Low-Fat Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Bread is super moist, delicious tasting and it will melt in your mouth with every bite! I know it’s February and if you know me, then you know about my fetish of making homemade pumpkin puree after Halloween so I can continue to make pumpkin desserts all winter long. This low-fat pumpkin spice bread is made with whole wheat flour, smart balance butter, and homemade pumpkin puree.
Lately, I have been reading about how some substitutions and little changes can actually help in lowering the fat and cholesterol when baking or cooking.
With that said, this whole wheat pumpkin spice bread turned out to be lower in fat and lower in cholesterol, just by changing up a few ingredients.
And to my surprise, it still maintained its moistness and lovely warm spice flavors we all adore! So yummy!
So I took our recipe for Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Icing and opt-out the butter to cut the fat and cholesterol.
And, replaced it with non-hydrogenated butter, like Smart Balance, and swapped out white flour for organic whole wheat flour instead.
Plus, I decided to make it even healthier using my fresh homemade pumpkin puree.
I took my pumpkin spice bread that same morning at a gathering for friends to try. They loved it! And gave it a thumbs up!
Low-Fat Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Bread turned out fantastic!
I bet your family and friends will love the flavor along with its moist texture in this bread.
This recipe will make 3 loaves, so you can share with family and friends, or freeze some.
It’s easy to make and perfect to serve at breakfast, or as an afternoon snack with some milk, tea, or coffee.
Try making them into low-fat whole wheat pumpkin spice muffins, just by baking with a muffin pan. Bake muffins for 20 to 25 minutes. The kids will love them too!
Enjoy them with some powdered sugar or with some sweet icing on top for a more delicious flavor!
More Delicious Recipes to Try!
- 3 + 1/2 cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup melted Smart Balance Butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the center and add pumpkin puree, eggs, water, and melted non-hydrogenated butter. Mix well until completely combined and smooth.
- Spray with cooking spray three 8 x 3 bread pans, and dust with sugar and cinnamon (or flour).
- Pour the batter evenly between the three baking pans. Lightly sprinkle on top with some sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the bread pans and tightly wrap the loaves of bread with clear wrap while the bread is still warm. Refrigerate or freeze.
- Yields: 3 loaves
That’s it friends!
Come along and enter your email address and “Subscribe,” and get our recipes FREE every time we post!
And, if you make our low-fat whole wheat pumpkin spice bread, let us know and leave a comment and star rating in our recipe card above! We’d love to hear from you!
So stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter for all the latest updates.
Stay Healthy … and Happy Baking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!