String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew ~ are slowly simmered with onions, fresh basil and olive oil until they are softened and tender. This dish makes a wonderful and tasty vegetable stew in about 30 minutes. A simple Italian stew like this one becomes the ultimate vegetarians delight!
As kids, our mother always made our Dad’s favorite stew and so I decided to make it for my husband on a meatless Monday. Well, I have to tell you this simple vegetable “stew” was so good, my husband couldn’t stop eating it.
String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew is SO flavorful and easy to make! You only need a little prep with some fresh vegetables which included fresh green beans, fresh ripe tomatoes, potatoes, onions and fresh basil. The key to its wonderful flavors, is in the fresh basil -so don’t skip it.
This vegetable stew is another great way to use your green beans. No need to simmer for hours, only 20 to 30 minutes and it’s done! You can serve this wonderful meatless stew as a first course or even as the main course.
Great for those days you feel like having a light meal for lunch or dinner. Serve hot or warm with a green salad and you have a delicious, healthy and low-calorie meal! Enjoy!
Also try our Dad’s Favorite Vegetarian Italian Stew, it’s loaded with Swiss Chard!
Thanks for stopping by! And have a great day!
String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Dinner / Lunch
Serves: 4 to 6
String Beans, Tomato, Potato Stew ~ are slowly simmered with onions, fresh basil and olive oil until they are softened and tender. This dish makes a wonderful and tasty vegetable stew. A simple Italian stew like this one becomes the ultimate vegetarians delight!
- 1+1/2 pounds fresh string beans -cut in halves
- 5 to 6 golden potatoes- peeled, cut in quarters
- 1 large onion - chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 fresh tomatoes - cut in quarters
- 6 leaves of fresh basil
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup water
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium size pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and add the cayenne pepper and fresh basil.
- Add the potatoes. Then add the green beans on top of the potatoes.
- Pour in ½ cup of water.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are softened, and green beans are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
- Serves 4 to 6