Our Baked Crusted Cod (Keto) always turn out moist, flaky, and exquisitely flavorful with every forkful. It is coated with a panko-cheese mixture and baked with cherry tomatoes, olive oil, and lemon juice on top. This seafood recipe is simple and loaded with rich savory flavors, it is so darn delicious, you’ll enjoy every bite!
For those who never baked fish before, codfish is the perfect seafood to try.
Cod is a simple fish that can be flavored and seasoned with your favorite veggies and ingredients and baked in the oven. And, it is not a “fishy” fish, either.
For this recipe, you will need a few pieces of fresh cod, plus 3 main ingredients to make it taste amazing!
Our baked crusted cod is baked in the oven with rich olive oil, fresh cherry tomatoes, and lemon juice.
It always turns out moist, juicy, and savory.
… Trust me. It is EXQUISITE! 😉
Plus, this dish will surely make everyone once more discover “cod.” It’s the perfect seafood for the whole family and great for kids since codfish is boneless.
What is CodFish?
- Cod is a deep cold-water fish. It is known to be a white meaty fish with a mild flavor and loaded with nutrients.
- It’s commonly used for making fried fish and chips, and fish sandwiches.
How To Buy Codfish?
Most of the time, Codfish is the least expensive fish you can buy. When looking to buy cod at your local seafood market, we recommend asking the fishmonger for a thicker or center cut of the fish.
The thicker the cut, the better it is for this recipe.
A few quick tips!
- It’s best to buy codfish at your local fish market. It is fresher. No need to thaw, nor any downtime to cook it.
- One large thick piece of cod (about 1 pound, up to 1.5 pounds) and you can divide it into thirds, or even four pieces. But today, I cut mine into 3 pieces.
- Fresh cod fish has no fish smell or odor. Ask, if you can sniff it before buying it.
- The olive oil will keep the fish moist while baking, so don’t leave it out.
How to Make Baked Crusted Cod?
For our baked crusted cod recipe, you will need only a handful of ingredients, plus some codfish.
There are a few easy steps to follow, so gather the ingredients, and let’s get started!
1. Season the Cod:
Prepare the pieces of cod with some seasonings. Sprinkle over the fish with some salt and black or lemon pepper. Options: you can include some garlic or onion powder.
2. Prepare the Ingredients For Coating:
For this recipe, you will need 2 bowls. I decided to make a panko bread crumb mixture. In one bowl, stir together the ingredients to make the panko bread crumb mixture. In the second, pour extra virgin olive oil for dipping.
3. Dip and Coat the Fish:
Dip each piece of cod (one at a time) into the olive oil, and coat all sides. Allow the excess oil to drip back into the bowl. Then coat with panko bread crumb mixture. Transfer into an 8 x 10-inch baking dish. No need to coat the baking dish with anything.
4. Add the Tomatoes and Olive Oil:
Scatter on top the fish with sliced cherry tomatoes. Then drizzle over the fish with the remaining extra virgin olive oil from the bowl. (No waste here!)
Then Scatter freshly chopped parsley over the entire dish.
5. BAKE the Cod:
Place your baking dish into a preheated oven, at 400 degrees F (200C) for 15 to 18 minutes.
6. FINAL STEP, Increase the Oven Temperature and ADD Lemon Juice:
Here is where you will need to increase the temperature to 450F (232C). Then pour lemon juice over the fish and continue to bake for the last 5 to 8 minutes or more.
Remove and serve. Be sure to spoon all the remaining juices, tomatoes, and olive oil around each serving of cod.
QUESTIONS and ANSWERS…
1. What To Serve Baked Cod With?
There are so many great dishes and sides to serve with this baked-crusted cod recipe. A few favorite sides include:
- white rice
- oven-fried sweet potatoes
- or roasted baby red and yukon potatoes
- a crisp green salad
- mashed cauliflower
- easy garlic mashed potatoes.
2. Can We Use Frozen Cod?
- Although it’s ideal to cook seafood fresh, from your local fish market, frozen cod can be used for this recipe.
- To thaw frozen cod, place it in your refrigerator and let it thaw overnight.
- If you’re short on time, you can thaw frozen cod in your sink and run cool, or cold water over the fish until totally thawed. Then drain for a few minutes.
3. How To Tell When Cod is Fully Cooked?
- Cod is fully cooked when it flakes off with a fork.
- Another way to tell is if you take a knife and slice one piece down the center to check. It will be easy to cut through and should be pearly white, moist, and flaky.
4. What Kind of Wine to Serve with Baked Crusted Cod?
And, of course, if you’re looking for a wine recommendation, try a chilled citrus-flavored white wine like a Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc which goes perfectly with this buttery fish.
5. How to Store Leftovers?
It is best to store any seafood leftovers in a sealed container and keep it chilled in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 2 days (48 hours). We do
6. How to Reheat Baked Crusted Cod?
- You can reheat crusted cod in a preheated oven or toaster oven at 350 F, and reheat the cod on a foil tray or baking sheet for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Also, if you plan to reheat the cod in a microwave, you may do so by using the settings at “30 seconds” intervals, for up to 1 to 2 minutes. Always keep an eye on it, once it starts to sizzle, you can stop and remove it from the microwave.
Cook’s NOTES and TIPS for Baked Crusted Cod:
- The temperature to bake will start at 400 degrees F, for most of the baking, then the temperature will be increased to 450 degrees F for the final minutes of baking. This will ensure the fish will be fully cooked, but also, it will seal its moisture internally.
- Keep in mind, that all ovens vary, and therefore, the cooking times will vary as well.
- This recipe will yield about 3 to 4 servings. And you can easily double this recipe, including all the ingredients for a larger family or gathering.
- Serve this cod with a side of steamed rice, couscous, or quinoa, and maybe a green salad to go with it, making dinner easy.
You’re family and guests will enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
This recipe for Baked Crusted Cod is adaptable to mahi-mahi, halibut, snapper, and sea bass.
Give it a try.
Additional Recipes for Cod… try these:
More ideas and recipes to Bake or Roast Seafood…
- Flounder Filet Rollatini
- Easy Baked Swordfish
- Baked Halibut & Sea Bass Oreganata
- Pan-Seared Mahi Mahi
- Baked Shrimp Scampi Dinner
- Easy Baked Salmon with Marinade
- Bake or Roast Branzino with Lemon
- 1 pound (16 to 18-ounces) of Cod - divided into 3 pieces
- salt & black pepper - to season the fish
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 16 cherry tomatoes - sliced in halves
- 1 lemon - juiced ( 1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
Crusted Crumb Mixture:
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 dashes of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. herbs de Provence
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200C). (Then later we will increase it).
- Divide the cod into 3 equal sections. Season the fish with some salt and black pepper.
- Grab two small bowls. In one small mixing bowl, stir the panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, herbs, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- In a second small bowl, pour the extra virgin olive oil.
- One at a time. Take one piece of cod, dip it and all sides into the olive oil, and allow the excess oil to drip back into the bowl. Then transfer into the panko-cheese mixture and pat it on all sides to coat it evenly,
- Place it into an 8 x 10 baking dish. Repeat with the remaining two pieces of cod.
- Next, scatter sliced cherry tomatoes over the fish and around them. Drizzle with all of the remaining extra-virgin olive oil over the entire dish. Use a spatula to get every drop of remaining olive oil. No waste here!
- Scatter with freshly chopped parsley. Then lightly sprinkle some salt over the tomatoes and fish.
- Transfer the baking dish to the middle rack of your oven. BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Next, CHANGE the oven Temperature to 450 degrees F ( 230C). Carefully remove the baking dish and drizzle all the lemon juice over each piece of cod. Return it to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until the crust is golden around the edges, the tomatoes slightly melted, and the oil on the bottom is sizzling and bubbling.
- Remove and allow the fish to rest for 2 minutes. Serve each fish on individual serving plates, and spoon all the remaining juices, melted tomatoes, and olive oil around each serving. Serve immediately.
- Serves 3
Keep in mind, all ovens are different and will vary in temperature. Depending on how thick the codfish is, baking times will also vary. For thicker cuts of cod, baking times can range from 25 to 35 minutes, and thinner pieces can bake from 15 to 25 minutes.
Serving Size:1 serving ( about 4 to 6 ounces)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 20.6gCarbohydrates: 28.3gFiber: 8.9gSugar: 12.6gProtein: 43g
Thanks for PINNING!
If you make our baked crusted cod, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating! We’d love to hear from you. Sharing your insights and experiences helps everyone who reads them, and helps us too!
If you are looking for help with personal nutrition for a healthy lifestyle, check out GreatNutritionDesigns.com.
And, don’t forget to enter your email and subscribe in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get new recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!
Happy and Healthy Baking! 🙂
thanks for stopping by…
xo anna and liz