Parmesan Pastry Pups are cocktail size beef franks rolled in puff pastry and topped with grated Parmesan cheese, then baked until they are golden and crispy. A homemade version of our favorite pigs in the blanket, similar to the ones from Trader Joe’s.
If you can’t get to Trader Joes, or don’t have one near by, don’t worry. In just a few simple steps, you can make these delicious Parmesan pastry pups right in your own kitchen.
These are all beef, nitrate-free franks that are simply wrapped in a buttery, flaky pastry that is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The Parmesan cheese on top gives the extra crispiness to the already flaky crust, thus enhancing it, elevating these appetizers to look elegant.
Cocktail size franks are perfect to use to make these appetizers, but if you can’t find them, regular size franks will work just fine. All you have to do is cut each frank into thirds or more. Then roll each one into a triangle shape pastry, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese on top and bake.
If you buy regular size hot dogs, they usually come 7 to 8 franks in a package; and depending how small you cut them, ( into thirds or quarters) will yield about 21 to 28 cocktail size franks or more.
These pastry pups make terrific hor d’oeuvres, and classic finger-food for any gathering. Great to serve them with your favorite condiment for dipping.
Keep in mind, they’re addicting! If you’re planning to have a large crowd, double the recipe!
Here’s a tip: Keeping packages of cocktail size or regular size franks along with boxes of puff pastry sheets in the freezer is a good idea for you have on hand. You can easily whip up these appetizers when you need them, even on short notice.
Parmesan Pastry Pups by Trader Joes
- 1 box of frozen Puff Pastry Sheets – thawed for 20 to 30 minutes
- 1 package of nitrate-free, all beef franks, or cocktail size franks
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ketchup and mustard, for dipping
- 1 baking mat for baking sheet
Remove sheets from the box of Puff Pastry Sheets and allow to thaw at room temperature for about 20 – 30 minutes, or until they are easy to handle.
2. When the sheet is easy to handle, UNFOLD pastry sheet and lay it onto a baking mat or a lightly floured surface. The sheets are already divided into 3 strips, making it easy to slice each one into 4 triangles. NO need to roll the pastry.
Cut first pastry sheet into 3 strips along the folded marks. Then cut each strip into 4 triangles, to give you a total of 12 triangles for each pastry sheet. Repeat with second pastry sheet.
Here’s a tip: If you have a few extra cocktail franks, then cut one or two triangles again down the middle, to make extra triangles to roll them in.
4. Take one triangle at a time, grab a cocktail frank and roll the frank, then lightly pinch the pastry dough to seal it. Place each one onto a baking sheet. You can place them onto parchment paper, or a baking mat, or lightly grease a baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top each one. Lightly press the cheese onto each pup.
6. Place baking sheet in the middle rack of oven. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they turn golden brown.
7. Remove and serve!
Yields: 24 -26 pastry pups