Chicken Wonton Soup is easy to make and loaded with flavor! We know that college students, and even grad students don’t have time to make fancy meals. So when I needed to show my daughter how to make a simple, super easy chicken soup in a matter of minutes, this idea for chicken wonton soup was created! Best of all, this soup is ready to serve in 20 minutes!
We all know that winter is soup season, and soup is really our one essential “go-to” for a quick meal, especially during chilly nights. My family loves to come home to the smell of something cooking in the kitchen and when they realize it’s soup- they’re even happier.
Making this chicken wonton soup was a breeze! As soon as I got home, I pulled open a carton of organic broth, threw into a soup pot, added some veggies to it and let it simmer for awhile while I checked on my daily mail, and settled in.
How to Make Chicken Wonton Soup
I made it using my staple ingredients as the base for all my soups- celery, carrot, onion, garlic and olive oil, only this time I simmered these ingredients with chicken broth for a few minutes until they soften.
Then at the very last minute, dropped in frozen mini wontons and simmered for 2 minutes more and the soup was ready.
These days, I prefer to keep packages of frozen mini wontons on hand lately. I found these from Trader Joe’s. They come in a variety of packages filled with cabbage, chicken and mixed veggies and they’re not expensive at all.
Mini wontons are convenient to pull out when you need a quick appetizer before dinner, or just when you need to drop them into a pot of soup like I did here.
This chicken wonton soup always turns out delicious! Your family and friends will enjoy this soup as much as we do!
Now, to end the story I started, when my daughter came home, she quickly picked up a tub of this soup and said she was in a hurry while she was running out the door.
And even though I showed her how to make this Chicken Wonton Soup, lets just say, this was one of those soups I hope she’ll attempt to make it on her own. …I’m being optimistic 🙂
Eat in or carry out, it’s a versatile recipe to accommodate everyone on the go!! Serve it with our grilled cheese and pear sandwich and dinner is done!
Enjoy this Soup!!
Don’t forget to save, tag or PIN it to your Soup Board! Thanks again!
You might enjoy a few more soups!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 small onion or 2 green onions- chopped
- 1 garlic clove- chopped
- 1 stalk of celery - thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot - thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounce package of frozen mini wontons
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, add in the chicken broth, onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Cover and bring to a simmer on medium-low heat for about 6 minutes.
- Add in olive oil, and slowly drop in frozen wontons.
- Raise the heat to bring to a low boil, then reduce to a low simmer for 2 more minutes. Wontons should be tender to the bite, they cook up quickly.
- Turn off heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. And serve.
- Serves 6