Spaghetti with Roasted Eggplant, Fresh Tomatoes and Mozzarella. Roasted eggplant, fresh basil and little pearls of fresh mozzarella are tossed with a quick saute of fresh tomatoes and spaghetti. We love eggplant and it is sensational with pasta. The flavor of fresh eggplant is concentrated when roasted, making this dish so yummy, it’s superb!
My husband asked me if I can make a light dinner, requesting no meat or fish. I always make an effort to make something that will incorporate some vegetables. This time I decided to use eggplants.
I had an abundance of fresh garden tomatoes, one large eggplant, and lots of basil. Spaghetti dishes are always popular in our family, and making this dish into one was a no-brainer.
I roasted cubes of eggplant for about 20 minutes. Then I used fresh ripe tomatoes to make a quick sauce in a skillet.
When spaghetti was ready to be tossed with everything, I added the little pearls of fresh mozzarella at the very last minute so it softens slightly without getting stringy. Don’t worry if you can’t find pearl-size mozzarella balls. You can easily chop fresh mozzarella into 1/2-inch cubes. Works just fine!
And ….. Dinner was done!
Spaghetti with Roasted Eggplant, Fresh Tomatoes and Mozzarella turned out fantastic!
This dish was relatively easy to put it all together as it took me only 1/2 hour to get it to the table. The outcome was really good, everyone was happy – and that makes me happy!
- 1 large eggplant (almost 2 pounds), cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 medium onions -chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves- thinly sliced
- 5 ripe tomatoes on the vine- chopped
- ½ pound spaghetti pasta
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) fresh mozzarella pearls
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss and spread the eggplant on a baking sheet. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes, until tender and brown.
- In the meantime, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, ½ teaspoon salt and some fresh cracked pepper. Cook until the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the fresh basil and stir in 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Fold in the roasted eggplant. Turn off heat.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente.
- Drain. Toss the spaghetti into the skillet with the eggplant, basil, tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella. And serve immediately.