Beet Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette over Creamy Ricotta~ a delicious plate made with a sweet and sour tasting beet salad that is tossed with a simple pomegranate vinaigrette and served over a bed of creamy ricotta and topped with crushed pistachios and broccoli sprouts. SO delicious!
The combination of different textures in every bite will definitely satisfy everyone’s palate. Perfect to serve as an appetizer or even as a side dish to any main course, this is one beet salad you will enjoy this summer!
Beets are not everyone’s thing. But when you boil or roast them and season them correctly, you get a delicious flavor from them. They’re even better when you marinate them with a sweet and sour vinaigrette made easily with a pomegranate flavored vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Maybe with this recipe, you’ll be able to persuade those who turn their heads from them to enjoy eating them.
There is a restaurant here on Sullivan’s Island called Obstinate Daughter, and one of their signature dishes on the menu is their roasted beets ricotta pistachio dish. I love ordering this dish every time we go there and I finally decided to try duplicating this beet salad at home.
I boiled my beets until they are tender, chopped and tossed them with simple pomegranate dressing, then allowed them to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or more.
I made the beet salad early in the morning, but you can even make it one day ahead, if you need to.
Then I took a cup of ricotta cheese and whisked it with a little extra virgin olive oil and spooned it onto a small plate. Seasoned it with a little salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Next, I spooned some some of the beet salad over the ricotta cream, topped it with some crushed pistachio nuts then garnished with a sprinkle of broccoli sprouts (for some healthy greens and color).
Broccoli sprouts are known to be one of the “super foods” and can be added into a variety of dishes. They are so healthy for us. They are best described as nature’s best source of Sulforaphane which supports our body’s long-lasting antioxidant and essential cellular function. You can buy the seeds on Amazon and grow them in about 3 days in your own home, or buy them fresh at your local grocery store. Seriously, I think we should be eating more broccoli spouts.
This beet salad over creamy ricotta turned out SO amazing, and it is very filling at the same time. There’s plenty on this small plate, enough to share among 2 or even 3 people. Its pretty and colorful presentation makes everyone drool over this dish, especially if they are fond of beets. A delicious idea to serve this summer.
Beet Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette over Creamy Ricotta
- 1 pound (small or medium size) fresh beets
- 2 Tbsp. pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese ( I used Galbani)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- crushed pistachio nuts
- a package of fresh broccoli sprouts
3. In a small bowl, whisk 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil with ricotta cheese until the ricotta is creamy and smooth. Taste, and season with a salt to taste. Spoon on a small plate and create a pie effect. Top with fresh cracked black pepper. Spoon beet salad into the ricotta cream circle and top with some crushed pistachio nuts. Garnish ricotta cream with broccoli sprouts on top and serve.Cooks Notes: You can make this beet salad ahead of time. You will definitely have plenty of beet salad leftover to serve on another day. No worries, beet salads stay fresh up to one week.
Serves 2 to 4