Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style! This simple Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style is made with browned crumbled sausages, store-bought stuffing, pecorino cheese, fresh herbs, golden raisins, onions, and extra virgin olive oil. Simple, easy to make and so delicious!
Every year my Sicilian husband makes his famous stuffing for Thanksgiving and it’s our favorite side served with our turkey, and oh boy, how everyone looks forward to it year after year. Best of all, our Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style can be made ahead and refrigerated up to 2 days, until you are ready to bake! Perfect!!
No need to cut your own bread into cubes, using one bag of classic store bought stuffing mix makes this Thanksgiving stuffing come together in minutes.
The only thing you will need to do to prep his easy stuffing is to brown the crumbled sausage in a non-stick skillet, and chop 2 onions and add it into the stuffing mixture.
Italian sweet pork sausage is what my husband prefers. If you can find it already crumbled, great! If you can’t? Then buy the sausage links and open the casings to crumble them.
Fresh herbs, golden raisins, sausages and pecorino cheese makes a tasty combination in this stuffing. These simple ingredients give this Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style its robust flavors! It was the way his mom always made her stuffing, and she always made her stuffing outside the bird.
COOK NOTES for STUFFING:
For this recipe, you can either use the crumbled mix stuffing (as I have used here) or use the cube stuffing mix.
Mixing all the ingredients in this stuffing mixture thoroughly is very important.
Cover with foil wrap. Bake for one hour at 325 F degrees will brown the stuffing without drying it out.
We used 1 package of Herb Seasoned Classic Stuffing. If you decide to use Unseasoned Classic Stuffing, you will need to adjust the seasonings to your liking.
You can make the stuffing up to 2 days ahead. Cover with foil wrap and refrigerate. Always remember to take it out and leave it on the counter for at least 1 hour before baking in the oven.
Whether your holiday menu is already set or not, or maybe you want to try something new this year, this Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style makes a wonderful side dish that will compliment your holiday turkey. Try this recipe!
Thanks for Pinning!
Need a few more ideas for side dishes to try?
…take a peek into our: 10 Favorite Thanksgiving Sides!
Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style!
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Side Dish / Casserole
Serves: 8 servings
Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style ~ is made with browned crumbled sausages, store-bought stuffing, grated pecorino cheese, fresh herbs, golden raisins and extra virgin olive oil. Baked in a casserole dish, this stuffing is super easy, flavorful and so delicious!
- 1 pound (or 1+1/2 pound) crumbled Italian sweet pork sausage
- 1 bag (14-ounce) Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Classic Stuffing (about 8 cups)
- 2 large onions - finely minced
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- ½ Tbsp. fresh chopped sage
- 1 + ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup Golden raisins (1.5 ounce small box)
- ½ cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 + ½ cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. butter - sliced into 9 pieces
- Preheat oven to Bake at 325 F degrees. Lightly drizzle the bottom of a 9" X 13" baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, cook the crumbled sausages for a few minutes until they are brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Don't worry, they will finish cooking in the stuffing while baking in the oven.
- Meanwhile, finely mince the onions using a mini chopper, or food processor. Set aside.
- In an extra large bowl, open package of stuffing and toss into the bowl.
- Add the minced onions, fresh herbs, seasonings, raisins, grated Pecorino cheese and extra-virgin olive oil. Then add in the cooked crumbled sausage.
- Using a large spoon to mix the mixture thoroughly for a few minutes until the entire mixture is moisten from the olive oil. The stuffing will feel heavy as you are mixing, but continue to stir the mixture to ensure the stuffing is evenly mixed.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into your prepared baking dish. Spread evenly. Scatter across the top with pieces of butter, about 9 slices across the top. Then COVER with foil wrap.(Here is where you can refrigerate until ready to bake, up to 2 days. If you refrigerate, allow the stuffing to sit on counter to warm up to room temperature, at least 1 hour before baking).
- BAKE at 325 F degrees, COVERED for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, uncover and let is rest for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle on top with some freshly chopped parsley, as garnish.
- Serves 8
If you make this Thanksgiving Stuffing-Sicilian Style, snap a photo and hashtag it #2sistersrecipes. We’d love to see what you cook! And share the photo on our Pinterest as well!
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz