This Dark Chocolate & Strawberry Ice Cream Roll is a chocolate cake filled with strawberry ice cream then it’s rolled up, topped with chocolate icing and served frozen! This glorious frozen treat makes a wonderful impression and well worth the effort!
My good friend and neighbor Julie loves to bake, and made this festive Dark Chocolate & Strawberry Ice Cream Roll for her special Valentine’s cocktail party and invited me to come over to share her recipe and take photos.
If you have never made one, like me, then fear not! We have provided a step-by-step tutorial for this recipe.
….Well then, let’s get started!
How To Make Dark Chocolate & Strawberry Ice Cream Roll?
FIRST STEP: Line a 12 x 17 jelly-roll pan with wax or parchment paper and fit it to completely cover the bottom and go up the sides a little. Don’t worry if the paper doesn’t go up the sides.
Then drop about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil onto the paper and spread it using a paper towel or your fingers. Set it aside.
STEP 2: Next, prepare the cake batter. Here, she decided to use a cake box mix to speed up the process, beating the eggs first, then adding in dark chocolate cake mix with water, oil and some powdered sugar.
STEP 3: Pour only 3 and 1/2 cups of cake batter onto the jelly roll.
QUICK NOTE: There will be some cake batter leftover for you to use and bake some extra cupcakes for the kids (makes about 4 cupcakes). Follow the directions on the box for baking cupcakes.
Using a spatula to spread the batter evenly onto the prepared pan.
4th STEP: Bake for about 15 minutes.
MEANTIME: clear your counter, and lay down a clean kitchen towel.
Prepare the Cake to Roll:
1. Spread about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar onto the kitchen cloth, and spread it evenly with your hand to cover the surface.
2. When the cake is done, use a small knife to loosen the cake from the sides and edges of the pan and parchment paper.
3. Carefully invert the cake onto the prepared sugared towel and slowly peel off the paper.
4. Sprinkle the surface of the cake with two tablespoons of granulated sugar.
5. Then, starting from the narrow end of the towel, fold it over onto the cake and gently begin to roll the cake up in the towel. Not too tight.
6. Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
Prepare the Ice Cream…
- Meanwhile, remove 2 pints of ice cream from freezer and allow to thaw for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- NEXT: Scoop chunks of ice cream out and begin to spread a thin layer (about 1/2 -inch) of ice cream filling evenly over the cake leaving about 1/2 inch open at the end around the cake.
- BEGIN To: Re-roll the cake with filling slowly and fairly tight.
- Store in an airtight container with a lid or wrap with foil wrap and place it into your freezer.
- Keep frozen for at least a 1 hour before icing or frosting the top.
READY TO DECORATE…
When the cake is frozen, spread the top with icing and decorate with chocolate candies and freeze again until ready to serve.
Frozen ice cream rolls are so versatile, they can be filled with a variety of cream fillings and ice cream flavors.
Once frozen, they’re easy to spread with icing and decorate with candies, nuts, sprinkles or chocolate chips to create a festive look for any special occasion or holiday.
Dark Chocolate & Strawberry Ice Cream Roll is elegant, yet surprisingly easy to make, and makes a perfect dessert to serve for any special occasion.
It’s so much more fun baking and making desserts with friends.
My husband and I are blessed with good neighbors who become great friends! Thank you, Julie, for sharing your recipe with me and the rest of the world!
Wishing you and your families something sweet on Valentine’s Day!
…Thanks for Pinning!
Some Tips for Success!
We recommend to use a non-terry cloth towel, don’t want any lint to get all over the cake.
If you don’t have parchment paper, wax paper will work just fine.
Also, you can lightly spray the wax paper with cooking spray instead of spreading with oil.
Links to Items for this Ice Cream Roll Recipe:
MORE TASTY ICE CREAM RECIPES!
- Blackberry Chocolate Chip Gelato
- Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Pie
- Caffe Latte Ice Cream -Lightened!
- Tiramisu Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix (used Betty Crocker Super Moist)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and extra for jelly roll pan
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar, and extra for a towel
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream or gelato
- 1 jello roll pan (12 x 17 size) ( used Calphalon Jelly Pan )
- wax paper or parchment paper
- 1 clean kitchen towel
CHOCOLATE FROSTING FOR CAKE ROLL:
- 2 cup confectioners sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa (used Hershey's Cocoa)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Crisco / oleo
- some milk, if needed to spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12 x 17 jelly-roll pan with parchment or wax paper. Try to fit the paper to completely fit the bottom and goes up the sides of the pan. Drop 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over the paper and using your fingers to spread the oil evenly over the wax paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 6 eggs on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Then, pour in the chocolate cake mix, water, vegetable oil and add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, and then 1 minute on medium speed.
- Pour only 3 and 1/2 cups of cake batter onto the prepared jelly roll pan. Using a spatula to spread the batter to the edges of the jelly-roll pan. Use the remaining batter to bake cupcakes with, which will yield you 4 cupcakes.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes only. The cake should slightly spring back when you touched in the center. While the cake is baking, grab a clean rectangular kitchen towel and spread it out on a clean work surface. Scatter about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar over the clean towel and spread evenly using your hand.
- When the cake is done. Remove from the oven and place it on the counter. Take a small knife and slide the knife along the edges of the pan to loosen the cake from the pan and from the parchment paper.
- Then carefully flip the pan over onto the prepared kitchen towel. Slowly pull off the wax paper and discard it. Sprinkle the surface of the cake with two tablespoons of granulated sugar. Then starting with the narrow end of the towel, fold it over one side of the cake, and begin to roll the cake with the towel. Then place it onto a rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- When ready to fill the cake roll, take out the ice cream and allow it to soften on the counter, about 20 minutes or so. Slowly unroll the towel and spread with your favorite ice cream, leaving 1/2 inch open around the edges. Re-roll the cake again. Wrap the cake with foil wrap or place it into an airtight container with a lid with seam side on the bottom, and freeze for least 30 minutes before spreading the icing on top.
- Prepare the icing while the cake is freezing, whisking all the ingredients together until the texture is smooth and spreadable. When cake roll is frozen, spread the icing on top. Decorate with candies, nuts or sprinkles. Keep in the freezer until you are ready to serve. Before serving, allow the cake roll to thaw about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Yields: about 12 slices
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 15gCarbohydrates: 38.4gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 21.9gProtein: 6.1g
Are you baking with us? If you try our dark chocolate & strawberry ice cream roll recipe, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating in our recipe card! Snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest.
We’d love to see what you cook!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes “FREE” every time we post! Also, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
xo Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!