Sweet Melon with Prosciutto di Parma serves as a refreshing appetizer or snack during these warm days of summer. Juicy slices of ripe cantaloupe with a layer of prosciutto di Parma on top will create the savory combo of sweet and salty. This simple 2-ingredient dish will wow everyone you serve it to.
Sweet Melon with Prosciutto…
If you travel to Italy, you will commonly see on most trattoria menus “prosciutto e melone” which is prosciutto with cantaloupe. It is commonly served during warm weather.
When you combine the sweetness of cantaloupe melon with the saltiness of an Italian cured meat, such as prosciutto, it gives this dish its sensational flavors.
Plus, it is a beautiful and elegant presentation with its pale-orange, pinkish-purple spring-like colors.
Reasons to LOVE this Sweet Melon with Prosciutto recipe…
- It’s low-calorie and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- Plus, when you make it into an appetizer such as this one, it is a healthy way to start any meal.
- Best of all, the ease of preparation and it looks beautiful on your buffet table.
- Best of all, no cooking nor baking is required!
Just make a large platter, place it on your table and let everyone help themselves.
Best served chilled!
(*Full recipe card below!)
How To Make Sweet Melon with Prosciutto di Parma?
For this simple recipe, you will only need these 2 ingredients:
- 2 fresh Cantaloupes – ripe (must be chilled ahead of time)
- 1/4 pound Prosciutto di Parma – thinly sliced
Directions for Melon with Prosciutto:
1. Cut cantaloupes into halves. Scoop out and discard seeds.
2. Then cut into slices, gently remove skins from each slice. Transfer melon slices to a large serving platter.
3. Lay one or two slices of prosciutto on top of each slice.
4. Serve immediately, or set the platter aside in a cool place, up to 10 minutes before serving. Or, cover with clear wrap and refrigerate up to 1 hour before serving. Serves 12 to 15
NOTES and TIPS FOR SUCCESS!
- Before getting started, it’s best to chill your ripe melons at least one hour or more before slicing. You want the melons to be “super-cold” before wrapping or layering the prosciutto over each slice.
- The prosciutto di Parma should be freshly sliced and well chilled.
- You can either wrap every slice of cantaloupe or lay the slices (and even overlap) of prosciutto over the center of each slice.
- This dish is best served the day it’s prepared. And it’s best to serve within the hour you prepare it. Just cover with clear wrap and keep it chilled until ready to serve.
Questions and Answers...
1. Can we leave the skins on?
Yes, you may. It’s best to serve it with a fork and knife at the table.
2. Can We Use Honeydew Melon in Place of Cantalope?
Yes, indeed! Honeydew melon, also known as the “green melon” would also work very well, as long as the honeydew is ripe (but not too ripe) and chilled before slicing and serving.
3. How Long will the Melon and Prosciutto Stay Fresh? It is best to serve it the day it is prepared. If any leftovers, the prosciutto can be removed and stored in a sealed container and chilled for up to 2 days. The wedges of melon can be stored in a container and kept chilled, for up to 3 days.
Cantaloupe is in full season! And it’s always refreshing no matter how you serve it.
This recipe is couldn’t be any easier. It is simple, elegant, and TOTALLY DELICIOUS!! … it’s a win-win for everyone!
… Thanks for Pinning!
Finally, MORE TASTY SUMMER IDEAS!
- Cold Honeydew Soup
- Watermelon Kiwi and Plum Cake
- Burrata Caprese Crostini Bites
- Healthy Cucumber Appetizer Bites
- Baby Arugula Watermelon Granola Salad
- Cold Spinach Dip
- 2 medium-size Cantaloupes - chilled before slicing, then slice into wedges
- 1/4 pound, thinly sliced Prosciutto di Parma
- Cut cantaloupes into halves. Then scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Next, cut into wedges, and gently remove skins from each slice.
- Transfer melon slices to a large serving platter.
- Lay one or two slices of prosciutto on top of each slice. Here is where you can overlap the prosciutto on top.
- Serve immediately, or set platter aside in a cool place, up to 10 minutes before serving.
- OR, cover with clear wrap and refrigerate up to 30 minutes before serving.
- Yields: many servings
It is important the melons are chilled before slicing and serving. This will ensure to keep the prosciutto freshly chilled while sitting on each wedge, keeping them from discoloring.
Yield:12 to 16 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 39hoTotal Fat: .6gCarbohydrates: 6.6gFiber: .7gSugar: 6.2gProtein: 2.4g