This delicious Creamy Broccoli Soup without the cream is light with a velvety texture and makes a great starter to any meal. Creamy broccoli soup is quickly made in one pot and gets to the table in minutes, and it provides your family with a nutritious dish to help fight the cold season. What could be better?
Looking for a fast dish, and one that needs no special equipment to make it? This is one of them!
Creamy Broccoli Soup is simple and versatile to serve. You can either puree it into a creamy mixture as I did here or puree half of the mixture and leave the other half with chunks of broccoli for a chunky-style soup.
I decided to top each dish with some freshly diced tomatoes, but you can top it with bonuses like chili oil, croutons, or whatever your heart desires.
Creamy broccoli soup is very light, delicious and satisfying!
Most creamy soups have tons of heavy cream in them. So don’t be fooled – just because it says creamy, doesn’t mean it has cream in it.
For this recipe, it’s a simple puree of steamed fresh broccoli with a few fresh vegetables, water, vegetable broth and herbs to help flavor this soup. Best of all, it takes under 30 minutes to prepare and serve!
Keep in mind, this recipe contains a little butter, but you can omit that if you are following the Vegan diet.
Broccoli is considered to be one of the ‘power foods’ among the vegetable group. We try our best to incorporate this healthy vegetable into our meals as much as possible.
You may want to try another delicious soup that incorporates frozen broccoli, try our quick & easy soup with broccoli. And, if you need help in how-to-clean-broccoli with easy-to-follow instructions, click our easy broccoli leek soup.
Creamy Broccoli Soup is truly good for you. It provides lots of vitamin C, even in just a cup! You can serve it as a first course for lunch, or for dinner. Store leftovers in a sealed container and in the fridge, up to 3 days.
Please PIN and Share!! Thanks again…
More Delicious Creamy Soups!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 bunch of Broccoli
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 2 stalks of celery- chopped
- 1 garlic clove- sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 + 1/2 cups low-sodium Vegetable broth
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. dried marjoram
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp. basil chopped
- 1 cup water ( if needed )
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Optional - 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped for garnish.
- Peel the stalks of the broccoli, and cut them into 1/2 inch lengths. Break the tops into small florets. Rinse and wash the broccoli. In a medium pot, bring 1 cup of water to boil, add the broccoli, cover, and steam for 3 minutes.
- In another large saucepot, cook the onion, celery, and garlic in the butter and oil over moderately low heat, for about 4 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add the broth and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs and the steamed broccoli. Heat the soup for about 6 minutes. Simmer the soup until it's heated through. Taste the soup, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In small batches, transfer soup to a blender, food processor, or use a handheld immersion blender, which I like to use, and simply puree into a creamy texture and serve!
- If the soup is too thick for your liking, just add a little water.
- Optional: garnish with a spoonful of chopped tomato. You may serve it with some grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
- Serves 6
This recipe was first posted back in February 2012, some of the text, recipe, and photos have been updated. We hope you’ll like it!