Bucatini with Truffle Oil and Ricotta Salata. Bucatini pasta is tossed with a light sauce made easily in a skillet with sautéed garlic, sliced shallots, sliced white mushrooms, and truffle oil. Topped with grated Ricotta Salata, gives this dish exquisite flavors and even the ‘wow’ factor! This is an easy dish for you to whip up, and will definitely impress your family and friends!
My family was asking for a pasta dish, which I confess, I hadn’t made in a while.
My inspiration for this dish came from noticing that the calendar has turned to the middle of October, which in Italy, is the start of the Truffle season!
Since my family loves truffles, I wanted to make them their favorite dish, pasta with truffle oil.
You are going to LOVE this recipe!
It is going to be a fall staple for you. Be sure to check out some other recipes like our Parmesan Truffle Oil Potato Wedges and Wild Mushrooms with Cognac and Truffle Oil.
What are Truffles?
First, let me give you some background information about them. White truffles or black truffles are rare wild mushrooms that are hunted down by trained dogs who sniff them up from the ground.
They have a pungent, earthy taste with an intense aroma and characteristic flavor.
Since they are only in season in Northern Italy and in the fall, they are extremely expensive to buy and are also in high demand from renowned chefs around the world who treasure them to inspire culinary delights in their restaurants.
But we savvy shoppers know that we don’t need to buy these expensive little gems in order to get the same flavors.
The flavor of these truffle mushrooms comes bottled and infused in olive oil (imported from Italy) and can be found in every grocery store, usually in the olive oil or international aisle.
(As you can see, I buy a few bottles at a time…)
Bucatini with Truffle Oil and Ricotta Salata is relatively easy to prepare.
In this recipe, I decided to add some white button mushrooms as well, to give the dish a more earthy flavor and hearty texture.
Using bucatini pasta (a thicker spaghetti with a hole in the center) helps to create a heartier dish.
*Full recipe card below!
Ingredients needed for this recipe…
For this recipe, you will need:
extra virgin olive oil
1 (8-ounce) package sliced white mushrooms
pinch of cayenne pepper
fresh cracked pepper to taste
Truffle Oil – white or black
one package of Bucatini pasta
1 small package Ricotta Salata
Then, top this dish with some freshly grated Ricotta Salata before serving gives it the international flair it deserves.
It is so delicious – it’s totally AMAZING!
What is Ricotta Salata?
Ricotta Salata is a white, hard sheep’s milk ricotta that is dried and cured in salt; and can be found in the cheese section at the grocery store. Since it comes in solid form, you need to take a few minutes ahead of serving to grate it fresh and transfer it to a small plate for serving.
Don’t worry about the taste. Ricotta Salata is slightly on the salty side, adding an exciting flavor to this pasta.
Cook’s Notes and TIPS!
This recipe is easy to adapt to your family’s taste. You can adjust the amount of truffle flavor you choose to use.
I’ve made this pasta dish a hundred times and each time I’ve made it slightly different.
You can also drizzle truffle oil on other pasta dishes like our recipe for Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil.
Try using gluten-free pasta with this recipe!
Truffle oil is a very delicate oil and it’s preferably used as a condiment. It’s not meant for cooking.
Simply drizzle the amount of truffle oil you prefer over freshly cooked pasta.
Don’t Like Eating Real Mushrooms?
No problem. Just leave them out.
… Don’t forget to PIN and Save! … thanks again.
MORE TASTY PASTA DISHES!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- 2 garlic cloves- sliced
- 2 shallots- finely sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced white mushrooms, already cleaned
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Truffle Oil
- 1/2 pound of Bucatini pasta
- 1 small package Ricotta Salata - freshly grated, set aside
- In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil on low heat. Add shallots, garlic, and sauté until they are softened and translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms soften.
- Then add the cayenne pepper, salt, and parsley. Cover and lower the heat to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more, until mushrooms are tender.
- Turn OFF the heat. Taste, and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Next, stir in Truffle Oil. Cover to keep warm, set aside.
- Meantime, add 2 teaspoons of salt to a large pot of boiling water. Add bucatini pasta and cook until al-dente, about 6 - 7 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of salted pasta water, before draining. When pasta is ready, drain, and return to the pot.
- Transfer the mushroom and truffle oil sauce over the bucatini pasta. (Here is where you can add more truffle oil to adjust the amount to your preference).
- Add in the reserved water and toss to combine well. Serve into individual bowls. Add freshly grated ricotta salata on top. Serve immediately.
- Serves 4