Easy Broccoli Leek Soup. Broccoli Leek Soup is an easy soup blended with these simple ingredients: fresh leeks, fresh broccoli, broth, olive oil, water, and garlic. If you’re looking for a bowl of health, this one is for you! Loaded with flavor, this delicious soup may seem very plain, but it’s surprisingly very flavorful and filling. Dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
No need to use any fancy equipment for this soup. Just a simple simmer with all of the ingredients for about 20 minutes. Give it a quick puree and dish it up!
You may say this Easy Broccoli Leek Soup is no-carb, gluten-free, vegan, whole 30, dairy-free, and everything in between. 🙂
This Easy Broccoli Leek Soup also makes a great starter, and it’s one that will go perfectly with any sandwich or salad for a quick meal on busy weeknights.
Since my youngest happens to LOVE broccoli. I try to incorporate broccoli weekly and decided to make it into a simple soup by only adding a few extra ingredients for more flavor.
Besides the obvious ingredients, fresh parsley is always a must in my soups.
I always toss in a handful of fresh parsley adding more depth of flavor and nutrients.
Here’s a great tip for fresh parsley!
- Since it’s not easy to keep fresh parsley on hand, I always keep extra in my freezer. Simply, cut any large stems off and discard those. Then rinse, spin excess water and place it into a ziplock bag, and freeze!
- It’s always ready to use whenever I need some for my recipes!
Your family will love this Easy Broccoli Leek Soup!
This is a delicious tasting soup with broccoli, and leeks are wonderful when added to this soup!
Ultimately, leeks will sweeten the flavor of the broccoli. I prefer to use only the white part of the leeks and discard the dark green ends.
The white stalk of the leeks is the sweetest and most tender part, and they’re loaded with vitamins.
Recently, my daughter asked me “how is it that my broccoli always tastes great every time I make it, and no matter how I cook it.”
And I explained to her that it’s the time and the extra effort I take to properly clean the broccoli.
HOW TO CLEAN FRESH BROCCOLI? ( Watch Our 1-minute Video!):
- Simply cut off about 1 inch at the end of each stalk, and discard. Then remove and peel away the skins of each stalk which are tough and stringy.
- Use a good knife to peel the stalks, the same way you remove the skins of potatoes (only the stalk’s skins are thicker).
- Cleaning the stalks properly is important since they are the most tender and flavorful part of the broccoli.
- Then chop each stalk into chunks and toss them into a bowl of water along with the florets.
- Submerging in water will allow the soil to escape from the florets. Surprisingly, if you use a white plastic bowl to wash your vegetables this way, you will see how much soil actually falls to the bottom.
- Next, drain and give it one last rinse and drain again. If the broccoli is not washed properly, you may taste the soil inside its florets, and that leaves a bad taste and flavor.
Easy Broccoli Leek Soup is loaded with flavor!
Making simple and yummy soups like this Broccoli Leek Soup for dinner and maybe even having it again for lunch the next day is like eating a bowl of health!
The cool weather gives me the perfect excuse to make soups.
Also, try a few more bowls of healthy soup, like our:
- EASY Brussels Sprouts Soup … and our
- Creamy Artichoke Soup!
- Lemon Orzo Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Parmesan Soup
…Thanks for Pinning!
Additional recipes for broccoli…
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 + 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large leek, rinsed and chopped (use white part only and discard the green part)
- 1 whole head of fresh broccoli, cleaned, trimmed, florets and stalks cut into large chunks
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, and extra
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley ( I throw in a good handful)
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- optional: grated Parmesan cheese, at the table
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat and add the garlic cloves and chopped leeks. Saute for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli, vegetable broth, water, fresh parsley, and cayenne pepper. Make sure the liquid is leveled or even slightly above the ingredients. Here is where you can add more water or broth to be leveled if needed.
- Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat to the lowest setting, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season the broth with salt to taste. Optional: you can season with black pepper to your preference, but not required.
- Turn off heat and puree in a few batches in your blender or use a handheld immersion to blend and puree the soup.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls and serve. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 serving (1 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 46Total Fat: 3.1gCarbohydrates: 3.2gFiber: .6gSugar: .8gProtein: 1.9g