Mom’s Chicken Soup with Quinoa ~ is homemade chicken soup made with an entire chicken, fresh chopped vegetables, seasonings and quinoa (instead of noodles) to give it a healthy twist! This happens to be our mother’s Italian version of her traditional chicken soup, with a minor change. It’s perfect for a light dinner this week, and you can reheat some for lunch, the very next day. It’s very light, low calorie and low in fat with a lot of protein.
And, what makes this a low calorie and low fat chicken soup?
The secret is the removal of all the skin and fat from the chicken. Then, replacing the pastina or noodles with a high protein grain like quinoa, gives it a full body flavor while adding more protein into the soup, leaving you fuller longer. Using quinoa makes this a great gluten-free dish.
Mom’s chicken soup is then simmered for at least 2 hours making the chicken practically melt into pieces and in your mouth. Then the quinoa is added and cooked for the last 10 minutes. Mmm…so yummy!
This is a perfect recipe for the stove top or slow cooker, and even your instant pot. And it makes enough to feed a crowd!
You can pair this soup with a tossed salad and a side dish of steamed vegetables. It’s so good for you and delicious, without all the fat and calories and it’s Gluten-Free!
Your family will ask for seconds!
Please PIN it to your Dinner Board!!
Mom's Chicken Soup with Quinoa
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Soup / starter
Serves: 6 to 8
Mom's Chicken Soup with Quinoa ~ is homemade chicken soup made with an entire chicken, fresh chopped vegetables, seasonings and quinoa (instead of noodles) to give it a healthy twist! Perfect for the Instant pot, slow cooker or stove top!
- One whole chicken
- 12 to 15 cups water
- 2 whole carrots - cut into large chunks
- 2 celery stalks - cut into large chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 large white onion- cut in half
- 1 fresh tomato- cut in half
- 1 cube of beef bouillon
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 cup of Quinoa (pre-washed, no rinsing brand )
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large bowl, remove all the skin and fat from the chicken and rinse thoroughly. Cut the chicken into large chunks, leaving the bones within. Fill a large pot (about 8-quart pot) with water, about 12 cups of water. Add all ingredients. Fill with more water if you can. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer for two hours. Then set aside to cool.
- With a slotted spoon, fish out and remove most of the vegetables and bay leaves, leaving only carrots and celery. Also, remove all the bones from chicken and discard the bones.
- Turn the heat on low. Bring to a low boil and add the quinoa and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste the broth and season with more salt if desired. No pepper. Serve and add some Parmesan cheese into each bowl or at the table.
- Chicken soup stays fresh up to 3 days refrigerated.
- Serves 6 to 8