Here’s a great way to sneak veggies into your favorite meal, try our Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp and swap out the pasta for a healthy vegetable. Juicy shrimps sauteed with delicious garlic and wine sauce and stirred with the squash. If I close my eyes the flavors in this seafood dish took me back to Italy. And I’m sure it will take you back to your favorite place too.
Shrimps are quickly sauteed with olive oil, garlic, and fresh ripe tomato. In addition, the sauce is created with a few more staple ingredients, then it is combined with the squash, and it’s served.
Amazingly easy, flavorful. … and sooooo delicious!
For this dish, the shrimp and its sauce take about 10 minutes to cook, but the squash should be cooked first, either in the oven or in the microwave.
This can be done ahead, even the day before.
When you cook the squash, then you can easily scrape the flesh with a fork, creating the thin strands of “spaghetti.” Once the squash is ready, then it’s simmered in the skillet along with the shrimp and its sauce.
Delicious veggie-loaded meal.
Spaghetti squash is great to keep on hand during the fall and winter months. It is so versatile!
Try stirring some with some Fresh Basil Pesto Sauce, or try one of our favorite recipes for Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce.
Plus, you can toss some spaghetti squash (about 3/4 cup) into your soups, to create a “noodle effect” in the soup.
It’s a nice change from eating pasta, and the whole family will love it too. 🙂
*TIP FOR CUTTING SQUASH…
As a safety precaution, you can poke or prick the squash, using a fork. Then place the entire thing into the oven or microwave for a few minutes to soften the rind a little. This will help, and allow you to cut the squash lengthwise (without hurting yourself).
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash in OVEN:
First, cut the squash lengthwise in half, using a spoon, and scoop and discard all the seeds.
Drizzle and rub the squash inside with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt, and pepper.
Place the squash cut side down, on a baking pan, cover with foil wrap.
BAKE in the oven at 400 degrees F (204C), and cook for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the rind is slightly soft and gives with a little pressure.
How To Cook Squash in MICROWAVE:
Cut the squash lengthwise, and scoop and discard all the seeds. Place the squash cut side down on a safe ceramic plate.
Microwave squash on high until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and use a fork to scrape the flesh.
Yields: 4 to 5 cups of “spaghetti” strands
What You Need to Make Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp:
2 pounds of spaghetti squash
1/2 pound of shrimp (about 15 -16 shrimps)
extra virgin olive oil
5 to 6 garlic cloves
crushed red pepper flakes
1 ripe tomato
vegetable or chicken broth
Optional: grated Parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper
*Full Recipe Card Below…
Cook’s NOTES and TIPS…
Buy shrimp at your local seafood market or at Whole Foods, already cleaned and deveined. I left the tails on them to give more flavor to this dish. But if you prefer, you can remove their tails.
Before cooking the shrimps, always run the shrimp under cold running water for a few minutes to clean them. Then drain in a colander.
Cooking is all about flavor. Spaghetti squash has no flavor to it at all. So when it comes to making this vegetable flavorful we need to saute it with something delicious, like this recipe.
Spaghetti squash is a nutrient-dense food. It’s low in calories but high in key vitamins and minerals, and is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6.
Try our Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp recipe and let us know! … and Buon Appetito!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 2 pounds of spaghetti squash
- 1/2 pound of shrimp ( about 15 -16 shrimps)- already cleaned, deveined, rinsed
- 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves - diced
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ripe tomato - diced
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- Optional: 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
TO COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH IN OVEN:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204.4 C).
- First, cut the squash lengthwise in half, using a spoon, and scoop and discard all the seeds. Drizzle and rub the squash inside with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt, and pepper. Place the squash cut side down, on a baking pan, cover with foil wrap.
- Place in a preheated oven and cook for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the rind is slightly soft and gives with a little pressure.
- With a fork, scrape the flesh into a bowl, creating the thin strands of "spaghetti." Cover and keep warm. This can be done ahead and rewarmed in the oven or microwave.
TO COOK THE SHRIMP:
- In a large skillet, on moderate heat, add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Toss in the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Saute for about 1 minute, to fragrant the olive oil.
- Toss in the diced tomatoes and saute for about 2 minutes, or until they softened.
- Add the shrimp, and season with salt.
- Cook the shrimp for about 1 minute, then turn each one over. Pour in the white wine, and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30 to 45 seconds. Then pour in the vegetable broth, toss in the butter and fresh parsley, and cover with the lid. Simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the sauce reduces a little. Optional: to thicken the sauce a little, stir the grated cheese into the sauce. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings, adding in more salt if needed.
- Then stir in about 2 cups of "spaghetti" squash (reserve the remaining for another recipe) into the skillet. Simmer until the squash is heated through.
- Finally, drizzle 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the mixture. Stir to combine. Then top with some fresh cracked black pepper to your taste. Turn off the heat and serve into individual dishes.
- Serves 3 to 4
The estimated time to make this dish does not include the baking time for the squash.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Carbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gProtein: 17g
…Thanks for PINNINIG!
More Delicious Shrimp Recipes!
Hey friends! Tried this delicious seafood dish? Let us know and leave a comment and star rating on our recipe card. We’d love to hear from you!
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Join our cooking and baking community and get our free E-book! …when you sign up for our newsletter and get our recipes FREE, every time we post, along with reminders of some great older ones too! This recipe was inspired and adapted from my recipe Easy Shrimp Dinner.
Follow us! Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Stay Healthy … and Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz