Apple-Oatmeal Cookies are dairy-free, soft, chewy cookies that are loaded with rolled oats, apples, and bittersweet chocolate chips. Although the original recipe included a lot of sugar and butter, I decided to omit them completely to make the cookies healthier.
- These are chewy and delicious tasting.
- Dairy-free, and refined sugar-free.
- Made with staple and wholesome ingredients.
- Loaded with freshly chopped apple, rolled oats, and chocolate chips.
- Only 66 calories per serving (for 2 cookies!).
- The bittersweet chocolate chips (which contain less sugar than semi-sweet) add more than just flavor, they add some antioxidants in there as well.
The Back Story to these cookies…
About 10 years ago, my parents came down to stay with us for a few weeks. Our sweet Dad, who is a Diabetic type 2, was having a difficult time getting his sugar levels down (not even his meds were working).
His sugar levels have been very high lately, up around 150 or more and that frustrated him, to say the least.
So I decided to help, by making a few small changes in his diet.
Making Small Changes…
Decided to put my Dad on a strict sugar-free diet and insist that he walk at least 30 minutes daily.
He LOVES his milk with coffee in the mornings, so I decided to switch his milk (which has 12g of sugar) to Almond milk which has Og of sugar, along with other changes in his diet.
In just a few days, I got his sugar level down to 108. A miracle!
Apple-Oatmeal Cookies are soft, chewy, and delicious-tasting cookies, perfect for the whole family!
They turned out really good!
Better than I imagined. I enjoy having 2 cookies with my coffee, and best of all, Dad does too!
A Few Baking Tips for Success…
- Also, remember that dark cookie sheets absorb more heat and tend to burn cookies on their bottoms before baking is complete.
- These cookies bake up quickly. So, you will need to check after a few minutes of baking, to make sure they’re not overdone on the bottoms, especially if using a dark cookie sheet.
To Store and Freeze…
- Best to keep these cookies in a sealed container, and kept chilled. They will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
- They freeze well too, for up to two weeks.
Also, try our additional recipes for cookies:
- Healthy Oatmeal Cranberry Nut Cookies
- Pumpkin Cranberry Nut Cookies
- and our “gluten-free” Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pecan Cookies.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1 + 1/2 cups (135 grams) quick rolled oats ( I used Quaker Oats)
- 1/2 cup ( 75 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (96 grams) whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup (118 grams) finely chopped apple ( Fuji, Delicious, or Granny Smith)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (85 grams) honey
- 1/4 cup (54.5 grams) vegetable oil (I used canola)
- 1/3 cup (85 grams) Almond milk ( or any non-dairy)
- 1/4 cup (40 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips ( I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. ( No Mixer needed, just a good wooden spoon)
- In a large bowl, combine oats, both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Next, stir in the apples, egg, honey, oil, and milk. Mix to form a smooth batter.
- Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips until well combined.
- Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Yields: 3 dozen
Yield:3 dozen (36 cookies)
Serving Size:2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 2.8gCarbohydrates: 9.3gFiber: .7gSugar: 3.3gProtein: 1.2g
…Thanks for Pinning!
That’s it, friends!
Are you baking with us? If you try these apple-oatmeal cookies, let us know and leave a comment! Have fun snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and leave one on Pinterest.
\We’d love to see what you bake!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes “FREE” every time we post! Also, follow us on Facebook too.
Happy and Healthy Baking! 🙂
xo Anna and Liz
|Serving size: 2 cookies|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2.8g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1.1g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.3g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3%|
|Total Sugars 3.3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||2%|