Light and fluffy, these Strawberry Chocolate Chip Waffles make the perfect breakfast-in-bed dish for your Valentine’s or any special occasion. Loaded with fresh strawberries and mini chocolate chips, these strawberry chocolate chip waffles are effortless to make. Best of all, it sends your loved ones a sweet message – I love you!
Last week, I made Light & Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Waffles and decided to try a new flavor for this coming week as Valentine’s Day is approaching. What better way is there to show some love first thing in the morning!
Filled with fresh strawberries and mini chocolate chips inside and on top, these strawberry chocolate chip waffles will do just that!
Delicious and sweet with every bite, they burst with both of our two favorite flavors – strawberry and chocolate.
So I thought why not combine them in waffles for breakfast… right?
Only 5 minutes to prep and it’s worth taking out your waffle iron and using it to make these scrumptious waffles. And what better way to show your love first thing in the morning with a special breakfast.
So let’s get started and make these Strawberry Chocolate Chip Waffles!
For this recipe, I used an organic Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle mix. It saved me some time from measuring all the dry ingredients. Then I added in only a handful of mashed strawberries along with 1 tablespoon of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, one egg, and some milk.
To Prep the Strawberries: simply mash a few strawberries with a fork and stir them into the batter.
1. Turn on your waffle iron, set the setting to medium-high, and spray lightly with cooking spray. Then pour about 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of the batter (depending on the size you prefer) and close the lid.
2. Then wait for your waffle iron to beep or ring. Waffles should be cooked until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Serve these strawberry chocolate chip waffles with sliced strawberries on top along with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips.
Try to give it your own flair! Personalize your waffles with your Valentine’s favorite toppings: maple syrup, powdered sugar, Nutella, peanut butter, strawberry jam, and maybe a little chocolate heart next to it! Make it special!!
…Don’t forget to Pin it to your Breakfast Board!
Looking for some ideas for possibly Valentine’s Dinner?
- 1 cup organic Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix ( I used Whole Foods, 365 brands)
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk ( or almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips - divided
- 5 to 8 fresh strawberries- hulled
- cooking spray for waffle iron
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium-high, and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, lightly mix buttermilk pancake/waffle mix, egg, vanilla extract, milk, and oil. Do not over-mix. Set it aside.
- Using a fork, mash 4 to 5 strawberries and toss them into the batter, including the juice. Here is where you can adjust and add in more strawberries if you like, but the consistency will change, and may need to be adjusted, adding in a little more buttermilk pancake mix into the batter.
- Then toss in one tablespoon of mini chocolate chips and give it stir to combine into the batter. Set it aside for a minute or two.
- When the waffle iron is ready, use a small ladle or a large spoon to pour some batter (about 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup) into the waffle iron and close the top, depending on the size desired.
- Wait for it to ring, or for the light to pop up for your attention that the waffle is ready!
- Remove and transfer to a serving plate. Then again, lightly spray with cooking spray the waffle iron each time you make a waffle, to prevent it from sticking.
- Top each waffle with sliced strawberries and sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips. Serve immediately. You can also serve with whipped cream and your favorite maple syrup.
- Serves 3 to 4 waffles
Juicy strawberries can make these waffles a little soggy if they are under cooked. So make sure you cook them to a golden crispy texture.
Also, keep in mind, If you decide to add in more strawberries into the batter, making the batter a little more thinner, add in some more pancake mix to get the right consistency.