in the center of the oven. Roast, uncovered for 15 minutes and stir or shake the pan once, and continue roasting until Brussels sprouts are browned and tender, about 25-30 minutes total.
Optional: For the last 5 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over them and return to oven for the last 3 to 5 minutes, or until Parmesan cheese is melted.
Remove and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
Serves 5 to 6
More Reasons to LOVE Brussels Sprouts:
- Easy Brussels Sprouts Soup
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Quinoa, Brown Rice and Wine
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Broccoli
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, cleaned- sliced in halves
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 to 4 slices Smoked Uncured Bacon, excess fat removed, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. of grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the bottom of a large roasting pan with cooking spray and set aside. Remove 3 to 4 slices of bacon from its package, trim and discard excess fat from the bacon and chop into pieces. Set aside.
- Spread Brussels sprouts in a single layer in the prepared roasting pan.
- Scatter the chopped onion, garlic powder, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes over them.
- Drizzle olive oil over them. Sprinkle with pieces of lean bacon on top.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven. Roast, uncovered for 15 minutes and stir or shake the pan once, and continue roasting until Brussels sprouts are browned and tender, about 25-30 minutes total.
- Optional: For the last 5 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over them and return to oven for the last 3 to 5 minutes, or until Parmesan cheese is melted.
- Remove and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Serves 5 to 6
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 12.9gCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3.2gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 9.9g
Go ahead and PIN it to your Vegetable and Dinner Boards!
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you make our roasted brussels sprouts with bacon and Parmesan cheese, we’d love to know how it turned out! Please let us know by leaving a review and a star rating below. Sharing your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps us too!
Also, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Subscribe to 2 Sisters Recipes… and get all new posts FREE, and reminders of some great older ones too!
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!