Sweet Melon with Prosciutto di Parma serves as a refreshing appetizer or snack during these warm days of summer. One bite of juicy cantaloupe melon slices with a layer of prosciutto di Parma on top along with the savory combo of sweet and salty make this simple 2-ingredient dish something special.
When you combine the sweetness of cantaloupe melon with some saltiness of an Italian cured meat, such as prosciutto, it gives this dish its sensational flavors, as well as its beautiful elegance of pale-orange, pinkish-purple spring-like colors.
Cantaloupe is in full season! And it’s always refreshing no matter how you serve it.
It’s low calorie and loaded with vitamins and minerals, and when you make it into an appetizer such as this one, it is a healthy way to start any meal.
We enjoy serving sweet melon with prosciutto di Parma at gatherings because of the ease of preparation and it looks beautiful on the buffet table.
Best of all, no cooking nor baking is required!
Just make a large platter, serve it chilled and let everyone help themselves.
Simple, easy to make, and TOTALLY DELICIOUS!! … it’s a win-win for everyone!
*Our full recipe card below!
What You Need For Sweet Melon with Prosciutto di Parma:
2 fresh Cantaloupes – ripe
1/4 pound Prosciutto di Parma – thinly sliced
1. Cut cantaloupes into halves. Scoop out and discard seeds.
2. Then cut into slices, gently remove skins from each slice. Transfer melon slices to a large serving platter.
3. Lay one or two slices of prosciutto on top of each slice.
4. Serve immediately, or set platter aside in a cool place, up to 10 minutes before serving. Or, cover with clear wrap and refrigerate up to 1 hour before serving. Serves 12 to 15
NOTES and TIPS FOR SUCCESS!
Before getting started, it’s always best to chill your ripe melons at least one hour or more before slicing. You want the melons to be super-cold before wrapping or layering the prosciutto over each slice.
The prosciutto di Parma should be freshly sliced and well chilled.
You can either wrap every slice of cantaloupe or lay the slices of prosciutto over the center of each slice.
This dish is best served the day it’s prepared. And it’s best to serve within the hour you prepare it. Just cover with clear wrap and keep it chilled until ready to serve.
With only 2 ingredients required, makes this dish perfect for entertaining!
Can We Use Honeydew Melon Instead of the Cantalope Melon?
Yes, indeed! Honeydew melon, also known as the “green melon” would also work very well, as long as the honeydew is ripe (but not too ripe) and chilled before sliced.
… Thanks for Pinning!
Finally, MORE TASTY SUMMER IDEAS!
Prep Time 12 minutes
Total Time 12 minutes
- 2 fresh Cantaloupes - ripe
- 1/4 pound, thinly sliced Prosciutto di Parma
- Cut cantaloupes into halves. Scoop out and discard seeds.
- Then cut into slices, gently remove skins from each slice.
- Transfer melon slices to a large serving platter.
- Lay one or two slices of prosciutto on top of each slice.
- Serve immediately, or set platter aside in a cool place, up to 20 minutes before serving.
- Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate up to 1 hour before serving.
- Yields: many servings