Lemon Orzo Soup features veggies and baby spinach along with a delightful lemon flavor. The simplicity of our lemon orzo soup is what makes it special. It’s easy to make and very tasty! Best of all, it is ready in 20 minutes.
It’s an ideal soup to serve family and friends. Serve this lemon orzo soup with some crusty bread and a salad for a complete meal.
Lemon Orzo Soup
But this recipe is different, containing lemon juice and orzo pasta in it and with enough veggies to add additional flavor, color, and textures.
This orzo soup is SO simple and SO delicious, you’ll want to keep this one on rotation.
What is Orzo?
- Orzo is a kind of Italian pasta.
- It is also known as risoni, a form of short-cut pasta, shaped like a large grain of rice.
- Orzo pasta is traditionally made with semolina, a type of flour made from durum wheat.
- They are sold in every supermarket. But, Trader Joe’s sells packages of Italian Orzo Pasta (a product of Italy) for the best price: $1.00 per package. (…you can’t beat that!) 😉
How to Make This Lemon Orzo Soup?
1. This recipe starts with sauteing onion, garlic, and carrots for 2 minutes.
2. Next, pour in all the liquid, both water, and broth, and bring it to a boil. Toss in orzo pasta, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
3. Simmer the soup until the orzo pasta is al-dente.
4. Finally, toss in a couple of handfuls of baby spinach and simmer until it wilts. Stir in lemon juice and cheese and the soup is ready to serve!
Cook’s Notes and Tips:
- Can we use chicken broth? Yes, if you prefer, you can use chicken broth.
- Can we toss in additional spinach? Absolutely! You can toss in more spinach to your preference.
- Need it to be Vegan? Omit the grated cheese at the end.
- Can we make it Gluten-Free? Yes, just look for your favorite GF orzo pasta.
Your family will love this easy lemon orzo soup!
This is such a flavorful dish and one you’ll enjoy making over and over again.
The flavor of lemon is mild, not overpowering, giving this soup a lovely lemon scent. It’s delicious!
Thanks for Pinning!
More Delicious Soup Recipes!
- Tortellini in Brodo (in Broth)
- Brothy White Beans Soup
- Easy Pasta Fagioli
- Black Bean and Quinoa Soup
- Easy Broccoli Leek Soup
- 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 thin carrots- sliced
- 1 garlic clove - diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil and saute chopped onion, carrots, and garlic for two minutes, until softened.
- Pour in vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, and add in orzo pasta, salt, and crushed red pepper. Lower the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer the soup until orzo pasta is al-dente, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in baby spinach and lemon juice. Simmer for an additional minute. Turn off the heat. NOTE: here is where you stir in parmesan cheese. Then taste the soup, and adjust the seasoning, as needed.
- Serve in soup bowls with additional grated cheese at the table.
- yields: 4 servings
If you need more servings, you can easily double the ingredients.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 8.7gCarbohydrates: 41.1gFiber: 3.6gSugar: 5.2gProtein: 9.3g
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you make our Lemon Orzo Soup, we’d love to know how it turned out! Please let us know by leaving a review and a star rating below.
Sharing your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps us too! Have fun and snap a photo! Then hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest if you like. We’d love to share your photos with the world!
Follow us on Social Media!
Don’t forget to “SUBSCRIBE” to 2 Sisters Recipes and receive our recipes “FREE” every time we post a new one and reminders of great older ones too.
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
thanks for stopping by…
xo anna and liz