Incredibly moist, this Gluten-Free French Chocolate Cake is topped with a luscious layer of chocolate ganache. Decadent with a melt-in-your-mouth texture, this is a 5-star chocolate cake! It is a cross between a chocolate torte and a chocolate molten cake. Best of all, it is budget-friendly, keto-friendly, and gluten-free.
French Chocolate Cake…
The French are such wonderful bakers and they make the most decadent and delicious desserts and pastries.
And, this recipe makes the perfect cake for any occasion.
It has a molten-like texture that is rich and gooey with every bite. It reminds me of my popular dessert, my mini brownie cups filled with Nutella. Everyone loves them.
This recipe will give you a small 8-inch round cake, about 2 inches thick – but it still is amazingly delicious!
Everyone loves chocolate cake and one that’s rich and similar to a molten cake. ...is even better!
This chocolate cake is quick and easy to make, using simple pantry ingredients.
For this recipe, you will need only 6 ingredients and it’s blended in one bowl and baked in a springform pan.
Baking time? …about 35 minutes.
Best of all, no fancy equipment is needed to make it, only a good whisk will do!
Ingredients Needed for Gluten-Free French Chocolate Cake:
semi-sweet chocolate chips
brewed espresso coffee (or 1/2 tsp. instant coffee)
organic coconut flour
Some QUICK TIPS for Success!
- It’s best to place the cake onto a sheet pan and then bake it on the center rack of the oven.
- You can start making the ganache while the cake is baking in the oven.
- Use the same bowl and method to make the chocolate ganache. First, heat up the heavy cream in the bowl then toss in the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate completely melts into a smooth ganache.
- Also, the ganache, if you prefer you can melt the chips in the microwave. (see my notes in the recipe card)
- Set the ganache aside and wait until the cake has cooled a little before spreading it on top.
Baking time will vary. Depending on the oven you use, the time will vary.
A toothpick will NOT come out clean. You will know when the cake is done, when it puffs up, shows cracks on top, and it doesn’t wobble when you jiggle the pan.
Don’t be alarmed, the cake will deflate as it cools.
The amount of time to bake this cake will vary also to the pan size. I used an 8-inch round springform pan. All pans are different, so keep an eye on the cake while baking.
If this French Chocolate Cake is still warm when you serve it? …it’s even better!
Serve it with some vanilla ice cream on the side or with some sweetened whipped cream. YUM!
This gluten-free French chocolate cake is a rich and elegant dessert and one your family and friends will enjoy!
Try this recipe – it won’t disappoint.
Can I Make this Cake EGGLESS?
Yes, you can! There are several options that will work when substituting eggs in this recipe. As always, substitutions may slightly change the texture of this cake.
1/4 cup Silken Tofu per egg
or, 1/4 cup plain yogurt per egg
or, 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce per egg
Finally, Additional Chocolate Desserts…
- Cranberry Buttercream Chocolate Cake
- Best Decadent Chocolate Cake
- Eggless Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
- Quick & Easy Toffee Bars (gluten-free & nut-free)
- Mini Brownie Cups Filled with Nutella
- Mint Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies (VEGAN)
- Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread – The Chocolate Lover’s Bread!
Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 43 minutes
- 12 Tbsp. (185 grams) unsalted butter, plus extra to grease the pan
- 1 cup (8-ounces, or 170 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) brown sugar
- 3 large eggs - lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. of brewed espresso coffee (or 1/2 tsp. instant coffee)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup (30.8 grams) of organic coconut flour
For the GANACHE:
- 1 cup (170 grams) additional semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to Bake at 350 degrees F (176.7 C). Butter and flour an 8-inch springform pan, and line the bottom with a fitted parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Place a large heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the boiling water does not touch the bowl. Place butter and chocolate chips in the bowl, slowly stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter completely melt. Take the bowl off the heat and set it aside.
- First, whisk the sugar into the chocolate mixture. Next, whisk in the beaten eggs, coffee, and salt. Add the coconut flour and SLOWLY whisk it into the chocolate mixture until it's well incorporated (about 10 to 15 strokes).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place it on a sheet pan. Transfer to the middle rack of the oven.
- BAKE for 30 to 40 minutes. Bake until the top of the cake puffs up and cracks and the cake doesn't wobble when you jiggle the pan. (NOTE: A toothpick will NOT come out clean.)
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool while on the counter or cooling rack. The cake will deflate as it cools. Run a small knife around the cake to remove the sides from the pan. Then open the clip and remove the pan from the cake. Gently flip over the cake into the palm of your hand, to remove the bottom of the cake pan. Then transfer the cake onto your cake plate.
- Allow the cake to slightly cool before adding the chocolate ganache on top.
For the GANACHE:
- Melt 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips, with 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. You can do this in the microwave ( melt increments of 45 to 60 seconds) or on the stovetop in the same bowl, and over simmering water, and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Set it aside and allow the ganache to slightly cool before spreading on top of the cake.
- Then when ready, pour the ganache over the cake and use a knife or small spatula to spread over the top of the cake. Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar on top. Then set it aside until you are ready to serve. If you feel the need to, you can lightly cover (but do not touch the cake) with foil wrap.
- Best served slightly warm or at room temperature. Cut the cake into wedges and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream on the side.
- Keep covered with clear wrap, store on the counter for up to one day.
- Serves 6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:6 to 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Protein: 3.7g