Satisfy your sweet tooth with this Double Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread! It’s loaded with semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, some warm spices and enough pumpkin puree to give its beautiful color, fluffy-moist texture and decadent flavors. Perfect indulgence for breakfast or a brunch; and it won’t disappoint!
This is a true and tried recipe and has been in our family for over 25 years or more.
One of our favorite things about homemade double chocolate chip pumpkin bread is the way the subtle flavor of the pumpkin is perfectly complemented by the warm spices and chocolate.
What makes this pumpkin bread so good?
This recipe requires 2 cups of pumpkin puree (not pie filling), which offers more fiber, protein and vitamins in every slice! Plus, it yields 2 to 3 loaves, which is plenty to serve a crowd, or give someone you love a fall food gift. 🙂
Best part? Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!! Who doesn’t like chocolate? This double chocolate chip pumpkin bread defines decadence all-the-way!
Chocolate chips inside and on top with a layer of chocolate ganache gives you delicious results!
Simple to make! You only need ONE large bowl and a good whisk (or wooden spoon) to whip this up and it comes together in 10 minutes! Perfect for easy cleanup!
Needless to say, the flavor of pumpkin is very subtle in this bread and not overpowering. But, what I love most is it has this moist, fluffy texture and semi-sweet chocolate chips throughout, making this bread one of the best tasting pumpkin breads out there!
Best of all, as soon as these breads come out of the oven, the smell of pumpkin is not only dreamy – it’s mouthwatering!!
Don’t be surprised if everyone requests a second piece!
Ingredients For Double Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread:
To make this double chocolate chip pumpkin bread, you will need:
Flour: use all purpose (unbleached) flour.
Light Brown Sugar: you may use dark brown sugar, either one if fine.
Sugar: 1/2 cup only.
Other dry ingredients: salt, baking soda and baking powder.
Spices: to build flavor, we added in ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
Eggs: only 2 eggs is needed.
Pumpkin Puree: one 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree and not pie filling.
Butter: you will need 1 and half sticks of unsweetened butter melted.
Water: room temperature water is best.
Mini Chocolate Chips: one package of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, is preferred.
To Make This Pumpkin Bread:
To make this double chocolate chip pumpkin bread, simply:
1. First, prepare 2 bread pans ( size 9 x 4) or 3 (8 x 3) pans. Spray with cooking spray on bottom and all sides. Then dust with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in ONE large bowl. Then make a “well” in the center of the bowl and add all the wet ingredients and mix the batter until well combined and smooth.
3. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F (180 C). When toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven, and allow them to cool for a few minutes. Gently turn breads over to remove from pans. Set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave. Frost the tops of each bread with melted chocolate, then top with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is such a delicious bread. With its rich color of Amber throughout and its luxurious flavors, it’s even addicting.
So go ahead and enjoy a slice of this double chocolate chip pumpkin bread with a cup of coffee or tea and satisfy that sweet tooth craving!
A few more yummy fall breads for you!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- 3 +1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups light brown sugar ( packed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground cloves
- 3/4 cup sweet butter (1 + half sticks)- melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- olive oil cooking spray
For Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees C).
- Spray the bottom and sides of 2 (9 x 5) bread baking pans, or 3 (8 x 3) bread baking pans with cooking oil. Then dust the bottom and sides of each pan with some sugar and cinnamon, about 2 to 3 tablespoons of sugar combined with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon,(or more if needed) and dust each pan on bottom and all the sides. If you prefer, you can line each loaf pan with parchment paper. Set them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Then make a "well" in the center of the dry ingredients and add pumpkin puree, eggs, water and melted butter. Mix well with a large spoon or whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Next, stir in the mini semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter evenly between the baking pans.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the center for 8 x 3 baking pans. If you use plan to use 9 x 3 baking pans, you will need more baking time, ( bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Then remove the breads from pans and allow them to cool completely before frosting them.
Make the Chocolate Ganache:
- In a small double boiler, heat 1 tablespoon of heavy cream for 1 minute, then add the chocolate chips. Stir the chips until they melt and remove from heat.
- Allow the ganache to cool for about 2 minutes. Then spread ganache on pumpkin breads and sprinkle on top with mini chocolate chips. Store the breads in a large container.
- Yields: 10 to 12 slices per loaf
- Makes: 2 (9 x 5), or 3 (8 x 3) loaves