Moist and delicious, this Easy Apple Cake has a soft tender apple filling coated with sugar and cinnamon that is perfect and not too sweet! Our mothers and grandmothers made simple cakes this way with staple ingredients we keep in our kitchens, including the apples.
For Memorial Day we wanted the all American traditional foods at our barbecue, hot dogs, hamburgers, along with steaks and all the cold salads as sides. And of course, everyone needs an apple pie as the final treat for our dessert.
But instead of making an apple pie, I decided to make an Easy Apple Cake that is light, moist and deeply delicious!
For this easy apple cake, I decided to make it with similar ingredients as an apple pie. Only difference? I decided to reduce the amount of sugar and butter, and added in some sour cream and half-and-half to make it moist, and giving it a pudding-like texture to this cake.
Also, I prefer Fuji apples with this cake because they’re sweet, very soft, and they bake very well. The results were great, giving this apple cake its delightful soft texture.
Can you can make this apple cake using your favorite apples? Sure! But keep in mind, it might slightly change the texture and flavor.
Easy Apple Cake is best served at room temperature. It makes the perfect treat with some coffee or tea in the morning. Best of all, no need to use a fork with this apple cake either, just a napkin will do!
I have to tell you, this apple cake turned out better than I had imagined, everyone raved about it! It was a delicious way to end a perfect Memorial day!
I think you will enjoy this one too! Give it a try!
Thanks for Pinning!!
If you love apple cakes? Then try our Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake!
Easy Apple Cake
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 13 servings
Moist and delicious, this Easy Apple Cake has a soft tender apple filling coated with sugar and cinnamon that is perfect and not too sweet! Perfect treat with any gathering and with your morning coffee!
- 3 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup white sugar, plus 2 Tbsp. more
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large size Fuji apples - divided
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1+ ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ⅔ cup Half-and-Half
- powdered sugar for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use 1 tablespoon of butter to butter a 10-inch spring form pan.
- Dust with graham cracker crumbs.
- In a small bowl, peel and core 1 apple. Slice into thin wedges place into the bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with a 2 tablespoons of white sugar and toss to coat the apples. Set aside.
- In a large bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat ½ stick of butter with remaining sugar and brown sugar. Add the egg and sour cream, blend until creamy.
- Beat in slowly the flour and baking powder. Reduce the speed, and slowly pour in the half-and-half. Blend until smooth.
- Peel and core the second apple and dice into small pieces. Then fold in diced apples into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Arrange the apple wedges along the outer edge of the pan and arrange a few slices in the center.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Center should be golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Sprinkle generously on top with powdered sugar.
- Yields: 13 servings