Moist and delicious, this Easy Apple Cake has a soft tender apple filling coated with sugar and cinnamon that is perfect and not too sweet! Our mothers and grandmothers made simple cakes like this one and used only staple ingredients in their kitchens, including the apples.
For Memorial Day we prefer all American traditional foods at our barbecue, like hot dogs, hamburgers, London Broil steak grilled along with a few pasta salads as sides.
And of course, everyone usually expects either an apple pie or even a blueberry crumble pie as the final treat for their dessert.
But instead of making any pie, I decided to make this Easy Apple Cake. And, I have to tell you – it turned out to be a huge hit!
This apple cake is very light, moist, and seriously delicious!
For this Easy Apple Cake Recipe…
I decided to make it with similar ingredients as an apple pie. The only difference is I decided to reduce the amount of sugar and butter.
Plus, I added into the mix some sour cream and half-and-half to make the filling not only moist but giving it a pudding-like texture. YUM!!
What kind of apples can we use?
I prefer to use Fuji apples with this cake because they’re sweet, very soft, and they bake very well. The results were great, giving this apple cake its delightful soft texture.
Can you make this apple cake using your favorite apples? Sure! But keep in mind, it might slightly change the texture and flavor.
This Easy Apple Cake is best served at room temperature. It makes the perfect treat with some coffee or tea in the morning.
Best of all, no need to use a fork with this apple cake either, just a napkin will do!
I have to tell you, this apple cake turned out better than I had expected. Everyone raved about it!
It was SO delicious, it was the perfect way to end a marvelous family gathering Memorial Day!
I think you will enjoy this recipe too! Give it a try!
…Thanks for Pinning!!
A few more recipes for apples!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar, plus 2 Tbsp. more
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large size Fuji apples - divided
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 4-ounces sour cream
- 1+ 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup Half-and-Half cream
- powdered sugar for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Use 1 tablespoon of butter to butter a 10-inch springform pan.
- Dust with graham cracker crumbs.
- In a small bowl, peel and core 1 apple. Slice into thin wedges places into the bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with 2 tablespoons of white sugar and toss to coat the apples. Set aside.
- In a large bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat 1/2 stick of butter with remaining sugar and brown sugar. Add the egg and sour cream, blend until creamy.
- Beat in slowly the flour and baking powder. Reduce the speed, and slowly pour in the half-and-half. Blend until smooth.
- Peel and core the second apple and dice it into small pieces. Then fold diced apples into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Arrange the apple wedges along the outer edge of the pan and arrange a few slices in the center.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The Center should be golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Sprinkle generously on top with powdered sugar.
- Yields: 13 servings
Yield:12 to 14 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 6.1gCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 18.5gProtein: 2.8g