Crunchy Apple Cherry Pecan Crisp is a delicious casserole for an apple crisp, similar to an apple crumble only this one is made with a mixture of fresh chopped apples and frozen pitted dark cherries, topped with a buttery cinnamon oat and pecans topping. Serve it with vanilla ice cream, or with our homemade whipped cream and it’s a mouthwatering dessert.
What’s the Difference Between an Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble?
While an apple crisp and apple crumble are both desserts made with chopped fruit and a topping, one is slightly different than the other. Apple crisp is made with a streusel topping that contains oats and nuts, while an apple crumbles topping does not. In parts of the world, especially in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, the term ‘crumble’ refers to both desserts.
Regardless, this apple cherry pecan crisp is sweet, with a soft center and a crunchy buttery oatmeal pecan topping, and it is divine!
This recipe is very easy. It’s fantastic for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
How to Make this Apple Cherry Pecan Crisp?
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients to make this apple cherry pecan crisp:
- a package of frozen cherries: I found sweet dark pitted cherries in the freezer section. They came “whole” which I sliced each one in half to make them bite-size.
- medium-size apples: I used 2 apples, and prefer sweet apples over the tart ones. You can use fuji or delicious apples and chop them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- package of pecans: you will need to crush the pecans, but not make them powdery.
- pantry ingredients: sugar, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and vanilla extract.
- old fashioned oats: any old fashioned oats, but not instant.
- from your fridge: some unsalted butter and lemon juice.
Directions to make Apple Cherry Pecan Crisp: (*full recipe card below!)
- *NOTE: Use a 2-quart baking dish, or an 8 x 8 or an 8 x 10-inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (187C). Spray lightly your baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, toss together chopped apples and sliced cherries, along with granulated sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Set it aside and allow the sugar to work its magic, allowing the juice of the fruits to come through.
3. Next, transfer the fruit mixture to your 2-quart baking dish, and spread it evenly into one single layer.
4. In the meantime, to make the crisp topping, combine all the topping ingredients in one bowl and combine them using your fingers to make a crumble mixture. Continue to work with the mixture until all the dry flour has been worked in.
5. Scatter the crisp topping over the fruit evenly.
6. Bake in the middle of your oven for 45 to 50 minutes. The crumble should be golden brown and the fruit juices should be bubbling throughout.
7. Allow the crisp to rest and cool down for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or with our Homemade Whipped Cream and you’ll have an amazing dessert to delight your family and guests!
Can You Freeze Apple Cherry Casserole?
You can freeze this apple cherry pecan crisp casserole. You may freezer it unbaked and bake it right from the freezer, but with added baking time. Or allow the apple cherry casserole to cool completely after baking it and wrap it tightly before freezing. Thaw it out before reheating in the oven.
Apple Cherry Pecan Crisp is a comforting, and satisfying dessert. It is no wonder why everyone loves this treat and always comes back for more. Try this recipe, it’s a winner! 😉
Additional Easy Desserts and Treats…
- For the CRISP FILLING:
- 2 cups medium-size apples - chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (about 6 to 8 ounces) frozen sweet dark cherries - sliced in halves
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp.granulated sugar
- For the CRISP TOPPING:
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter - cold and cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour ( or GF flour)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (187C). Lightly spray your 2-quart or an 8 x 8 or 8 x 10-inch baking dish, set it aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss together chopped apples, sliced frozen cherries along with granulated sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Set it aside and allow the sugar to work its magic, allowing the juice of the fruits to come through.
- In the meantime, make the crisp topping. Combine all the topping ingredients in one bowl and use your fingers to combine the mixture into a crumble. Continue to work with the mixture until all the dry flour has been worked in.
- Next, transfer the fruit mixture to your 2-quart baking dish, and spread it evenly into one single layer.
- Scatter the crisp pecan topping over the fruit evenly.
- Bake in the middle of your oven for 45 to 50 minutes. The crumble should be golden brown and the fruit juices should be bubbling throughout.
- Allow the crisp to rest and cool down for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, or with fresh whipped cream.
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Thanks for PINNING!!
Any questions? Ask away! If you make this recipe for our Apple Cherry Pecan Crisp, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating on our recipe card! It helps everyone who reads them, and it helps us too.
Don’t forget to enter your email in our weekly ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get new recipes, every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!
Happy Baking! 🙂
…thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz