Christmas Mistletoe Cocktail is a refreshing, light holiday spritzer or aperitif made with prosecco, seltzer, elderflower liqueur, mint leaves, and cranberries. It’s a lovely Christmas drink served with ice. This popular cocktail is commonly served in Northern Italy, and it is delightful to serve during the holidays!
Italian Cocktail or Aperitif…
This light Italian cocktail is also called a Hugo and it originated in South Tyrol, which sits on the Austrian border in Northern Italy.
Most restaurants and Hotels in Northern Italy will serve this aperitif in the afternoon or early evening before dinner.
A delightful drink, only we like to call this one our Christmas Mistletoe Cocktail. And it is perfect to serve family and guests during the Christmas season.
Ingredients Needed for Christmas Mistletoe Cocktail…
For this Italian Christmas Cocktail recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
1. Prosecco – this is an Italian sparkling wine, you can use any chilled prosecco for this recipe.
2. Seltzer or Sparkling Water – plain seltzer or sparkling water is needed for this recipe.
3. Elderflower Liqueur or Syrup – gives this drink its fragrant flavor that is refreshing. You can use either the liqueur or the syrup. The most popular brand of elderflower liqueur is St. Germain.
4. Fresh Mint – mint leaves are added and give a delightful scent and flavor to this drink.
5. Cranberries – a few fresh cranberries are added to each glass for a festive and pretty presentation.
6. Ice Cubes – are added to each glass to keep it chilled.
7. Optional: An Orange – one slice from a navel orange can be added to each glass for an additional splash of flavor and color.
Notes and Tips To Assemble…
- When making this spritzer, you can adjust the amount of each ingredient to your preference.
- Before you start, it’s a good idea to have all your liquid ingredients chilled beforehand.
- Stir together and serve over plenty of ice.
- You can make this drink using wine glasses or fluted ones.
- Add a slice of orange or lemon to each glass along with fresh mint leaves and a few cranberries to make it festive.
Additional Festive Cocktails…
- 1 bottle of chilled prosecco
- 1 bottle of chilled seltzer or sparkling water
- 4 to 6 Tbsp. of elderflower liqueur, plus extra as needed (divided)
- bunch of fresh mint leaves
- fresh cranberries
- Optional: 1 navel orange - sliced into thin wedges
- ice cubes
- Place 4 to 6 wine glasses (or as many as you need) on your counter.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon (or 1 capful) of elderflower liqueur into each glass.
- Next, fill each glass with 1/2 cup (or 1/2 full) of prosecco.
- Then pour 1/4 cup (or 1/4 amount) of seltzer or sparkling water.
- Lightly stir each glass.
- Toss in a few mint leaves and cranberries into each glass.
- Add lots of ice cubes and serve.
- Optional: add a thin slice of orange per glass.
Serves 4 to 6 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75
Thanks for Pinning!
Hello friends! If you try our Christmas Mistletoe Cocktail, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below! Sharing your experience and insights will not only help those who read them, but will help us too!
The recipe is adapted from my friend Chrissy. Thanks, Christine for sharing this recipe!
Don’t forget to Subscribe!! Get all our recipes “FREE” every time we post and reminders of great older ones too.
Have a wonderful Holiday!!
… and thanks for stopping by
xo anna and liz