Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon are just that! These are the ultimate “melt-in-your-mouth” sweet potatoes that are peeled and cut then roasted with a glaze of honey and cinnamon flavor. So amazingly delicious, you may want to add these to your Thanksgiving table too!
Our menu always includes a few dishes that we can make ahead and even improve with time. The key is to avoid some of the kitchen chaos on holidays, especially on the morning of Thanksgiving. And with so many cooks in the kitchen trying to make dishes all at once, well things can get a little hairy!
We adore this recipe because of that reason, make ahead, then reheat them right before you serve and they will taste as if you just took them out of the oven that day.
A fabulous choice as a side dish for Thanksgiving as it will compliment your turkey or ham. And when your family and friends taste these sweet potatoes, they will absolutely ask for seconds, so make extra!
With years of practice, we noticed that the size of the potato will vary the time required to roast. If you use normal size sweet potatoes, which are the larger ones, you will need to cut them into thirds and slow roast them longer, sometimes even double the time.
But, this time around I wanted to try these small /petite sweet potatoes I found at Trader Joe’s. Their size is small, actually smaller than a small potato, but they were convenient; they cook in half the time, about 30 minutes.
As you roast sweet potatoes, the honey and cinnamon along with the butter will melt and slowly thicken to a glaze. Just use a spoon to scoop up some of the liquid and coat the potatoes from time to time while roasting. Sweet potatoes become buttery soft with the melt in your mouth quality!
Everyone will go bonkers over these!
This is an old family recipe we have been making for decades and we have to make it every year, or we will get some disappointing faces on Thanksgiving – for sure!
Try this recipe – you won’t be disappointed !!
Here are some Tips:
The roasting time will vary depending on the size and how thick you cut sweet potatoes. If you want to omit the Butter? Sure, you can make these without butter, just drizzle some olive oil over them, about 1 to 2 tablespoons should do the trick. If you plan to make them ahead, you can refrigerate overnight, then reheat them in a roasting or baking dish just before you serve. First, preheat oven to 350 degrees, and bake for about 15 minutes or so, until they are warm and heated through.
DON’T forget to PIN!! … and SHARE!! .. thanks again!
- 3 pounds organic sweet potatoes (the small ones)
- ground cinnamon
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. clover honey
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. butter- cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a 10 x 12 roasting pan, or 10 x 13.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes in halves, then quarters. Place them onto a roasting pan.
- Lightly sprinkle cinnamon over them, then drizzle some honey on top, and scatter pieces of butter.
- Roast in oven (on the middle rack) for the first 15 to 20 minutes. While roasting, the butter and honey will melt and form a glaze. After the first 15 or 20 minutes, open oven and carefully pull out the pan. Using a large spoon to scoop some liquid and coat the potatoes to create a glaze on top.
- You can turn them over once to coat both sides. And continue to roast for additional 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven when sweet potatoes are soft and tender.
- Serve 4 to 6