Looking for a new kind of vegetable salad? Here is one we think you’ll love! Asparagus Salad is one fresh, feel-good recipe and nutritious salad! Loaded with fresh asparagus, fresh arugula, thinly sliced radishes, green onions and topped with a zesty tarragon lemon dressing. It’s flavorful, crunchy, low in calories and high in nutrients!
When entertaining we LOVE serving vegetable salads! They’re easy, delicious and can be made ahead of time. Some of our favorites are green beans and carrot salad -Italian style, and healthy apple bok choy salad just to mention a few.
So when I came across this asparagus salad on a menu at a local restaurant, I knew had to try it. Because it was SO good, inspired me to create my own version.
What makes this asparagus salad so delicious and flavorful?
It’s in the dressing! Tarragon lemon dressing is fresh tasting and gives a zesty and aromatic flavor to the greens. Lemon zest, vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, fresh tarragon, sugar and Dijon mustard is all you need to make this savory dressing. And, you don’t need a lot of it to flavor this salad.
Fresh tarragon is an herb that gives off a sweet and pungent flavor similar to anise, while lemon zest gives enough zesty flavors for these vegetables.
So a little amount goes a long way.
How to Make this Asparagus Salad?
First, make the fresh tarragon lemon dressing by zesting one lemon and combining it with all the rest of the ingredients and transfer to a small mason jar or an airtight container. Then chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes before using.
Then slice the radishes and green onions and set them aside.
Next, rinse and slice asparagus stalks on a diagonal into thirds or even into fourths. Quickly, heat some olive oil in a skillet and grill asparagus on stove-top for about 2 to 3 minutes, until they are tender and crunchy.
Now the salad is ready to be assembled!
Take a large serving platter, arrange a layer of fresh arugula, then sprinkle on top with green onions and sliced radishes. The radishes not only adds a pop of color, but they too, add in a lot of nutrients to this salad.
Then top with grilled asparagus. Take the dressing from the fridge, shake it well and drizzle some of the dressing (about 1/4 cup) over the entire salad and serve!
Need to keep an eye on the asparagus while cooking, they cook up quickly and you don’t want to end up with mushy stalks. Even when you turn off the heat, they continue to cook, so it’s best to remove them from heat, transfer to a plate.
You can marinate the asparagus separately and ahead of time. Then assemble the salad when you are ready to serve.
It’s best to serve this asparagus salad in a large serving platter. If you plan to serve it in a large salad bowl, toss in the dressing only minutes before serving.
Tarragon Lemon Dressing recipe yields about 1/2 cup. I only used 1/4 cup of the dressing for this salad. You won’t need to use a lot of dressing, since it has very powerful flavors. A small amount goes a long way!
If you plan to double this recipe, then you can use the entire 1/2 cup of the tarragon lemon dressing.
Store dressing in an small mason jar in the refrigerator, it will keep fresh for 3 days.
Vegetables Loaded with Health Benefits in Asparagus Salad:
Radishes: Low in calories, high in potassium, vitamin C, folate (folic acid) and fiber.
Arugula: Cancer fighting power-food, helps reduce inflammation in the body, cleanses and detoxifies, promotes bone health.
Asparagus: High in vitamin A, C , E and K, folate and fiber, also helps lower blood pressure, improves digestion, and its low in calories.
Green Onions: High in vitamin A, K and C, regulate blood sugar, anti-inflammatory, support immune health.
Lemon Zest: Contains vitamins, minerals and fiber, like calcium, potassium, and vitamin C andhelps fights cancer.
Fresh Tarragon: Helps improve digestion, also improves sleep and fights bacteria.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Antioxidants and healthy fats, helps reduce heart disease, and lowers your risk to Type 2 diabetes.
Healthy, crunchy, fresh tasting and loaded with so much goodness with lots of flavors and lots of textures gives all the more reasons to try this asparagus salad!
Served at room temperature or chilled, this healthy asparagus salad can be made ahead of time and assembled just before serving.
Perfect vegetable salad to serve for lunch, brunch or as a side dish at dinner. A great way to get your family to eating more healthy vegetables and this asparagus salad is one dish your whole family will love!
Thanks for Pinning!
Need more recipes for Asparagus? Try these:
Recipe type: Vegetable Salad
Loaded with fresh asparagus, fresh arugula, thinly sliced radishes, green onions and topped with a zesty tarragon lemon dressing. It's flavorful, crunchy, low in calories and high in nutrients! And, it's ready in 20 minutes from start to finish!
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of thin or medium size asparagus
- 3 handfuls of arugula, or more
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 3 to 4 radishes- finely sliced
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- fresh or dried dill, as garnish
Tarragon Lemon Dressing:
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. freshly chopped tarragon
- ¼ tsp. Dijon mustard
- pinch of sugar
- 4 Tsbp. tarragon vinegar or white balsamic
- 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- First, trim the ends of each asparagus stalks, and take each spear (taking a few at a time) and cut on a diagonal into thirds. Give them a good rinse and drain in a colander. Set aside.
- In a medium size skillet, heat oil and add the asparagus on medium heat, and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Asparagus should be tender when pierced with the tip of a knife or fork. Turn off heat and transfer the asparagus to a plate. Season with a little salt and black pepper. Now your ready to make the salad.
Prepare the salad:
- In a large serving platter, lay a generous amount of arugula, as the bottom layer. Spinkle over the arugula with green onions and sliced radishes.
- Then arrange the grilled asparagus over the arugula bed. Drizzle on top with some tarragon lemon dressing, about 4 tablespoons.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of dried or fresh chopped dill on top.
- And serve.
Make the Tarragon Lemon Dressing:
- Combine the lemon zest, fresh tarragon, Dijon mustard, sugar and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Stir to mix, then whisk in the olive oil.
- Taste, and season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Pour into a small masion jar. And chill. Shake well to combine before drizzling over the salad.
- When asparagus is ready to serve. Using a spoon to drizzle some tarragon lemon dressing over the asparagus salad, about 4 to 5 tablespoons. Reserve the remaining tarragon lemon dressing for another salad.
- Serves 4