Cantaloupe Blackberry Greens Salad
Cantaloupe Blackberry Greens Salad is made with a mix of healthy greens, sweet cantaloupe melon, blackberries, cherry tomatoes, and feta cheese (optional). A simple salad with the perfect combination of sweet and savory, and it is divine! This delicious salad is an ideal side to serve at lunch or dinner.
Cantaloupe melon is available all summer long, along with fresh blackberries. Both are sweet, juicy, and loaded with tons of nutrients—all the more reason to add them to our salads.
Summertime is ideal to include seasonal fruits in our meals. We often serve our sweet melon with prosciutto di parma as an appetizer or a side for an afternoon luncheon. Plus, enjoy making our blackberry lemon crumble bars from time to time.
For this salad recipe, all you need is a handful of fresh ingredients and the rest is easy.
Simple Ingredients & Benefits for Cantaloupe Blackberry Greens Salad...
1. Cantaloupe Melon:
- Is loaded with vitamins C, A, beta-carotene, folate, water, fiber, and potassium.
- The fiber, potassium, and vitamins A and C present in cantaloupe are vital nutrients for your heart health and immune system.
- It can help to lower high blood pressure, which is a risk factor for heart disease.
2. Baby Arugula:
- Arugula is loaded with: calcium, potassium, folate, and vitamins B, C, and K.
- It is full of antioxidants and compounds that can protect against or reverse damage to your cells.
3. Baby Spinach:
- The amount of potassium is good for heart health. It too will lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- The nitrates in baby spinach also help to keep your blood pressure under control, which also helps improve heart health.
- Blackberries are a rich source of anthocyanins and contain powerful antioxidants.
- They’re high in fiber and packed with vitamin C. (1 cup = 30.2 milligrams of vitamin C)
- Great source of vitamin K, and high in manganese.
- Blackberries are also considered a “superfood” and can help boost brain health.
5. Cherry Tomatoes:
- Cherry tomatoes are rich in micronutrients. They tend to be a great source of vitamins A, C, and E, as well as B vitamins and folate.
- They’re sweet and juicy, adding additional flavor to this healthy salad.
6. Feta Cheese: (optional)
- Contains more calcium than many other kinds of cheese to help maintain healthy teeth and bones.
- It contains a fatty acid called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) to help weight management.
- And, fermented foods like feta cheese contain probiotics for gut health.
7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
- Loaded with antioxidants.
- Helps protect against inflammation, heart disease, breast cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
8. Balsamic Vinegar of Modena:
- Loaded with antioxidants and contains antimicrobial compounds, and acetic acid.
- Helps reduce blood sugar and lowers cholesterol.
- Promoting healthy digestion, and helps reduce hypertension.
QUESTIONS and ANSWERS…
1. How to pick out a cantaloupe melon?
- The melon should feel firm and the skin is hard on the outside.
- It should not have any large bruises or discolored areas.
- Take a sniff, and it should smell sweet, or has no scent at all.
- No visible mold on the skin.
2. What is the difference between balsamic vinegar and balsamic vinegar of Modena?
Balsamic Vinegar of Modena is made with organic wine vinegar and organic cooked grape of Modena. It is thicker, as it contains more grape must than wine vinegar. It’s not watered down, like other brands. The uniquely sweet and sour taste is incomparable and makes it a sought-after addition to anyone’s pantry.
3. Can we use other greens in this salad?
Yes, you can. This salad is easily adaptable, and you can use your favorite leafy greens.
4. Can we make this salad ahead?
Yes, but only prep this salad, do not add the dressing until you are ready to serve it. Just cover with clear wrap, and keep it chilled. Then before you serve it, you can add olive oil, balsamic, and seasonings. This will prevent the “fresh greens” from getting mushy, and the melon from changing color.
Notes & Tips for Success…
- It’s best to drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad when you are ready to serve it.
- It is a good idea to chill the melon before cutting it open.
- Also, when serving, reserve some of the berries, cubes of melon, and feta to top the salad after you tossed it. This will give the salad its colorful and lovely presentation.
- This salad is very adaptable, you can add as little or as much cantaloupe melon and feta cheese to your liking.
- You can also increase the size of this salad or make it smaller, for the number of servings needed.
- The Greek feta cheese comes in a block, (7 ounces, or 200 grams), and used only half of it, about 3.5 ounces (100 grams) for this recipe.
Additional Options For This Salad…
- add some cubes of watermelon along with cantaloupe
- toss in some thinly sliced sweet onion
- add some walnuts or pecans for some crunch
Overall, this Cantaloupe Blackberry Greens Salad is wonderful!
Besides, it will bring something fruity, seasonal, and fabulous tasting to your table. It has the perfect balance of sweet, peppery, and tartness.
The saltiness of the feta mingles very nicely with the peppery arugula. Combining them with the sweetness of the melon and blackberries, this salad is a winner!
Simple, easy, and a definite crowd pleaser!
All the flavors will burst in your mouth. It won’t disappoint.
Try it and let us know how you like it!
Thanks for PINNING!
Additional Recipes for Healthy Salads…
- Arugula Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
- Peach Salad with Prosciutto and Burrata
- Baby Arugula Watermelon Granola Salad
- Easy Italian Tomato Salad (Marinated!)
Cantaloupe Blackberry Greens Salad
Cantaloupe Blackberry Greens Salad is made with a mix of healthy greens, sweet cantaloupe melon, blackberries, cherry tomatoes, and feta cheese (optional). This is a simple salad with the perfect combination of sweet and savory, and it is divine!
- 1 to 1.5 cups of cubed cantaloupe melon (about 2 wedges)
- 5-ounce package of organic baby arugula
- 5-ounce package of organic baby spinach
- 3-ounces (about 100grams) Greek Feta block - cubed
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - sliced in halves
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar of Modena
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- No salt needed
- sprinkle of dried parsley, as garnish
- First, place the mix of arugula and spinach in a large salad bowl. Toss them to mix them up.
- Scatter on top with cubes of cantaloupe, fresh blackberries, cubes of feta cheese, and cherry tomatoes.
- Combine the olive oil and vinegar, and drizzle over the entire salad. Add some fresh cracked black pepper and dried parsley flakes, toss to combine, and taste.
- Serve immediately.
If you plan to make this salad ahead of time, you can ( but without the vinaigrette). Cover with clear wrap and keep it chilled.
When you are ready to serve, make the dressing and pour it over the entire salad, give it a toss and serve.
After you toss all the ingredients, taste the salad and adjust the dressing to your taste.
Serves about 5 to 6 servings
Yield:5 to 6 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 3gCarbohydrates: 7.8gFiber: 2.2gSugar: 5.7gProtein: 3.1g
If you try our Cantaloupe Blackberry Greens Salad, let us know and leave a comment below! We’d love to hear from you! It helps everyone who reads them, and it helps us too.
Subscribe to 2 Sisters Recipes! Enter your email in our “Subscribe Box” and never miss a recipe! Get our recipes “FREE” every time we post a new recipe, plus reminders of great older ones too!
For more delicious ideas, follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter!
thanks for stopping by…
Happy and Healthy Lifestyle! 🙂
xo anna and liz
this looks so fresh and tasty. must make when summer hits us in a few months. i love cantaloupe tho they call it rockmelon here in Queensland.
Hi Sherry! thanks so much. This salad is not only refreshing but easy to pull off too! ENJOY!!