Light and fluffy with every bite, these Apple Cinnamon Pancakes are loaded with tiny pieces of apple and enough cinnamon flavor to make breakfast delicious. These pancakes capture the essence of fall and winter and when you top them with some butter and maple syrup – they become irresistible!
September always starts the apple season! Typically on the weekends, we make waffles or pancakes.
So this past weekend I decided to make some apple cinnamon pancakes for my husband.
But first, there is a little story behind these delicious pancakes:
For the first attempt to make this recipe I typically use a pancake mix as a short cut, but it turned out to be a terrible flop!
Too much cinnamon and too much apple in the mixture happened to not only ruin the flavor, but the pancake itself did not cook well either. Apparently, I used too much heat, causing them to be charred on the outside while the batter was undercooked on the inside. It was not good.
So I tried it again. This time. No box and No premix for these pancakes.
And they were just as easy!
Honeycrisp apples are my favorite! They are crisp, juicy, and distinctly sweet and perfect for these pancakes.
So with my second attempt, I actually decided to start from scratch and sifted my flour (for the first time) to see if it would make a difference in the texture of the pancake.
Plus, I reduced the amount of apple and cinnamon in my mixture, and added in milk along with half and half, to see if they would improve the flavor as well as the texture. And to my surprise, they did.
So let’s make pancakes!
APPLE CINNAMON PANCAKES INGREDIENTS:
To make these homemade apple cinnamon pancakes, you will need:
All-purpose flour: Unbleached four is preferred, or gluten-free flour.
Milk: Use whole milk or low-fat milk. Either will do.
Half and Half: A little cream in the batter makes it rich tasting.
Seasonings: Some salt, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon are essential.
Egg: Only 1 egg is needed.
Honeycrisp Apple: One small apple, minced into tiny pieces. And, you can use your favorite apple.
Vegetable or butter: Either one will do.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CINNAMON PANCAKES:
1. First, make the batter: Whisk all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Then set it aside for a few minutes.
2. Prepare your griddle or skillet: Heat your griddle or skillet with a little butter, then take a paper towel and carefully wipe most of the butter off. You only need to give a light coat.
3. Pour batter onto the hot surface: Cook pancakes until it creates bubbles before flipping them over. Then flip over to cook the other side.
4. Stack with 3 or 4 pancakes: Serve with butter, maple syrup, whipped cream, or any of your favorite toppings.
As you can see, my second attempt turned out to be a success! All the ingredients worked well together, and these apple cinnamon pancakes turned out great!
You can bet I will be making them again soon. Try this recipe!
…Don’t forget to Pin and Share!!
Apples and cinnamon go hand in hand, don’t you think? So here are a few more of our favorite apple and cinnamon recipes to inspire you!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Total Time 16 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour - sifted
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup of minced apple ( 1/2 of small Honeycrisp Apple)
- In a medium size mixing bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients (all the dry ingredients). Make a well in the center and add all the liquid ingredients: milk, vegetable oil, half and half, egg and minced apple.
- Whisk until well blended. The batter will be smooth and not too thick. Set is aside for a few minutes. In the meantime, clean up the counter and put things away.
- Next, on medium heat, heat your griddle or non-stick skillet for about 1 minute. Add a small piece of butter to it ( slice about 1/4 tablespoon). After it melts, take a sheet of paper towel and lightly wipe the butter around the skillet. Don't worry if it absorbs some of the butter.
- Use a medium size ice cream scoop, or a ladle to pour the batter onto the griddle in small batches to make medium size pancakes and pour as many as you can fit inside the pan without touching. You can make smaller pancake sizes, as desired.
- When pancake begins to bubble, wait until it's full of bubbles, about 1 minute. Use a flexible spatula and flip them over. Cook on the other side for an additional minute. Remove and transfer to a warm plate.
- Repeat making the pancakes until you finish the batter. Serve immediately.
- Serve with slice of butter of top and some maple syrup. You can toss some minced apple pieces on each plate or on top for some extra apple-sweetness!
- Yields: 8 medium size pancakes
Hello friends! Are you cooking or baking with us? If you try this delicious apple cinnamon pancake recipe, please let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below!
Snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest if you like. We’d love to see what you cook! You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Anna and Liz