Learn How to Make Fresh Pumpkin Puree! Fresh homemade pumpkin puree is a simple process of baking the pumpkin, removing the flesh, then pureeing it with a blender instead of mashing (like we do with potatoes). It’s so easy! And it tastes so much better!
Making Fresh Pumpkin Puree…
Hi friends, if you have never made fresh homemade pumpkin puree, you’re in for a treat! Today we’ll show you how to make homemade pumpkin puree with easy tips, including our favorite recipes to enjoy!
Which Pumpkins are Best to Make Fresh Pumpkin Puree…
When it comes to making fresh pumpkin puree, we prefer to use the small pumpkins.
If you haven’t purchased any of the smaller pumpkins yet, now would be a good time.
Keep in mind, if you have the larger pumpkins, we have great tips for those too!
Regardless of which size pumpkin you choose, once you taste the difference with baked goods using your homemade pumpkin puree, you’ll never go back.
But the smaller pumpkins are easier to use when making fresh pumpkin puree.
You can cut into them, and pull the seeds out. They are much easier than the very large pumpkins.
Plus, you can enjoy saving the seeds from the pumpkins for snacking; just give them a good rinse, and roast them.
We’ll show you how easy it is to make fresh pumpkin puree so you can make it every year!
So now is that time of year when we can actually make fresh pumpkin puree and use it in so many recipes, scrumptious desserts, muffins, pies, waffles, and cakes.
Instead of serving popcorn for a snack, why not try roasting pumpkin seeds! They make a great and healthy snack for kids, and for us too!
Also, you can use some of your homemade fresh pumpkin puree with our most popular recipe, our Easy Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls.
Add some pumpkin to soups! So many possibilities, it’s endless!
Even after Halloween, we never throw out the pumpkins, except the ones that were used to carve out Jack o’ Lanterns for Halloween.
Those are no good, and should be thrown out.
Making fresh pumpkin puree can be a fun project to do with the kids! This recipe it will give you enough pumpkin puree to last all winter long!
Best of all! 1 cup (245 grams) only contains 49 calories, 0 fat, 3 grams of fiber, and 2 grams of protein. Plus, it’s high in nutrients and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
*Full recipe card below!
How to Make Fresh Pumpkin Puree`
You can buy any small pumpkins and as many as you like. They are easier to cut into, and remove the seeds and bake!
1 small pumpkin – about 6 x 6 inches
deep baking dish
Directions to Make Pumpkin Puree:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C).
2. Cut the small pumpkin into quarters. Discard the stem. Using a spoon and scoop out the seeds and place them aside.
3. In a deep baking dish, place the quarters with the skins down. Pour enough water to fill about 1/2 to 1-inch deep. Cover with foil wrap.
4. Bake for 1 hour. Or until the flesh is softened, when you touch it with a fork.
5. Using a large spoon, scoop the flesh from the skins and place directly into a blender or food processor. Discard the skins.
6. Puree the pumpkin to a smooth texture. Store in airtight containers, or zip-lock bags and freeze. Freeze up to one year.
Yields: about 3 cups
You will notice a difference in flavor from using fresh homemade pumpkin puree with your recipes.
The flavor of pumpkin is much lighter, and not overpowering.
Notes and Great Tips for Success…
Pumpkins can be baked, whole, in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until their outer skin softens enough to cut through.
Make room for the larger pumpkins by removing some of the racks.
You can also place smaller pumpkins in the microwave for a few minutes to soften the skin enough to cut it.
Then cut the pumpkin into pieces and follow the directions below.
Pumpkin puree will stay fresh, chilled in the fridge for up to 3 days. They freeze well, for up to three months
What if we cannot make pumpkin puree?
Keep in mind, if you cannot make it fresh, then we recommend looking for the “organic” brand of pure pumpkin located at your local supermarket.
There are two brands we highly recommend looking for: Libby’s Pure Pumpkin and Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin. You can easily click on the links and amazon will conveniently ship directly to your door.
TO STORE and FREEZE:
Measure 1 or 2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree, then place them into quart-size zip-lock bags and lay them flat so they will fit well in your freezer.
It’s a good idea to label each bag with the amount and date for future baking. Then enjoy using your fresh pumpkin puree in all your recipes, all season long!
Don’t forget to PIN and SHARE!!
Recipes to Use Homemade Pumpkin Puree:
- 1 small pumpkin - about 6 x 6 inches
- some water
- deep baking dish
- foil wrap
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Cut Pumpkin into quarters. Discard the stem. Using a spoon or fork to scoop out the seeds and place them aside.
- In a deep baking dish, place the quarters with the skins down.
- Pour enough water to fill about 1/2 to 1-inch deep.
- Cover with foil wrap.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Allow the pumpkins to cool.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the flesh from the skins and place directly into a blender or food processor. Discard the skins.
- Puree`the pumpkin to a smooth texture.
- Store in air tight containers, or zip-lock bags and freeze.
- Freeze up to one year.
- Yields: about 3 to 4 cups
Serving Size:1 cup (245 grams)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: .0gFiber: 3gProtein: 2g
Any questions? Ask away!
For more delicious pumpkin ideas, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Get all the latest updates! Enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes FREE every time we post a new recipe and reminders of great older ones.
HAPPY Cooking and Baking!! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!