Chicken Wonton Soup. We know that college students, and even grad students don’t have time to make fancy meals. So I decided to show my daughter how to make a simple, super easy chicken wonton soup in a matter of minutes! With a few staple ingredients and a package of frozen mini wontons, anyone can make this delicious soup to serve anytime!
We all know that fall is soup season, and soup is really our one essential “go-to” for a quick meal, especially during the fall’s chilly nights. My family loves to come home to the smell of something cooking in the kitchen and when they realize it’s soup- they’re even happier.
Making this chicken wonton soup was a breeze! As soon as I got home, I pulled open a carton of organic broth, threw into a soup pot, added some veggies to it and let it simmer for awhile while I checked on my daily mail, and settled in.
I made it using my staple ingredients as I do for all soups- celery, carrot, onion, garlic and olive oil, only this time I simmered these ingredients with chicken broth for a few minutes until they soften, then at the very last minute, dropped in frozen mini wontons and simmered for 2 minutes more and soup was ready.
These days, I prefer to keep packages of frozen mini wontons on hand lately. I found these from Trader Joe’s. They come in a variety of packages filled with cabbage, chicken and mixed veggies and they’re not expensive at all.
Mini wontons are convenient to pull out when you need a quick appetizer before dinner, or just when you need to drop them into a pot of soup like I did here.
Now, to end the story I started, when my daughter came home, she quickly picked up a tub of this soup and said she was in a hurry while she was running out the door.
And even though I showed her how to make this Chicken Wonton Soup, lets just say, this was one of those soups I hope she’ll attempt to make it while she’s at school.
Eat in or carry out, it’s a versatile recipe to accommodate everyone on the go!!
Enjoy this one!!
And try another one of our favorites: Chicken Noodle Soup with Mini Meatballs!
Chicken Wonton Soup
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Lunch or Dinner
Chicken Wonton Soup is super easy, and delicious! Makes dinner a snap! Drop frozen mini wontons into chicken broth with veggies, simmer for 2 minutes and it's done!
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 small onion or 2 green onions- chopped
- 1 garlic clove- chopped
- 1 stalk of celery - thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot - thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounce package of frozen mini wontons
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, add in the chicken broth, onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Cover and bring to a simmer on medium-low heat for about 6 minutes.
- Add in olive oil, and slowly drop in frozen wontons.
- Raise the heat to bring to a low boil, then reduce to a low simmer for 2 more minutes. Wontons should be tender to the bite, they cook up quickly.
- Turn off heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. And serve.
- Serves 6