Cheese Ravioli with Bolognese Sauce is an elegant pasta dish that will definitely impress your family and friends! Bolognese sauce is a mouthwatering hearty meat sauce made from scratch, combining chopped beef with chopped veal to create a very light and tasty meat sauce. Then serve it over cheese ravioli to create a perfect dish! You can use Bolognese Sauce over any favorite pasta or use it in your lasagna.
Cheese Ravioli with Bolognese Sauce can be served the first course or alone with crusty Italian bread and your favorite salad. Pair this dish with a glass of Chianti from Tuscany and you will have one delicious meal!
This delicious dish can be an all-time favorite for any holiday or when entertaining with friends.
As kids growing up, it was normal for us to watch Mom cook a Sunday dinner for the entire family that usually started around 10 am and ended around 2 pm.
Her staple dishes were always pasta with meatballs or cheese ravioli with her famous Bolognese Sauce. Through the years and still today, the family with all the grandkids look forward to grandma Maria Sunday dinners.
Enjoy your weekend!
*Full recipe card below!
Ingredients Needed for Cheese Ravioli with Bolognese Sauce:
1 package of 24 Medium Square Cheese Ravioli – frozen or fresh
Mom’s Bolognese Sauce (about 2 + 1/2 qt.)
Parmigiano-Reggiano grated cheese
Mom’s Bolognese Sauce Recipe:
1/2 pound of chopped Veal
1/2 pound of chopped Beef
1 large onion – chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. (1/4 stick) butter
1 carrot – minced
1 celery stalk – minced
1/2 glass dry white wine
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
5 fresh basil leaves
salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepot, heat olive oil, and butter. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes, or until onion is translucent and golden color.
2. Then add in the celery and carrot and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Next, both kinds of meat and stir while cooking to combine. Continue to cook until all the meat is light brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Pour in the white wine. Lower heat and simmer until all the wine is absorbed.
5. Meanwhile, place the entire can of crushed tomatoes into a blender and puree them. Add the tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and 1 teaspoon of salt to the meat mixture. Season with some fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
6. Cover with a lid, and simmer for 40 minutes to one hour. Stir occasionally. The sauce should be thick. Taste the sauce for salt before serving, and adjust the salt, if needed.
7. Finally, boil water in a large pot. Add one teaspoon of salt to the water. Add Ravioli and cook according to the directions on the package. Strain into a colander. Spoon about 4 to 5 ravioli into each pasta bowls. Serve with some sauce on top. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top and enjoy!
Here’s a great tip for Freezing!
Before freezing or refrigerate, it’s best to allow the sauce to cool completely. Then store the sauce in air-tight containers to keep fresh (up to 3 days in the refrigerator, or one month in your freezer).
More Italian Comfort Food…
You might also enjoy our Moms Best Sunday Meatballs and our Braciole -Sicilian Style!
And, for a quick & easy pasta dish, try our Easy Cheese Ravioli with Pesto Sauce.
And, a few more Italian comfort food!