Farfalle pasta gets tossed with chicken, capers, sundried tomatoes, fresh spinach and arugula in a delicate velvety sauce made with white wine, butter, chicken broth and light cream. This is a fabulous pasta dish with 5 healthy ingredients which turns it into a satisfying, one plate meal!! A dish SO good, everyone will ask for seconds.
My family was craving for pasta the other night and since I made it, well I decided to post it.
It happens to be one of my families favorite dishes for dinner, and quite frankly, I love it too because it’s super easy for me to put it together in no time. The sauce is the secret to this amazing pasta dish. It’s very light, delicate and very tasty. Not heavy with a ton of calories.
I decided to make a quick sauce for this pasta dish using ingredients I currently have in my pantry. Plus, everything is cooked in one large skillet, makes it easy for cleanup!
All you need is one package of chicken cutlets and cut each cutlet into 2-inch strips. Then sauté the chicken in a deep skillet with olive oil, butter, garlic and red pepper flakes. Next, add in capers, sundried tomatoes, white wine, vegetable broth and some half-and-half cream, and the sauce is done!
When farfalle pasta is ready, toss all ingredients together. At the last minute, throw in a handful of fresh baby spinach and baby arugula into the mix; and by all means, feel free to add as much as you like, they will quickly wilt into the mix. These fresh healthy greens add nutrients along with vibrant color to the dish.
One pot wonder or one dish meal, whatever you may call this pasta dish, it’s nutritional in content and delicious to eat! Because it contains carbs, protein and healthy greens, it is a win-win in all categories! Nothing fancy – just big on flavor! I loved the fact it took about 20 minutes to get it to the table, and the rave reviews coming from my family-were even better!
A simple, refreshing white wine is a perfect partner for this dish. Try a Pinot Grigio from the Alto Adige region of Italy.
Cheers and ENJOY!!
Farfalle with Chicken, Capers, Sundried Tomatoes and Spinach
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves- sliced
- 3 skinless chicken cutlets- cut into 2-inch strips
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 5 to 6 sundried tomatoes in oil – chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, or half-and-half light cream
- 1 pound Farfalle (bow-ties) pasta
- 1 package
- 3 cups packed mixed fresh baby spinach and baby arugula
- grated Parmesan cheese, at table for serving
1. In a large skillet, on medium heat, heat olive oil, butter, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
Sauté garlic until golden, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt and pepper, and sauté until chicken is fully cooked, about 4 minutes.
2. Add capers, sundried tomatoes, and white wine and reduce heat to simmer for 2 minutes.
Add in vegetable broth and cover with a lid. Continue to simmer until the broth is heated thru.
Then stir in the cream and simmer until cream slightly thickens. Turn off heat.
3. Meantime, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the boiling water.
Add farfalle (bow-ties) pasta and cook pasta until al-dente, about 6 minutes.
Reserve 1/4 cup of boiling water and set aside.
4. Drain pasta. Transfer pasta back into the pot. Slowly, transfer the entire skillet with the chicken mixture and cream sauce into the pot. Add in fresh baby spinach and arugula and the
reserved water. Toss the pasta until everything is well combined. Remove from heat.
Serve into individual bowls with grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
Serves 4 to 6