Best Homemade Coffee Pudding is a coffee-flavored dessert that’s lusciously creamy and tastes like your favorite caffe latte, only it is served chilled. No eggs are required, just a few ingredients for this easy recipe, that is inexpensive to make in your own kitchen.
Best Homemade Coffee Pudding…
Coffee pudding is a lovely dessert you can enjoy either as an afternoon snack (like a “pick me up”) or as an after-dinner treat.
We enjoy coffee desserts from time to time and adore our Coffee Banana Milkshake, along with Tiramisu Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips, and of course, the Best Tiramisu (No-Bake!). Be sure to try those too!
Best of all? There are NO eggs in this pudding recipe! Plus, no need to pass the pudding mixture through a sieve. (yay!)
Just a simple recipe with an easy method to make it on the stovetop. Then chill for a few hours before serving.
How to make the Best Coffee Pudding?
For our easy recipe, you will only need these kitchen items and a few ingredients:
- A small saucepot
- stainless steel whisk or a wooden spoon for stirring
- a few measuring spoons
- and some freshly brewed coffee (strong is preferred)
- plus 7 ingredients: cream, milk, sugar, cinnamon, salt, cornstarch, and butter
- optional: some chocolate to shave or grated on top
Our Method to Making Homemade Coffee Pudding…
Our method is simple: (*full recipe card below!)
- Place most of the ingredients in the saucepot and turn on medium-high heat. Whisk the ingredients until it starts to make bubbles, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, you will notice the pudding mixture bubbles up and begins to rise like “lava.” Lower the heat and simmer on low heat. Continue stirring for an additional 3 to 5 minutes and until it begins to thicken.
- The mixture will thicken when you notice it sticks to the sides of the pot and to the back of your wooden spoon.
- Then turn off the heat, and toss in the butter, and stir until it fully melts. Remove from heat and leave it alone for 2 to 3 minutes to cool down. The mixture will continue to thicken slowly as it cools. Stir the pudding every so often.
5. Then give it one last whisk, and transfer the pudding to a ceramic heat-resistant bowl, or to 4 ramekins or small dessert glasses.
6. Cover with clear wrap, touching the surface of the pudding. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 3 hours or more. Remove the clear wrap and keep it chilled until ready to serve.
7. Cooking time is about 10 minutes, plus additional few minutes for the pudding to “rest” on the stovetop before transferring to the bowl.
Options for serving…
- grated or shaved dark chocolate – just a little sprinkle as a garnish
- canned whipped cream – but you will need to serve it immediately.
- homemade whipped cream – fresh homemade whipped cream is even better.
Can we make the pudding “dairy-free”?
Yes. you can. You can easily make this coffee pudding using your favorite dairy-free just by switching out the half and half cream and milk for coconut cream, and coconut milk.
Is coffee pudding “gluten-free”?
Yes, it is. I thickened the pudding using cornstarch.
What does coffee pudding taste like?
It tastes like your favorite ice cold caffe latte. It’s so good, you’ll enjoy every spoonful.
What is the serving size of pudding?
Usually, it is 1/2 cup per serving, which will give you 4 servings with our recipe.
Can we make it decaffeinated?
Keep in mind, if you have family and friends who are sensitive to caffeine? Then, it is best to use “decaffeinated” coffee with our recipe.
A Few Notes and Tips!
- Do not cook the mixture on “high” heat. You could burn the mix easily.
- It’s BEST to cook the pudding mixture on a “medium” or “medium-high” until it starts to boil. Then turn the heat down to a simmer for a few minutes more until the mixture thickens and sticks to the back of the spoon.
- Total time to make it is approximately 12 minutes.
- I prefer not to cover the pudding. But most do not like the skin forming on the top. Therefore, you may cover the pudding with some clear wrap and press directly on the pudding to prevent skin from forming on the top. Chill it for several hours. Then spoon the pudding into individual dessert glasses, and sprinkle it with some grated chocolate on top before serving.
- No need to whisk constantly, but you do need to stir often so that it doesn’t burn.
- Refrigerate until serving. Coffee pudding will stay fresh chilled, and for up to 24 hours. After that, it starts to break down, and become liquidly because its made with all natural ingredients.
- Do not freeze the pudding, unless you plan to make ice pops with the mixture.
- When ready to serve, top with some fresh whipped cream.. it’s a pillow of heaven!
Homemade Coffee Pudding is a delightful treat to enjoy in the afternoon or as an after-dinner dessert.
Everyone who tried this recipe – LOVED it – hands down!
Try it. …and let us know how you like it.
Additional Delicious and No-Bake Desserts…
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding
- Classic Panna Cotta
- Best Tiramisu
- No-Bake Banana Pudding Icebox Bars
- Easy Ice Cream Cake (No-Bake!)
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1 cup of non-fat milk
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 3 Tbsp. of cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. grated dark chocolate, as garnish
- optional: fresh whipped cream, for serving
1. In a small saucepan, pour in the half and half, milk, cinnamon, sugar, cornstarch, freshly brewed coffee, and salt. Turn on the heat to moderate heat, and whisk all the ingredients in the pot.
2. Continue to whisk and stir for about 5 minutes until the sugar dissolves, and continue stirring the mixture until it comes to a low boil. NOTE: Stirring constantly is a must until you notice the pudding mixture bubbles and begins to rise like lava.
3. Then lower the heat and simmer the pudding for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until you notice the pudding is sticking to the back of the spoon and up the sides of the pot. This is an indication that is it thickening.
4. Next, turn off the heat. Toss in the butter, and continue to stir until the butter completely melts into the mixture. Remove from heat, allow the pudding to remain in the pot, and cool down for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. The pudding will continue thickening while it cools down. Stir the pudding occasionally. Give the pudding one final whisk.
5. Next, transfer the pudding mixture to a ceramic bowl or a heat-proof glass bowl. NOTE: You can divide the pudding mixture into 4 small ramekins or dessert glasses.
6. Cover with clear plastic wrap on top, directly touching the surface of the pudding. Chill the pudding for a few hours or more. Overnight is best.
7. Remove the plastic wrap. Here is where you can stir the pudding and spoon it into individual dessert glasses. Sprinkle with some grated chocolate on top of each, and place it back into the fridge until you are ready to serve. When ready to serve, top with fresh whipped cream and serve immediately.
Yields: 4 servings
Write additional notes: Keep in mind, that the calories per serving do not include the whipped cream on top.
Homemade coffee pudding will stay fresh for up to 24 hours, after that it will start to break down and become liquidly.
Serving Size:1 serving (1/2 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 7.7gCarbohydrates: 23.9gFiber: .2gSugar: 21.1gProtein: 4g
Nutrition Facts… Servings: 4 servings. Amount per serving 1 (1/2cup): Calories178, Total Fat 7.7g10%Saturated Fat 4.9g24%Cholesterol 24mg8%Sodium 99mg4%Total Carbohydrate 23.9g9%Dietary Fiber 0.2g1%Total Sugars 21.1g Protein 4g Vitamin D 0mcg2%Calcium 145mg11%Iron 0mg1%Potassium 194mg4%.
Tried our recipe for Homemade Coffee Pudding? Let us know and leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you! Everyone will benefit from who reads them, especially if you adapt this recipe for any particular diet or allergies.
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get our recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too.
Have a great day…. and thanks for stopping by!
Happy & Healthy Life! 🙂
xo anna and liz